University of California Berkeley

Updated September 29, 2014
3.9

University of California Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas B. Dirks
Nicholas B. Dirks

Pros
  • The benefits are outstanding, and having work-life balance is actually possible (in 23 reviews)

• Flexible hours, I can basically try to work on the job at whenever a I want (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • the pay is low but it is made up by tuition remission (in 20 reviews)

• budget cuts make very basic needs (eg office supplies, custodial services) go unmet (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Resident Assistant (RA)

I worked at University of California Berkeley part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Free room and board
    -Depending on your supervisor and staff team, the position could be slightly enjoyable
    -Impacting 1st year students

Cons

-RA's work over the stipulated "19 hours/week," and management refuse to address this
    -No compensation besides free room and board, i.e. no stipend
    -Constant overhead from management
    -Power play from management team where RAs have little to no say about the position
    -Mandatory fall training that requires all hall staff members to return to campus 3 weeks before school begins. Management refuse to approve exemption even for students who are taking classes or have other commitments. Returning staff are required to go through the SAME training despite having done it the previous year.
    -Horrible employee retention.

Please listen to your student hall staff. They're student first, not workers. We're the pillars for our community, yet you ignore our feedback. Having spoken to dozens of current and past hall staff, everyone shares the negative sentiment for the department. Despite all this, you fail to address our feedback and concerns.

Most dysfunctional place I have ever worked.

Former Employee - Graduate Student  in  Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Graduate Student in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice weather and the food and local produce are very good.

Cons

I was working for a senior professor famous for marine biomechanics who was very abusive. I would describe more but I fear retribution from her, in the form of derogatory comments given in secret to block me from any further work in biomechanics research (which is a small community in which she has tremendous influence).

Academia is not a corporation. People matter, and senior people like professors can make or ruin the careers of many promising students, including those from underrepresented minorities.

Dismal treatment of staff, no upward growth, low pay

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley full-time for more than a year

Pros

Obviously having a State job allows one to have great benefits.

Cons

The supervisors/leadership is below standards. People in power positions do not heed the concerns of their staff. Many are underqualified to even be in a position of power. When you complain about management you are often subject to retaliation and ridicule.

Get new management. Train your supervisors to deal with interpersonal relationships within your units. Train your supervisors to also hold staff meetings which are a good time for employees to voice their concerns.

Reiterate the importance of treating fellow coworkers with civility regardless of what gender, sexual orientation, race etc.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Shared Services MESS

Current Employee - Research Administrator  in  Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Research Administrator in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great research is completed here. Great vacation & sick package. You can gain a lot of experience working a job with many hats.

Cons

Staff are underappreciated, low paying university, most staff know more than supervisors, everything is politics, low pay, and rude supervisors full of drama. Work has become even more demanding, short staff, room for growth is not as easy as it used to be.

Shared Services is a downfall. Everytime outside consultants who do not work in the day to day university life always make process harder especially if they do not understand federal and auditing policies. No one is happy.

Hostile work environment

Former Employee - Coordinator  in  Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley full-time for more than a year

Pros

Students are passionate. Academic environment and student culture are intellectually engaging. Some staff are passionate and fantastic. Good transit benefits.

Cons

Pay that is not competitive with the rest of the Bay Area. Long hours without appreciation of work nor of the desire to have a life outside of work. Inflexibility in working hours. Students who can make or break your career based upon whether they like you. Directive department heads who are unwilling to hear feedback. No tuition benefits. Claim to be innovative, but as a staff member you see that nearly everything is antiquated and people don't want to change from "it's always been done that way."

GSI

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher  in  Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

all the students love you

Cons

low pay. high workload. use graduate student as salve

the school should really get some funding sources

Cal is a better place to be as a student, disappointing as a full-time employee

I worked at University of California Berkeley full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Being around students in a learning environment can be exciting if you ever get the time to interact with them.

Cons

Staff people are thought of last. Faculty is treated best, then students. Some faculty won't even return emails and phone calls from staff. There is virtually no diversity in mid and senior leadership. This is the first place I became familiar with the term the "walking retired." People pretend that it is a meritocracy, but it's not. Strong performers don't get adequately compensated and those that don't work very hard I saw get the same annual performance increases as those who worked hard, just because they'd been there a long time. My manager wanted me to fudge records that correctly showed I worked well over 40 hours most weeks because she thought it made her look bad as mange(?!)

In a state as diverse as California, one would think that it would be impossible, for example, for MBA Career Management to be staffed with only heterosexual Caucasians and Chinese Americans.

beautiful mission, awful place

Former Employee - Assistant Professor  in  Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

students are wonderful; diverse and motivated. the mission of the school, and the entire UC system, is beautiful. on a catastrophic course now.

Cons

colleagues are corrupt, mediocre, and a poor representation of what the academy has to offer.

resign and put some fair-minded and ethical people in place.

Dysfunctional / building maintenance technicians

Current Employee - Building Maintenance Worker  in  Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Building Maintenance Worker in Berkeley, CA

Pros

Attractive benefit package...not much else .

Cons

Tenure in Building Maintenance RSSP, un-realistic work expectations, severely understaffed
    Supervisors don't care, little access to PPE's, high percentage of on the job injury history among employees, heavy lifting and physical work, exposure to asbestos and lead in the older buildings, poor morale, no room for advancement.

Hire more workers and less supervisors.

White collar welfare

Former Employee - Principal Engineer  in  Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Because of an overall lack of accountability, plenty of time to work on personal business and outside interests. Difficult to get fired. Objective performance goals and reviews are talked about, but frequently don't happen.

Cons

The academic senate (tenured professors) run the asylum. This is a wacky bunch of ego centric wackos. Most have never worked a day in outside industry and have no real world experience. Professors treat everyone like they are grad students -there to be abused. There is zero career growth. Everyone gets the same performance review and (lack of) pay raise.

I worked in industry for twenty years before spending 14 years working for UC Berkeley. There is no
    accountable management here. My advice is to bring in real, trained managers (like they produce in their MBA programs) and get rid of the clowns with Phd's that may be experts in the area of their thesis, but have not hard or soft management skills. (If you don't know what hard and soft management skill are, ask someone with an MBA). The UC is a ripping off the tax payers.

University of California Berkeley Photos

Worked for University of California Berkeley? Contribute to the Community!