University of Central Florida

University of Central Florida Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

University of Central Florida President John C. Hitt

John C. Hitt

Pros
  • Your work environment will depend on the advisor sponsoring you (in 14 reviews)

• Great benefits and pay for students right out of Undergraduate (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Little or zero room for advancement (in 4 reviews)

• I was OPS (part time, no benefits), so the biggest con, I would say, was difficulty (impossibility) of getting a full-time position (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great environment and people to work with.

Office Assistant (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsThere are many projects and opportunities for growth while working at UCF. I would say that it does have a sense of fufillment and it is really flexible.

ConsI was part time and believe that I should have gotten paid a few dollars more for the type of work that I was doing. I am doing the college work experience program.

Great!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat, excellent environment- love it there. Amazing people!

ConsNo Cons-Great, excellent environment- love it there. Amazing people!

Faculty vs Staff

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsStability, good benefits. Nice place to retire after working in the private sector. As with most jobs your satisfaction will depend on your current field and your immediate management. Can be a very exiting place to work especially with so many college students around you everyday. Very flexible work schedule and 11 or more paid holidays per year. Excellent health benefits.

ConsStaff pay is much lower than counterparts in the private sector. Unless you are a Faculty, executive level admin or in the IT field expect your salary to max out in the mid 40's. There is a bottleneck at the top which contributes to slow career growth which forces many employees to look outside of the University for growth opportunities. Unless you are planning to start a career as a faculty member or executive level administrator I would suggest that young professionals look for higher paying private sector opportunities early in your career and come to UCF afterwards to finish out your career and put aside money for your retirement. Beware budget cuts as you will have to quickly learn to do more with less.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of options, too many politics...

Coordinator, Academic Support Services (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsFew jobs require more than 40-50 hours per week, great health benefits, two free classes each semester for FT employees, lots of opportunities for diverse jobs in the same institution, vibrant campus to work at with lots of free cultural events and opportunities for personal enrichment OUTSIDE of the workday

ConsExtremely hierarchical in nature, don't keep up with cost of living adjustments, pay to park at place of employment, sometimes feels like an "old boys club", don't appreciate or develop young talent well, very much a "we've always done it this way" mentality in senior leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize young talent when you see it and foster it, more professional development opportunities, more leadership training in how to lead a team, appreciate those that try to go above and beyond instead of being stuck on a job description

I was pushed around a lot and not valued as a researcher.

Research Scientist (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsNot much really, pretty average workplace. The campus is nice I guess. A lot of the people can be very genuine and honest.

ConsThe professors are arrogant and rude. They didn't value my work and were often violent and angry. The workplace had a horrible atmosphere. Very few chances for promotions or raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to employees more, give more funding.

Decent work experience at UCF.

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsThe management are very good people, the geographic area and the tropical weather are both very wonderful. The benefits are decent.

ConsThe salary and benefits are not that great. The university is not particularly prestigious, but that's partly because they are still very young.

Great school to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgive you flexible schedules, and decent pay

Conscan be a little boring depending on the job

Internship opportunity

ProsStimulating and fun. I'm an intern through the incubator program, sponsored by UCF through a scholarship program. Pays well, and very intellectually stimulating.

ConsHR is pretty strict, and hard to deal with. HR is pretty strict, and hard to deal with. Other than that, no problems.

Great learning experience—many opportunities for growth

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsAfter receiving my Bachelors, I was able to work while going back to school. I worked off-campus at the Institute for Simulation and Training (IST), and I enjoyed many years of personal growth and networking opportunities.

ConsAs with any other place, politics were sometimes a large challenge. I was OPS (part time, no benefits), so the biggest con, I would say, was difficulty (impossibility) of getting a full-time position. The majority of jobs for IST were contract-based, so when money/funding ran out (especially if you worked for a smaller research lab) some folks had a hard time keeping their employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing comes to mind except for have a stronger voice from IST leadership about how to deal with the politics and issues that come with having a bunch of Ph.D.s fighting for power/stature/money.

Intern

ProsGood Work environment to learn and grow.

ConsLong hours and some athletes may not appreciate the work.

Worked for University of Central Florida? Contribute to the Community!