University of California

University of California Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

University of California President Janet Napolitano

Janet Napolitano

Pros
  • amazing location, friendly staff, diverse opportunities, good benefits(in 6 reviews)

• Opportunity to work with many smart people and to make a difference in California; great benefits including a pension(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Parking sucks and it costs an arm and a leg and despite increasing student fees there always seems to be budget cuts around every corner(in 3 reviews)

• Low pay, relative to market levels(in 3 reviews)

Dynamic environment

ProsBenefits, work schedule, location, and co-workers (both within own unit and across the University) made it a good place to work

ConsFiscal erosion due to shortfall of state funding

Excellent university, but value is decreasing.

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Santa Cruz, CA

ProsI had excellent opportunities as a research assistant. The facilities were reasonable and the faculty did their jobs. Beautiful campus. I was very pleased with family student housing for my wife and I.

ConsTuitions continues to increase sharply without providing any additional value. There are some resource constraints and TAs / faculty don't have enough time for individualized attention of undergrads due to large class sizes.

Advice to Senior ManagementReevaluate policies on executive compensation. I don't believe the current compensation is well-earned.

Experience in managing operational budgets against actuals for a Division.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsService years, systems, organization financial goal, opportunites

ConsChange of funding sources, fear of lay-offs, not as stable as it used to me

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience at the university of California was amazing.

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

Prossurrounded by the most intelligent group of individuals who are involved in public education in the world

Consa large population leads to less individual attention

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what you are doing

ADMIN. ASSISTANT

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsGreat working environment, fast paced, and very professional.
    Nurturing environment to learn the workload and pace.
    Very organized and meticulous in the detail required in the work expected.

ConsSome time there is a level of miscommunication, that leads to less efficiency.

Advice to Senior ManagementEfficiency rating, having a system of anonymous performance evaluation and management of all employees as well as feedback on each other.

Great opportunity, enjoyed working on the project!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere were people from various states that came in to work. I was able to make a lot of connections and meet new people

ConsThere were no downsides, I enjoyed working in the city

very advance technologies minded

Project Engineering (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Prosgood retirement for time and service

ConsCalifornia is broke and no hope in the future

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to employee idea for future planning

Career employee sees waste at UC Berkeley

Administrator (Current Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsGreat benefits, flexible work hours, opportunities to take classes

ConsMorale at UC Berkeley is low, and I've seen a lot of unethical behavior over the years. Staff are promoted out of their competence level and "work the system" and sometimes break blatant rules and play favorites. Misconduct goes on and rarely results in someone being fired. Operation Excellent is a good idea, but the great amounts of money being spent to ultimately save money result in "going around the rules." I see it on a daily basis in procurement, hiring, and augmenting senior managers' pockets. I used to be very proud to work at UC Berkeley, but no longer, and would not recommend it to others just starting out.

Advice to Senior ManagementInsist on ethics training and don't have a double standard for managers. Lower level staff have a hard time making a living, while I've seen 25-30-40 percent raises THIS YEAR ALONE and during hiring freezes for invalid reasons. Questioning managers can result in poor feedback and retaliation.

The land that IT forgot

Helpdesk (Current Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsStability. Decent pay. Prestigious. Room to grow.

ConsThis is a state organization, and the employees often act like it. At best, they are underqualified, which is made possible due to the lack of competition in that enterprise. At worst, they are toxic and deeply dissatisfied with their jobs/selves.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe IT department head (recently recruited) is a rock star. And many of the new techs this person hired in order to implement changes, are, too, awesome. But there is a broad swath of mid-level technicians who support this fine institution, who act like state employees.

UCSD Great Place To Work

Computer Support Specialist (Former Employee) La Jolla, CA

ProsSalary may be a dash lower than working for the private sector but the perks of being in an academic environment, the fellow colleagues you meet and the benefits are great. There is always some type of event going on in this one big community. Food is always around!

ConsProcesses can move slow sometimes. Kind of like working for a government job at times.

Worked for University of California? Contribute to the Community!