University of Cambridge Reviews

Reset
4.2
University of Cambridge Vice Chancellor Sir Leszek Borysiewicz
Sir Leszek Borysiewicz

Pros
  • The work life balance is overall good (in 7 reviews)

• Very nice academia environment and full of smart people (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The city is a terminal city, people come and go - plus it has small town syndrome (in 4 reviews)

• very competitive environment at work, very high competition to obtain funding, only three up to four years to complete the degree (in 2 reviews)

1. PhD Student at Cambridge

I worked at University of Cambridge full-time

Pros

Tremendous learning opportunities, highly recommended. College system within the university conducive to meeting people from across disciplines. International community is large and enriching.

Cons

Cambridge has a fantastic international reputation, but mapping experience on the US career ladder after degree may differ depending on your field of expertise.

2. I am not there yet.

I have been working at University of Cambridge

Pros

Amazing reputation full of great science.

Cons

Do not know yet. Salary could be better.

3. Excellent institution, unique culture

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The history and reputation of the university give it a great gravitational pull, so you will literally work and study with excellent people from around the world. It is located in a beautiful town, near to London, with a high quality of life.

Cons

The history and culture is have a lot of inertia, and most administrative decisions are made based on precedent. The complex interactions between colleges and departments, and the lack of a clear central authority, make for a diverse range of climates. None of these are "cons," per se, but they are important characteristic of the culture.

Student at the University of Cambridge

I have been working at University of Cambridge

Pros

Great environment, surrounded by fantastic people.

Cons

Cambridge, as a city, is too small, which limits leisure activities.

6. phd student . .

Current Employee - PhD in Cambridge, MD
    Current Employee - PhD in Cambridge, MD

I have been working at University of Cambridge part-time

Pros

one of best place to study

Cons

one of best place in the world

Advice to Management

good place

7. Cambridge University, Teaching Associate

I worked at University of Cambridge (More than a year)

Pros

The students, the lecturing, the tutorial, the relative freedom to outline the contents of my own lectures.

Cons

I was quite inexperienced when I was hired. I met with poor guidance, poor supervision, poor administrative structure, poor organization. Lack of solidarity between colleagues. A huge responsibility job, to be carried out with maximum precarity.

8. pleasant place to grow

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at University of Cambridge

Pros

Supportive working environment, good work-life balance, outside of work opportunities, interaction with colleges optional. It is probably a more traditional place to work, so you need to be proactive to look for opportunities that certainly exist.

Cons

Salary OK for Cambridge for singles or couples. It becomes difficult to rent a bigger house for family in Cambridge. Easy commute from all around the city. Many departments are in the heart of the city centre.

9. post-doc review

Current Employee - Research Fellow in Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Cambridge (Less than a year)

Pros

Great brand name good researchers and colleagues good work culture networking opportunities Good training opportunities

Cons

Bad sports facilities for such a big university

10. A world-leading university environment

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Cambridge (Less than a year)

Pros

Cambridge provides a world-leading research environment for the most driven and successful academic scientists

Cons

It has very de-centralised managerial structure, so you are responsible for your own career growth and success

11. Great place to work and learn

Current Employee - Event Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Event Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to participate in training Very nice colleagues comprehensive management

Cons

The University of Cambridge is HUGE..so your experience will depend on which department you are in...I loved my experience and my department

RSS Feed </> Embed