University of Central Arkansas Reviews

4.0
Tom Courtway

1. Excellent atmosphere

I have been working at University of Central Arkansas full-time

Pros

UCA is a wonderful university in a small quiet town just a half hour from little rock. People are super friendly and the weather is pretty nice.

Cons

It is far from major cities like Dallas but is perfect for those who want to get away from the hustle and bustle while still getting to work for a top notch university.

Advice to Management

Concerns need to be addressed much faster and the relationships between employees can be stronger and friendlier

2. I work in one of the best departments with great faculty and staff.

Current Employee - Administrative in Conway, AR
    Current Employee - Administrative in Conway, AR

I have been working at University of Central Arkansas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The students. And every day I learn something new.

Cons

The upper administration makes sure they give 5hemselves very healthy raises every year. Faculty make considerably less than average compared to other schools it's size. And many staff live in poverty.

Advice to Management

Don't forget the reason the university exists. It's the faculty and staff that keep the system going. It's about the students. Not the good old boy system.

3. Good people, poor support

Current Employee - Assistant Professor
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor

I have been working at University of Central Arkansas full-time

Pros

Some really great people depending on your department. Excellent benefits particularly 401k contributions. It's a pleasant atmosphere to work in.

Cons

Administration has some issues. It seems that there is still some corruption in the upper management. Staff and faculty seem to be a low priority in the view of the administration as salaries are low and raises are almost nonexistent. This would be understandable in the context of financial constrains on the school, but administration routinely give themselves large raises.

Advice to Management

It is likely a calculated risk on the administration's part to keep staff compensation down, but it will only hurt the organization in the long run.

Working as a GA at UCA

Current Employee - UCA Counseling Center in Conway, AR
    Current Employee - UCA Counseling Center in Conway, AR

I have been working at University of Central Arkansas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working as an intern at the UCA Counseling Center for the past 3 months. It's a spectacular learning environment with the most talented staff and mentors I could possibly imagine.

Cons

While this is a paid internship, it is a very LOW paying internship. Despite the wage being so low, it's still the best experience to complete my education.

6. positive experience

I have been working at University of Central Arkansas full-time

Pros

Making a difference in the quality of life for Seniors. Having the freedom to be creative in my management style, being allowed to recruit and hire my own staff.

Cons

Limited upward mobility, limited resources. Below industry - standard income. Demands of job can become 24/7, 7 days a week dealing with employee issues.

7. Great opportunities if you seek them!

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Conway, AR
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Conway, AR

I have been working at University of Central Arkansas part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful school with lots of potential, small school + small town = great work life balance. If you are looking for opportunities to teach, broaden the minds of students, or help serve students in some capacity, this is the place to be.

Cons

The only negative thing I have to say about working at UCA is the lack of communication. I hope that in the near future things get better in this arena, but the lack of communication between departments and employees can be avoided if you are proactive, if not, then it probably still won't diminish your experience too much. It's just a cultural norm to be silo'd, but if that doesn't bother you, then this school is awesome! :)

Advice to Management

Encourage communication! The students and entry level employees do not know or care who you are because you don't talk to them like you're on the same team.

8. Working at the Student Center felt like being part of a family.

Current Employee - Computer Support Specialist in Conway, AR
    Current Employee - Computer Support Specialist in Conway, AR

I have been working at University of Central Arkansas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was given the freedom to use my own ideas to solve tasks. Everyone works together to accomplish tasks. Leadership truly cares about their employees. Hours are flexible to accommodate studies.

Cons

Chic-Fil-A and Pizza Hut are downstairs (Student Center), which makes eating healthy difficult. This could also be seen as a Pro.

Advice to Management

The Student Center is doing things right. When I move on to work somewhere else, I will always remember this job fondly. Keep on this track and I feel that anyone to work here will feel the same. Thank you!

9. I have had a great experience overall with UCA.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant to Our Adv Vice President in Conway, AR
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant to Our Adv Vice President in Conway, AR

I have been working at University of Central Arkansas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Our President Tom Courtway-he has integrity to make UCA a better institution better.

Cons

Some of the downsides would be all of the media attention at times.

Advice to Management

Don't judge a book by it's cover because there is so much more inside that holds integrity, hard work and loyalty. I have the experience you are looking for according to your job description.

10. Great

Current Employee - Coordinator in Conway, AR
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Conway, AR

I have been working at University of Central Arkansas full-time

Pros

It's a state job so you get a good 401k, 8 hours of vacation and sick time per month when starting. Great environment: overall local community of Conway Arkansas is a great place to live.

Cons

Salaries tend to stay at entry level for a very long time, advancement only happens if you move from job to job by applying for new positions. It is very rare to advance in your own department without years and years of dedicated service. Faculty positions are very much the same with slow advancement in pay.

Advice to Management

Stay on top of cola raises and start doing more merit raises as well as one time bonuses.

11. Wage slavery pure and simple. They pay graduate assistants less than half the area average.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at University of Central Arkansas as a contractor

Pros

At times they hire people.

Cons

They pay next to nothing and treat employees very poorly.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees fair wages and treat them with due respect.

RSS Feed </> Embed