University of California Berkeley

Updated February 28, 2015
3.9

University of California Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas B. Dirks
Nicholas B. Dirks

Pros
  • The benefits are outstanding, and having work-life balance is actually possible (in 25 reviews)

• Flexible hours, I can basically try to work on the job at whenever a I want (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • the pay is low but it is made up by tuition remission (in 21 reviews)

• budget cuts make very basic needs (eg office supplies, custodial services) go unmet (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Crazy Place

I worked at University of California Berkeley

Pros

No one else could do make anything so I got to do anything I dreamed up. Very fun.

Cons

Too many chiefs. I was the lone Indian for nine of them. crazy town.

Get the incentives right. Everyone wants to be a manager because of money, respect and who knows. But it's no way to run a business.

Project Crew Lead Maintenance....Aka...garbage hauler + furniture mover....a joke.

Former Employee - Project Crew Building Maintenance in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Project Crew Building Maintenance in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great health care benefits. Retirement system is fair.

Cons

Project Crew maintenance technician in the RSSP dept. (Residential & Student Housing....Technicians were over worked. Position advertised as a lead maintenance tech, but jobs consisted of doing all the dirty work, that other trades did not want to do. Load dump trucks and do trash runs, empty out furniture to hundreds of student dorms, so carpet companies can re-carpet.
    Exposure to bed bugs, heavy (un-realistic lifting and unloading heavy items)
    Managers that absolutely had no consideration for your well being, because UC Berkeley is self insured when it comes to workmanship compensation.
    Almost every trades person goes out on workmanship comp. at some point or another.
    No growth opportunities.
    You will be charged $$ for parking your car.
    Stupid managers, that are disconnected with their staff.
    Old timers that give new employees a hard time, while they goof off...

You are beyond help., consider yourselves lucky that taxpayers, and tuition paying families are not aware of all the crap you guys get away with.

Resident Assistant (RA)

I worked at University of California Berkeley part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Free room and board
    -Depending on your supervisor and staff team, the position could be slightly enjoyable
    -Impacting 1st year students

Cons

-RA's work over the stipulated "19 hours/week," and management refuse to address this
    -No compensation besides free room and board, i.e. no stipend
    -Constant overhead from management
    -Power play from management team where RAs have little to no say about the position
    -Mandatory fall training that requires all hall staff members to return to campus 3 weeks before school begins. Management refuse to approve exemption even for students who are taking classes or have other commitments. Returning staff are required to go through the SAME training despite having done it the previous year.
    -Horrible employee retention.

Please listen to your student hall staff. They're student first, not workers. We're the pillars for our community, yet you ignore our feedback. Having spoken to dozens of current and past hall staff, everyone shares the negative sentiment for the department. Despite all this, you fail to address our feedback and concerns.

Most dysfunctional place I have ever worked.

Former Employee - Graduate Student in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Graduate Student in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice weather and the food and local produce are very good.

Cons

I was working for a senior professor famous for marine biomechanics who was very abusive. I would describe more but I fear retribution from her, in the form of derogatory comments given in secret to block me from any further work in biomechanics research (which is a small community in which she has tremendous influence).

Academia is not a corporation. People matter, and senior people like professors can make or ruin the careers of many promising students, including those from underrepresented minorities.

Dismal treatment of staff, no upward growth, low pay

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Obviously having a State job allows one to have great benefits.

Cons

The supervisors/leadership is below standards. People in power positions do not heed the concerns of their staff. Many are underqualified to even be in a position of power. When you complain about management you are often subject to retaliation and ridicule.

Get new management. Train your supervisors to deal with interpersonal relationships within your units. Train your supervisors to also hold staff meetings which are a good time for employees to voice their concerns.

Reiterate the importance of treating fellow coworkers with civility regardless of what gender, sexual orientation, race etc.

Shared Services MESS

Current Employee - Research Administrator in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Research Administrator in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great research is completed here. Great vacation & sick package. You can gain a lot of experience working a job with many hats.

Cons

Staff are underappreciated, low paying university, most staff know more than supervisors, everything is politics, low pay, and rude supervisors full of drama. Work has become even more demanding, short staff, room for growth is not as easy as it used to be.

Shared Services is a downfall. Everytime outside consultants who do not work in the day to day university life always make process harder especially if they do not understand federal and auditing policies. No one is happy.

Hostile work environment

Former Employee - Coordinator in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Students are passionate. Academic environment and student culture are intellectually engaging. Some staff are passionate and fantastic. Good transit benefits.

Cons

Pay that is not competitive with the rest of the Bay Area. Long hours without appreciation of work nor of the desire to have a life outside of work. Inflexibility in working hours. Students who can make or break your career based upon whether they like you. Directive department heads who are unwilling to hear feedback. No tuition benefits. Claim to be innovative, but as a staff member you see that nearly everything is antiquated and people don't want to change from "it's always been done that way."

GSI

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

all the students love you

Cons

low pay. high workload. use graduate student as salve

the school should really get some funding sources

Cal is a better place to be as a student, disappointing as a full-time employee

I worked at University of California Berkeley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Being around students in a learning environment can be exciting if you ever get the time to interact with them.

Cons

Staff people are thought of last. Faculty is treated best, then students. Some faculty won't even return emails and phone calls from staff. There is virtually no diversity in mid and senior leadership. This is the first place I became familiar with the term the "walking retired." People pretend that it is a meritocracy, but it's not. Strong performers don't get adequately compensated and those that don't work very hard I saw get the same annual performance increases as those who worked hard, just because they'd been there a long time. My manager wanted me to fudge records that correctly showed I worked well over 40 hours most weeks because she thought it made her look bad as mange(?!)

In a state as diverse as California, one would think that it would be impossible, for example, for MBA Career Management to be staffed with only heterosexual Caucasians and Chinese Americans.

beautiful mission, awful place

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

students are wonderful; diverse and motivated. the mission of the school, and the entire UC system, is beautiful. on a catastrophic course now.

Cons

colleagues are corrupt, mediocre, and a poor representation of what the academy has to offer.

resign and put some fair-minded and ethical people in place.

University of California Berkeley Photos