University of California

Reset
3.8
University of California President Janet Napolitano
Janet Napolitano

Pros
  • amazing location, friendly staff, diverse opportunities, good benefits (in 6 reviews)

• Opportunity to work with many smart people and to make a difference in California; great benefits including a pension (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, relative to market levels (in 4 reviews)

• Parking sucks and it costs an arm and a leg and despite increasing student fees there always seems to be budget cuts around every corner (in 3 reviews)

1. A lot of variance in position

Current Employee - Junior Specialist II in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Junior Specialist II in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at University of California

Pros

This quite a diverse title used in the university and can include many different areas of specialized research depending on which lab and department you work in. However, the salary ranges are set by the university and have predictable wage increases. Great benefits and retirement (more about that in the cons)

Cons

I'm not sure if this a con, but it is a salary position which means you may work long hours without any overtime pay, but for the most part things even out in the end. If you are in it for the long hall then the retirement plan is good, but if you are younger or planning on working only temporarily the retirement commitment is HUGE and MANDATORY. After taxes and and retirement and everything is taken out I only receive 2/3 of my gross income.

2. Graduate student instructor in Humanities

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great institution, great reputation. Wonderful faculty, staff and graduate student community. Actually offers decent health and other benefits for even part time instructors and research assistants.

Cons

Salary as GSI alone will not cover cost of living in the Bay Area. Many of us had other jobs on the side, as research assistants or off campus.

Advice to Management

Provide higher salaries or offer more subsidized graduate student housing. Many graduate students drop out of programs or take too long to get through program because we have to teach too many semesters or work off campus because of cost of living in the Bay Area. Rebalancing executive compensation to raise lower grade level pay bands would make a big difference to staff morale.

3. GSA

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Riverside, CA

Pros

Cons

OK compensation. Nice job , flexible, nice environment, Worked for 3 years for reaserch and developemnt and job is challenging and nice.

5. Good experience

I worked at University of California

Pros

Great environment, good coworkers, good benefits.

Cons

No cons for my position

Advice to Management

Keep it up

6. UCI

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer/Scientist in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer/Scientist in Irvine, CA

I worked at University of California full-time

Pros

Top tire Research University Nice place

Cons

Its Academia, stupid: good life and a much better total compensation than one would expect based direct pay

7. Great place to work

I have been working at University of California

Pros

Great place to work if you like to work in academia. Good benefits. Good people.

Cons

Pay is not as good as you would get if you worked in an equivalent job for the biotech industry.

Advice to Management

Management has been excellent, although this largely depends on what branch you work with.

8. there are pros & cons

I have been working at University of California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of time off, though at higher levels it's hard to take advantage of it. The campus mostly closes down for Winter curtailment around the Christmas holidays. Very supportive of family leave, when necessary.

Cons

Very bureaucratic, poor infrastructure makes it difficult to get work done. Faculty have way too much power.

9. Great resource for a community in need, awful bureaucracy

Current Employee - Community Education Specialist
    Current Employee - Community Education Specialist

I have been working at University of California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Helping people in need of nutrition education, working with great families, schools, and agencies. Schedule is very flexible. Benefits are ok.

Cons

Stretched too thin, no room to grow, zero chance to be promoted, pay is AWFUL, USDA not caring for the Program Reps/Community Education Specialists, money goes to unnecessary "things" instead of the employees. Change is always going to happen, but USDA/UC Davis puts out too many changes at once that our partners (families, schools, etc) get confused about our program and they leave or don't want to do the work anymore. We are a nutrition education program yet many of our representation do not "play the part" of looking like we follow our own nutrition advice. No UNION for PRs/CES

Advice to Management

Pay your people accordingly by location and cost of living and then the turnover rate wouldn't be so high. Every year, there is more work to do and you have no problem giving that load to the Program Reps/Community Education Specialists, but have a huge problem on compensating for that work. There is no reason why most of us need to have 2-3 part time jobs to maintain a basic life.

10. Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Food Server in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Food Server in La Jolla, CA

I worked at University of California

Pros

Great management! Certainly teaches you how to efficiently handle multitasking as well as teaches great customer service

Cons

gets busy at times but it's manageable

11. Great for Students

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at University of California part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Worked around student's class schedule -Opportunity to win Student Scholarship and earn money towards your ACCESS card -Able to meet and work with other students -Location is convenient to work between classes

Cons

-Managers often opposed each other -Could only get work about 10 hours per week

RSS Feed </> Embed