University of California

University of California Reviews

Updated Jun 19, 2014

University of California President Janet Napolitano

Janet Napolitano

Pros:
  • "amazing location, friendly staff, diverse opportunities, good benefits"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Opportunity to work with many smart people and to make a difference in California; great benefits including a pension"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Parking sucks and it costs an arm and a leg and despite increasing student fees there always seems to be budget cuts around every corner"
    in 3 reviews
  • "We are subject to salary reductions through furlough this year because of the state budget crisis"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very Poor Leadership, Non-Progressive & Seriously Technologically Challenged

ProsThe general location, Santa Barbara/Goleta, is a nice place to live.

ConsThere is a general lack of accountability for being productive or contributing. The talented are driven away, but the incompetent remain. There is an astounding lack of leadership which perpetuates a very dysfunctional organization. The organization is lacking in general technological competency, and is far behind the rest of the UC system in implementing solutions to common technological issues. Politics and distrust run rampant.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe organization should be managed by UCSB in all aspects and not run as a separate rogue entity with little to no oversight or accountability for results.

Not good

ProsUniversity of California has good scientific talents that allows for broad collaborative studies.

ConsPoor salary structure. Less opportunity for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementMust encourage young scientists

A once good place to work that has been overtaken by overpaid, terrible executive and senior management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Oakland, CA

ProsSome people on the frontline doing actual work. Less and less of these numbers as new hires are pretty disappointing more often than not.

ConsTerrible communication in that misleading (at the minimum and outright lies in some cases) communication is constantly spewed. Way too top heavy. While underlings are told to make due with less, top management is over-compensated with the famliiar refrain that we need to pay more to get and retain the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing really because nothing will change unless a President is hired that is truly commited to higher education, rather than personal compensation. Look no further than that while student tuition has doubled in the tenure of the current administration, the President makes far more in total compensation than any previous leader.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't work here!

Secretary (Former Employee)
    Oakland, CA

ProsDecent pay and good benefits.

ConsIt used to be a nice place to work years ago but I'm afraid that's changed and it's now become a political cesspool. There are managers to manage the managers and assistants to assist the assistants. It's just ridiculous. No promotions. No raises in pay. Snobby people to work with. Just go look for a job elsewhere and don't watse your time. Administration is incompetent and wasteful. Staff is not treated well. Layoffs abound.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead your own mission statement and try to remember what your organization is supposed to stand for.

Don't be a student employee (or RA).

Resident Assistant (Current Employee)
    Berkeley, CA

ProsWork-study. Free room and board. Learning to cope with terrible situations daily.

ConsOverworked, underpaid. As an RA for Berkeley (and a CS student) I have had minimal time to work on side projects. There is no pay, and I don't have time on top of this to get another job for expendable income. When the RAs tried to protest against management their response was to threaten to fire all of us. They treat the RAs as easily replaceable. It's not a good environment.

University of California, Education Abroad Program - not worth it

Employee (Current Employee)
    Santa Barbara, CA

Pros"UCEAP" provides you with good health benefits and free dental. The jobs themselves are stable - it's a very lengthy process to let someone go, because this is a state-run organization.

ConsThe vision benefits are terrible. The organization is wildly mismanaged. Leadership is "strong" in that directives are sent down without proper analysis and expected to be implemented. HR is useless and personnel problems run rampant.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeak to the employees - and not the ones sitting in closed offices. Talk to the people actually working with students. Let go of the idea of this strict hierarchy. Impose consequences for managers and supervisors who are constantly being reported to HR, rather than just ignoring the problem(s).

Career employee sees waste at UC Berkeley

Administrator (Current Employee)
    Berkeley, CA

ProsGreat benefits, flexible work hours, opportunities to take classes

ConsMorale at UC Berkeley is low, and I've seen a lot of unethical behavior over the years. Staff are promoted out of their competence level and "work the system" and sometimes break blatant rules and play favorites. Misconduct goes on and rarely results in someone being fired. Operation Excellent is a good idea, but the great amounts of money being spent to ultimately save money result in "going around the rules." I see it on a daily basis in procurement, hiring, and augmenting senior managers' pockets. I used to be very proud to work at UC Berkeley, but no longer, and would not recommend it to others just starting out.

Advice to Senior ManagementInsist on ethics training and don't have a double standard for managers. Lower level staff have a hard time making a living, while I've seen 25-30-40 percent raises THIS YEAR ALONE and during hiring freezes for invalid reasons. Questioning managers can result in poor feedback and retaliation.

senior management incompetent

Prosgreat benefits: medical, dental, vision, legal, ADD, life insurance.

ConsPositions are siloed to the point that many jobs do little of no actual work. State institution subject to pay cuts and furloughs.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some empathy. Think outside of your academic box. Do not discount work experience outside of academia.

Us vs. Them

Employee (Current Employee)
    Berkeley, CA

ProsFriendly, helpful coworkers, noncompetitive. Nice physical environment, or at least access to nice landscape nearby. Easy access to on-campus entertainment.

ConsExtremely low pay at all but the senior administrator levels, where salary and perks are obscenely high. Senior people and tenured faculty are supported at all costs, promoting an us-them mentality among employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to radically re-engineer the leadership's relationship and approach to employees, who make the university run and who have the power to make students and faculty happy or unhappy.

Proud to work at UCSF. Ashamed to work for the University of CA.

San Francisco, CA

ProsBenefits have been good, but they're being chipped away. Free presentations by notable speakers and live music performances are a nice perk.

ConsIf you're a doctor you can get away with atrocious behavior.
    Staff members are being furloughed because UC mgmt gave themselves sweet raises and bonuses instead of tightening their own belts.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour staff members SUPPORT the docs, the ones who bring in the money. Time for management to support the staff for what they do (and not just with lame 'let them eat cake' staff appreciation parties).

Mgmt needs to be held accountable for staff development and staff turnover; if it wasn't so humiliating to work here, you wouldn't lose so many employees in the first two years. We need better pay and more respect.

Work with the unions instead of dragging out contract negotiations for 1.5-2 years every time. We shouldn't have to be negotiating for bathroom breaks in the 21st century.

Worked for University of California? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of California reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of California CEO Janet Napolitano. All 107 reviews posted anonymously by University of California employees.