University of Central Oklahoma

4.1

University of Central Oklahoma President Don Betz
Don Betz

35 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Just a great place to work!

Current Employee - Athletics  in  Edmond, OK
    Current Employee - Athletics in Edmond, OK

I have been working at University of Central Oklahoma full-time for more than a year

Pros

Atmosphere, environment, work-life balance, professional development opportunities - all things that are so rare these days in an employer!

Cons

I didn't find a role here sooner! Higher Salary in the corporate world does not work out better than the vacation and holidays here at UCO - time IS money!

Make sure to protect the work-life balance here at UCO as it is something unique that we have. The professional development opportunities are a big draw and they should still be a big focus in the future

Overall great university to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Edmond, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmond, OK

Pros

You really feel valued as an employee here. They have staff appreciation events, employee awards, and a lot of great extras for employees. Benefits are also great compared to other places in the area. This is one of the only universities I know of in Oklahoma that actually let their staff park for free on campus and we get free access to our wellness center. And that's in addition to more paid holidays. There are also great professional development opportunities. It is very encouraged to take advantage of opportunities to grow both personally and professionally here. We also get a pretty thorough orientation and training when we first start that includes basic policies and procedures as well as a tour of campus, which I found really helpful since I didn't go to school here. I also love that we are at the forefront of sustainability and lean processes among other universities in the state. So it really feels like a university that cares in a variety of ways.

Cons

Salary is probably one of the worst things, but it's not that far off than other universities I have worked for. Sometimes it feels like some departments are valued more than others so you can get the feeling that your work is not deemed as important. Not every department has a good structure for advancement. You can work somewhere for years and not hear the word promotion. Most of the time you have to apply for a higher position and compete against internal and external candidates for it. And there is no guarantee that you will get the position over an external candidate.

A better structure for advancement opportunities within each department would be nice. More opportunities for merit based awards that can be given within a department rather than competing against a whole campus of people who may be more well known or popular on campus. If no one takes the time to even nominate you, then you have no opportunity even though you work hard.

Great Place to Learn!

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at University of Central Oklahoma part-time for more than a year

Pros

convenient if you are a student, rewarding, learning experience, work well with student schedules

Cons

busy work was given, not really structured

n/a

Aug 15, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your review! I am glad you enjoyed your student experience at UCO - it certainly is a great perk to be able to work on campus as a student!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for entry level

Current Employee - Academic Advisor  in  Edmond, OK
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Edmond, OK

I have been working at University of Central Oklahoma full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The atmosphere in most units is generally positive. Managers can be pretty flexible. Also, the standard extended time off for some holidays that nearly all colleges have.

Cons

Beyond the entry level, opportunity is very limited. Promotion is nearly always done (at least in Enrollment Management) based on who you're friends with. Mission creep is also rampant. Employees are told year after year there's no money for raises but we somehow have enough funding to build a boathouse downtown that is miles away from campus and the vast majority of students will never so much as even see.

It's nice that you tell your employees they're valued, but actions speak much louder than words.

My experience has been great so far. Small town feeling

Current Employee - Academic Advisor  in  Edmond, OK
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Edmond, OK

I have been working at University of Central Oklahoma full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance, the ability to do my work and still be afforded the opportunity to engage with my own children's activities and school functions.

Cons

Would like to see the pay be more competitive

Aug 15, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your review! I am glad you share my belief that work life balance is a big part of UCO - it is certainly important to me - and I'm sure it is just as important to your family!

A Great Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Edmond, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmond, OK

I have been working at University of Central Oklahoma full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I started working at UCO because of my long and sometimes hazardous daily commute to the South side of OKC. Starting at the bottom. I have able to advance to a job that I love. There are many advantages provided by UCO for employees, they offer professional education courses, both online and in the classroom. They constantly strive to help one seek annual goals of achievement. Of course, one of the best perks is that we are off between Christmas and New Year's Day allowing us to have more time for family. Less stress. I have made many life long friends with the staff and students.

