University of California Berkeley

www.berkeley.edu
Employer Engaged

The best place for a postdoc

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher - Chemistry in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher - Chemistry in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work environment is great. Berkeley is the best place on earth to live in. The level of science in which you are amerced is one of the highest in the world. The combination of a thriving research environment with an okay salary for a cost of living plus life in the bay area makes it the best place for a postdoc. The work frame is very flexible.

Cons

Simply no cons!!! Everything depends on your PI, for good and for bad. This is the way for every postdoc, not just specific to Berkeley. No real summer. The salary could be better (as usual). The rent is too high too. Every postdoc comes the an end and you need to leave.

Keep it as it is.

Very student-friendly work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley

Pros

Great opportunity for students looking for part-time work on campus. Supervisors were kind, consistent and approachable. Day/evening shifts are flexible and structured around student-workers' class schedules. ETS also hosts end-of-semester networking parties that introduce student workers to opportunities in its other departments. It was definitely a rewarding and non-stressful "first job" experience.

Cons

Nature of position requires long treks around the hilly campus with a bulky equipment pack. This can get a bit tiring and tedious, but it's still fun & doable if you know what to expect.

N/A

Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist

I have been working at University of California Berkeley

Pros

Good work-life balance, work with nice/smart people, and working on campus if fun!

Cons

Hard to move up or get raises, bureaucracy, tough to park/commute to.

Invest more in the people who have been committed for several years rather than hiring outside.

A great place to do research and learn, but typical public university bureaucracy

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in UC Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in UC Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Top quality colleagues and facilities; respectful and knowledgeable department leaders; great benefits.

Cons

UCB suffers from the typical large public university bureaucracy. If you have a work-related issue that requires going outside of your department, it can be quite an ordeal. Also funding is contingent on the UC Board of Regents, which can be stressful and is out of anyone's power.

Substantial hands-on research experience with excellent faculty and facilities in applied physics.

Current Intern - Research Assistant in UC Berkeley, CA
    Current Intern - Research Assistant in UC Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Principal investigator was extremely knowledgeable, willing to personally assist researchers
    Excellent facilities
    Relatively flexible hours
    Located near a variety of great dining, shopping etc.

Cons

As expected for an undergraduate research assistant, my work here was unpaid
    Unwieldy bureaucracy - it took quite a long time to get necessary credentials, safety clearance etc.

Try to streamline the process for visitors and students in acquiring CalNet IDs and safety clearances. There were a couple of weeks out a three month internship where I was unable to start on meaningful work.

Solid and stable job opportunities

Current Employee - Assistant Director in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in Berkeley, CA

Pros

You get to work in your home department and basically know everyone in that community. Good health benefits and occasional staff perks (free tickets to football games, for example).

Cons

Many staffers move laterally, so there is not too much room for upward growth since staff generally get tenured into their positions until retirement.

Encourage staff professional development and networking

Great working environment

I have been working at University of California Berkeley

Pros

- Positive and energetic people!
    - They practice the science of happiness / positive psychology
    - Small, informal, friendly workplace
    - Very hardworking and diligent people

Cons

- Work space is small though
    - Small organization
    - Not much career advancement

Super Flexible with Hours

I worked at University of California Berkeley

Pros

Really great training system with wrap up reports and transition meetings. Meet lots of great fun student leaders also looking to make a difference or realize their passions.

Cons

Advisor may be hard to reach since they are often so busy.

Part-Time Student Worker

Current Employee - Student Library Assistant
    Current Employee - Student Library Assistant

I have been working at University of California Berkeley part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Student workers are offered very flexible schedules with pay that is above minimum wage. There are a variety of work study positions available ranging from lab assistant to more clerical work. Library work is very common.

Cons

A large number of available jobs are designated for work study students only who are usually financial aid recipients. Some students without financial aid (out of state, international, etc.) may find it difficult to qualify for a position.

N/A

Student Assistant

Former Employee - Student Assistant
    Former Employee - Student Assistant

I worked at University of California Berkeley part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I spent two years working as a work-study Student Assistant at UC Berkeley. The work environment was incredible-- I was always treated as part of the department, and much like a full staff member. Everyone was positive, intelligent, and hard-working. Many of the women in my department acted as mentors to me. The schedule was flexible, and my boss was understanding of time off for finals or last-minute papers.

Cons

Some of the student positions here are very limited in scope. They can be a great starting place or a way to earn money, but there isn't much room for promotion or added responsibility. Talk to your department about room for long-term growth before starting, if you're serious about wanting to work for a year or more.

I was thrilled by my position as a student assistant, but I would really like to see more opportunities for long-term growth. I would have loved to stay with my department for more than a couple of years, but didn't want to remain an administrative assistant for the full period of time. I'd love to see more emphasis on letting students take on additional responsibilities over time.

University of California Berkeley Photos