University of California

Updated July 5, 2014
3.7

University of California President Janet Napolitano
Janet Napolitano

Pros
  • amazing location, friendly staff, diverse opportunities, good benefits (in 6 reviews)

• Opportunity to work with many smart people and to make a difference in California; great benefits including a pension (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, relative to market levels (in 4 reviews)

• Parking sucks and it costs an arm and a leg and despite increasing student fees there always seems to be budget cuts around every corner (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Career Counselor Intern

Former Employee - Career Counselor in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Career Counselor in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-great environment
    -your opinion matters
    -staff development
    -motivated students
    -great leadership

Cons

-location is slightly off campus

Don't be a student employee (or RA).

Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work-study. Free room and board. Learning to cope with terrible situations daily.

Cons

Overworked, underpaid. As an RA for Berkeley (and a CS student) I have had minimal time to work on side projects. There is no pay, and I don't have time on top of this to get another job for expendable income. When the RAs tried to protest against management their response was to threaten to fire all of us. They treat the RAs as easily replaceable. It's not a good environment.

Busy

Former Employee - UGSI in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - UGSI in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Enlightening place to study for undergrad. I was a UGSI and it was an interesting experience.

Cons

Tuition is rising. UGSIs do not get salaries but you get units (not as great..).

Lots of bureaucracy which doesn't make it easy to deal with regarding administrative issues.

An engaging and fast-paced environment.

Current Employee - Student Affairs Coordinator in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Student Affairs Coordinator in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cal offers departments with great team dynamics and brilliant students all situated on a beautiful campus. The health benefits are amazing.

Cons

Cal has an antiquated hiring system and primarily promotes from within. There's so much bureaucracy and paperwork that completing certain tasks can be challenging. Employees would benefit from periodic training to leverage their skills.

Great working environment - very collaborative. Everyday is a challenge, and the work is very dynamic.

Current Employee - Doctoral Graduate Student Researcher in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Doctoral Graduate Student Researcher in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very collaborative and dynamic working environment.

Cons

There should be more opportunity to take courses outside the department.

Career employee sees waste at UC Berkeley

Current Employee - Administrator in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Administrator in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible work hours, opportunities to take classes

Cons

Morale at UC Berkeley is low, and I've seen a lot of unethical behavior over the years. Staff are promoted out of their competence level and "work the system" and sometimes break blatant rules and play favorites. Misconduct goes on and rarely results in someone being fired. Operation Excellent is a good idea, but the great amounts of money being spent to ultimately save money result in "going around the rules." I see it on a daily basis in procurement, hiring, and augmenting senior managers' pockets. I used to be very proud to work at UC Berkeley, but no longer, and would not recommend it to others just starting out.

Insist on ethics training and don't have a double standard for managers. Lower level staff have a hard time making a living, while I've seen 25-30-40 percent raises THIS YEAR ALONE and during hiring freezes for invalid reasons. Questioning managers can result in poor feedback and retaliation.

The land that IT forgot

Current Employee - Helpdesk in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Helpdesk in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Stability. Decent pay. Prestigious. Room to grow.

Cons

This is a state organization, and the employees often act like it. At best, they are underqualified, which is made possible due to the lack of competition in that enterprise. At worst, they are toxic and deeply dissatisfied with their jobs/selves.

The IT department head (recently recruited) is a rock star. And many of the new techs this person hired in order to implement changes, are, too, awesome. But there is a broad swath of mid-level technicians who support this fine institution, who act like state employees.

Internship at University of California Press

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The press is fantastic, with interesting publications and a history of publishing important titles. I gained a lot of experience and I benefited from seeing how the field of publishing works.

Cons

At the time, they were struggling to transition through a layoff period. They continued to let laid off people work for over 2 months and this cause the workplace to become tense.

Know how your staff is managing their time.

Us vs. Them

Current Employee - Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California

Pros

Friendly, helpful coworkers, noncompetitive. Nice physical environment, or at least access to nice landscape nearby. Easy access to on-campus entertainment.

Cons

Extremely low pay at all but the senior administrator levels, where salary and perks are obscenely high. Senior people and tenured faculty are supported at all costs, promoting an us-them mentality among employees.

You need to radically re-engineer the leadership's relationship and approach to employees, who make the university run and who have the power to make students and faculty happy or unhappy.

riding on its reputation as an institution but not living up to its hype

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California

Pros

It's a shame glassdoor is in beta - I wrote a long review that seems to have been lost after I was prompted to Register to be able to post it. This review will be much shorter. The health benefits at UC are, I'm told, pretty good compared to comparable institutions. Pension benefits seem OK,. You have assess to a lot of interesting events by your proximity to campus, though you may not have energy to attend after work.

Cons

There are very extensive employee protections and positive career development programs on paper, but it's rare in my experience for Berkeley to actually adhere to them when there is a issue or you think you're ready to be promoted to the next step. The culture generally discourages speaking out when you see things going wrong, even if its high level execs behaving unethically and abusing their position. Financial abuses seem rife. I've worked here at a variety of positions for 20 years and see some truly egregious wastes of taxpayer money. Some I've reported, some I was prevented from doing o, and never have I felt like the reports changed much on either the bog or little picture. Working here, in general, you'll be asked to give a lot and compensated very little, in either money or other acknowledgements.

There are many here who do have PhDs and other high level degrees, but have little training in their actual job duties. A Nobel laureate is not necessarily a good manager, and to have people in supervisory positions without training (and often they think because they have a degree in their field means they need no further training), undermines the effectiveness of the unit and costs the univ more money than recruiting someone who knows the work 360 degrees.

University of California Photos

Elena Zhukova
View of the Office of the President of the University of California headquarter office located in Oakland, CA (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.235)

+ Add Photo