Cons

For younger people, it would be salary and compensations.

Aug 15, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your review! I am pleased to hear that UCO has provided a great quality of life for you and that you have made so many connections here - this epitomizes UCO in my opinion, and ... More

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Edmond, OK
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Edmond, OK

Pros

Wonderful work environment, wonderful caring people that want you to grow and expand yur knowledge. Not content with the status quo. It is a place with the attitude "We can always grow and be better."

Cons

Parking! And, traffic in Edmond!

Continue to offer employee growth opportunities and professional development. It is the best way to show employees you care

Aug 15, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your review! I agree that we are always trying to get better as one entity at UCO, and professional development is a big part of that! Traffic is very busy in Edmond, but this is the ... More

Lucky to Work Here

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Edmond, OK
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Edmond, OK

Pros

Co-Workers are very welcoming. UCO offers very comprehensive on-board training which is a definite plus for getting your career off to a good start. They really want you to progress and learn and offer tons of professional development classes throughout the year. They reward hard work and like to promote from within. Great paid holiday schedule, especially if you have school-aged children. Good benefits- health, life, retirement, tuition reimbursement for yourself and family.

Cons

Hard to get hired. They have tons of applicants for each job (because it is a great place to work). Count yourself very lucky if you do get hired. Don't give up if you don't. Apply for everything you think you are qualified for.

Keep employees a top priority just as you do now. It really makes a difference with employee retention and overall career satisfaction.

Aug 15, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for your review! Professional Development is a big priority for our staff and I hope you utilize the learning center frequently to sign up for classes and learning opportunities! I agree with ... More

University on the rise

Current Employee - Professional Staff  in  Edmond, OK
    Current Employee - Professional Staff in Edmond, OK

Pros

Lots of changes and expansion into new areas of the city, new technologies, teaching methods, etc. It's exciting to be part of a campus that is looking towards the future and not dwelling in the past. I get along well with colleagues and I never have to take work home with me. There are ample opportunities to be involved in both job-specific and campus-wide committees. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Compensation is slightly less than I would make at the same position elsewhere in the state, but, so far, the atmosphere and people almost make up for it.

Aug 15, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks you for your review! I am also excited about the development of UCO - as we speak the new living center is currently being constructed on campus - There is a great work-life balance also! As ... More

It has been rewarding.

Current Employee - Cashier In the Bursar's Office  in  Edmond, OK
    Current Employee - Cashier In the Bursar's Office in Edmond, OK

Pros

I really like the staff in my office, we are like a family. I enjoy visiting with the students and learning about their hopes and dreams for the future. I get the opportunity to visit with students every day. Compensation is much more than just dollars you have to consider all benefits. The employees insurance is paid by the Universtiy, we are allowed to use the Wellness Center and then there's GET'EM. Time off is wonderful we have 3 days at Thanksgiving, 2 weeks at Christmas and a week at Spring break. These are in addition to our normal vacation and sick days and Martin Luther King, Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day.

Cons

I really don't have much as far as cons. The values of the company are to give the students an education and to prepare them for their chosen careers. My immediate leadership is great as well as up the ladder. Since I've been here there hasn't been any decissions made that have not made for a better benefit for the employees.

I encourage you to keep making the decissions that you have done based on what's good for the students and the faculty and staff. If anything I feel the university doesn't get as much credit as it should. Why weren't the TV stations here last weekend showing the Endeavor games. Why was there not more about the 2013 Lady's Softball team winning the National Championship or what about our Cheer, Pom, and Stunt teams at Nationals? There is so much good done here and compared to other universities in our state we offer programs that they don't. I encourage more Publicity about how great we really are.

Jun 20, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your review! I fully agree about the staff in my office also - they are great to be around, and make it a pleasure to come to work each day! The benefits at UCO certainly add up to make ... More

Worked for University of Central Oklahoma? Contribute to the Community!