University of California Berkeley Reviews

796 reviews filtered by
4.0
University of California Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas B. Dirks
Nicholas B. Dirks

Pros
  • The benefits are outstanding, and having work-life balance is actually possible (in 25 reviews)

• Flexible hours, I can basically try to work on the job at whenever a I want (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • the pay is low but it is made up by tuition remission (in 21 reviews)

• budget cuts make very basic needs (eg office supplies, custodial services) go unmet (in 23 reviews)

1. Comfortable working environment

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley

Pros

Generally good working environment.
    In most cases you can choose what you are interested in to work on.

Cons

Taking classes and doing research at the same time can be stressful.

2. An Undergraduate's Dream

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley

Pros

Good pay, better connections and lots of opportunity

Cons

Not very easy to increase pay

Job duties should continue to be made clear.

3. Senior Financial Analyst

I have been working at University of California Berkeley full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Challenging work, excellent benefits (gym, pension, etc), worklife balance

Cons

Continuing challenge to fund operation with decreasing State support

5. Good experience overall

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley

Pros

The resources at Cal are amazing! The people are smart, and most people are supportive of you development.

Cons

There is a bit of an "Ivory tower" feeling to Cal. If you are not in the in crowd, it can be lonely. Open-mindedness is surprisingly low for what I expected from Berkeley. The pay is low.

True knowledge comes from being open to new ideas and learning from people who are different from us.

6. cal

I have been working at University of California Berkeley part-time (less than a year)

Pros

great views of bay area
    top science
    good people

Cons

budget problems
    dysfunctional
    unrealistic expectations
    old IT infrastructure

down select and set realistic priorities

7. Great Place for Education!

Former Contractor - Teaching Assistant in Berkeley, CA
    Former Contractor - Teaching Assistant in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

It's a great environment to work in, especially while you are studying for a higher degree. I worked there the summer after graduation. I liked the pace of the job and the people I worked with. Being a professor, or teacher's aid, you get access to free resources like MS Office, Adobe Master Suite, etc.

Cons

None. Unless you aren't pursuing a background in education and not looking to become a professor.

None. Keep up the good work! Go Bears!

8. Great people, horrible organization

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant III in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant III in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This campus is so big and segmented that you're likely to have a very different experience depending on what department you're in. My direct coworkers have generally been fantastic, though, and the workplace is generally casual with an "everybody pitch in" attitude. Lots of holidays and fairly good time off policies. If you're good at what you do, there are also ample opportunities to move up - some of the COO-level people in the administrative units started out at the Admin Assistant level.

Cons

Staff is constantly overworked, it's almost impossible to get rid of inefficient or incompetent people who pass their probationary periods which sometimes makes it look like you're fully staffed when in fact it's just the rest of you pulling for one. Constant budget cuts ALWAYS impact staff members and administrative departments first. Because it's a public university, you won't be paid market rate. Attempts to improve workflow processes tend to get lost in bureaucracy.

There's still a "consensus" culture to UC, which is one of those things that sounds nice in theory but in practice means that any attempt at change will be met with open, obvious opposition. And often, if one person opposes, the entire attempt fails. There's a lot of inefficiency, but the structure and culture here very much entrenches that at the expense of the competent few, who receive mounting pressure and workload to make up the difference.

Abandon the consensus model and empower your service organizations (HR, IT, etc.) to give bad news to clients when necessary. Apply efficiency standards equally within units. Make sure people are heard - your best workers are consistently burning out and leaving. Treat employee suggestions seriously and make a good-faith effort to implement them.

9. LEAD Center Review

I worked at University of California Berkeley

Pros

The work was easy. I had a lot of fun. Everyone is nice. The Weather is really nice and there's a great work-life balance

Cons

It is often time really busy and you have to deal with students that can be very difficult to help or work with. Other than that, no complaints.

No advice! Everything you do is great. There's nothing huge that I would change or worry about.

10. limited growth

I worked at University of California Berkeley

Pros

easy going staff and smart ppl

Cons

low budget and red tape

11. Worked over 10 years. Love the environment and people I work with. Get to work with young and brilliant students.

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Berkeley, CA

Pros

Vision, dental, health, and legal benefits. National and administrative holidays.

Cons

Hard to move up in upper or senior level positions. Compensation is lower compared with the rest of the bay area. Overworked, underpaid.

Offer incentives for departments to promote worthy employees from within. Knowledgeable staff leave the university for better paid jobs.

University of California Berkeley Photos