University of Central Arkansas Reviews

1. Graduate Assistant Position

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conway, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conway, AR

I have been working at University of Central Arkansas

Pros

Low cost of living
    Pretty Campus

Cons

Bad pay
    No health benifits
    Bad university leadership

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more

2. I work in one of the best departments with great faculty and staff.

Current Employee - Administrative in Conway, AR
    Current Employee - Administrative in Conway, AR

I have been working at University of Central Arkansas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The students. And every day I learn something new.

Cons

The upper administration makes sure they give 5hemselves very healthy raises every year. Faculty make considerably less than average compared to other schools it's size. And many staff live in poverty.

Advice to Management

Don't forget the reason the university exists. It's the faculty and staff that keep the system going. It's about the students. Not the good old boy system.

3. Good people, poor support

Current Employee - Assistant Professor
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor

I have been working at University of Central Arkansas full-time

Pros

Some really great people depending on your department. Excellent benefits particularly 401k contributions. It's a pleasant atmosphere to work in.

Cons

Administration has some issues. It seems that there is still some corruption in the upper management. Staff and faculty seem to be a low priority in the view of the administration as salaries are low and raises are almost nonexistent. This would be understandable in the context of financial constrains on the school, but administration routinely give themselves large raises.

Advice to Management

It is likely a calculated risk on the administration's part to keep staff compensation down, but it will only hurt the organization in the long run.

5. Student worker

Former Employee - Student Worker in Conway, AR

I worked at University of Central Arkansas part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-You can earn money while in school.
    -Easy tasks.

Cons

-No clear goal.
    -Not so many positions are available.

6. The University of Central Arkansas is a good place for some people to work, but not for others.

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Conway, AR
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Conway, AR

I have been working at University of Central Arkansas

Pros

UCA offers tuitiion reimbursement, so you can continue your education. They have some great Masters level and PhD level programs. The workout facility is nice and the campus is beautiful.

Cons

UCA is a challenging place for minorities. Also, you are often required to work a huge amount of overtime without being compensated.

Advice to Management

Have your management lever personnel take a management course where they are informed of the laws regarding weekly work schedules. Also, upper management needs to be trained on topics pertaining to diversity and race relations.

7. Dedicated employees. Questionable leadership.

Former Employee - Management in Conway, AR
    Former Employee - Management in Conway, AR

I worked at University of Central Arkansas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It was great to work with students and have a positive impact in their lives. The beautiful campus was well maintained and provided a lovely backdrop.

Cons

There were numerous leadership issues - still are. Silos exist everywhere. To be successful, one has to learn to work among the many closed groups.

Advice to Management

Listen to those who have dedicated their lives to the organization and balance that with bringing in those with no higher education experience at upper management levels if you want to keep a dedicated and supportive staff.

8. positive experience

I have been working at University of Central Arkansas full-time

Pros

Making a difference in the quality of life for Seniors. Having the freedom to be creative in my management style, being allowed to recruit and hire my own staff.

Cons

Limited upward mobility, limited resources. Below industry - standard income. Demands of job can become 24/7, 7 days a week dealing with employee issues.

9. Great opportunities if you seek them!

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Conway, AR
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Conway, AR

I have been working at University of Central Arkansas part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful school with lots of potential, small school + small town = great work life balance. If you are looking for opportunities to teach, broaden the minds of students, or help serve students in some capacity, this is the place to be.

Cons

The only negative thing I have to say about working at UCA is the lack of communication. I hope that in the near future things get better in this arena, but the lack of communication between departments and employees can be avoided if you are proactive, if not, then it probably still won't diminish your experience too much. It's just a cultural norm to be silo'd, but if that doesn't bother you, then this school is awesome! :)

Advice to Management

Encourage communication! The students and entry level employees do not know or care who you are because you don't talk to them like you're on the same team.

10. I have had a great experience overall with UCA.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant to Our Adv Vice President in Conway, AR
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant to Our Adv Vice President in Conway, AR

I have been working at University of Central Arkansas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Our President Tom Courtway-he has integrity to make UCA a better institution better.

Cons

Some of the downsides would be all of the media attention at times.

Advice to Management

Don't judge a book by it's cover because there is so much more inside that holds integrity, hard work and loyalty. I have the experience you are looking for according to your job description.

11. Student worker (in the office)

Former Employee - Student Worker in Conway, AR

I worked at University of Central Arkansas part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of sitting down, not very much pressure, not very much *boss/*employee interaction but a lot of *Professor/*Student.

Cons

Base pay; Not many hours; not very helpful with experience in general

RSS Feed </> Embed