University of Central Florida

John C. Hitt

124 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Faculty vs Staff

Orlando, FL

ProsStability, good benefits. Nice place to retire after working in the private sector. As with most jobs your satisfaction will depend on your current field and your immediate management. Can be a very exiting place to work especially with so many college students around you everyday. Very flexible work schedule and 11 or more paid holidays per year. Excellent health benefits.

ConsStaff pay is much lower than counterparts in the private sector. Unless you are a Faculty, executive level admin or in the IT field expect your salary to max out in the mid 40's. There is a bottleneck at the top which contributes to slow career growth which forces many employees to look outside of the University for growth opportunities. Unless you are planning to start a career as a faculty member or executive level administrator I would suggest that young professionals look for higher paying private sector opportunities early in your career and come to UCF afterwards to finish out your career and put aside money for your retirement. Beware budget cuts as you will have to quickly learn to do more with less.

Decent work experience at UCF.

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsThe management are very good people, the geographic area and the tropical weather are both very wonderful. The benefits are decent.

ConsThe salary and benefits are not that great. The university is not particularly prestigious, but that's partly because they are still very young.

I was pushed around a lot and not valued as a researcher.

Research Scientist (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsNot much really, pretty average workplace. The campus is nice I guess. A lot of the people can be very genuine and honest.

ConsThe professors are arrogant and rude. They didn't value my work and were often violent and angry. The workplace had a horrible atmosphere. Very few chances for promotions or raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to employees more, give more funding.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great learning experience—many opportunities for growth

Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsAfter receiving my Bachelors, I was able to work while going back to school. I worked off-campus at the Institute for Simulation and Training (IST), and I enjoyed many years of personal growth and networking opportunities.

ConsAs with any other place, politics were sometimes a large challenge. I was OPS (part time, no benefits), so the biggest con, I would say, was difficulty (impossibility) of getting a full-time position. The majority of jobs for IST were contract-based, so when money/funding ran out (especially if you worked for a smaller research lab) some folks had a hard time keeping their employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing comes to mind except for have a stronger voice from IST leadership about how to deal with the politics and issues that come with having a bunch of Ph.D.s fighting for power/stature/money.

Very good Place to work!

Research Associate (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsBeautiful Place, Promising Company, Good environment.

Constoo crowded, not much compensation, you could earn more at other places

lab tech

Lab Tech (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

Prosgood student position to gain experience

Consits a student position take it for what it is

Diverse Institution with lots of opportunity

Instructor (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsLarge institution with lots of room to change areas of focus.
    Rising in rankings on virtually all criteria.
    Strong focus on improvement of institution as a whole and providing training/development for staff.

ConsLarge institution that can feel impersonal at times.
    Parking is crazy.
    It's a state school, so state budgets affect our budgets regardless of our institutional productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on employee training and development.

EXCELLENT

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsSunshine and nice people around.

ConsNot too many available industry in orlando

UCF

Orlando, FL

ProsUCF is a good place to work. The benefits good including tuition waivers, medical, and retirement. Lots of opportunity for growth if you have a degree.

ConsIt is a "government" job so cost of living increases and raises are usually dependent on the state of the state.

It was alright

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsFlexible schedule, decent hours, friendly coworkers, location is convenient. Starting salary isn't terrible. Willing to pay a partial amount if you want to pursue a Master's while working.

ConsAfter I got my Bachelor's, they did not offer me any pay raise. Also, I wanted more hours, but they were unable to give me those.

Worked for University of Central Florida? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Central Florida reviews and ratings in Orlando, FL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Central Florida CEO John C. Hitt. All 124 reviews posted anonymously by University of Central Florida employees.