University of Central Oklahoma

University of Central Oklahoma Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

University of Central Oklahoma President Don Betz

Don Betz

My experience has been great so far. Small town feeling

Academic Advisor (Current Employee) Edmond, OK

ProsWork life balance, the ability to do my work and still be afforded the opportunity to engage with my own children's activities and school functions.

ConsWould like to see the pay be more competitive

Great Place to a Work

ProsThe university offers great benefits, including paid medical insurance, generous sick time and vacation as well as 2 paid weeks off at Christmas. Employees also receive a tuition waiver for a portion of their tuition or anyone in their immediate family and it can be used for taking any course offered by the university, not just ones that might benefit your job. The atmosphere is youthful and fun and everyone is very friendly. Management is very approachable.

ConsThe pay is low, but the benefits really help make for that, except you can't pay the rent with benefits. Theirs really not much bad to say about it.

Great community atmosphere

ProsUCO has a great people-oriented atmosphere. My department really is like a family and I've met some great people working for the university. It doesn't feel like I'm just a number, and I love the feeling of belonging to a community. UCO is always good about making sure its employees feel appreciated.

ConsThere aren't many opportunities for advancement and we sometimes have to deal with university politics, same as with any school.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Great Experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Edmond, OK

ProsI started working at UCO because of my long and sometimes hazardous daily commute to the South side of OKC. Starting at the bottom. I have able to advance to a job that I love. There are many advantages provided by UCO for employees, they offer professional education courses, both online and in the classroom. They constantly strive to help one seek annual goals of achievement. Of course, one of the best perks is that we are off between Christmas and New Year's Day allowing us to have more time for family. Less stress. I have made many life long friends with the staff and students.

ConsFor younger people, it would be salary and compensations.

Great people to work with.

ProsHaving worked at another college in the state, UCO doesn't make you pay for a parking permit (aka permit to hunt), or the fitness center and offers lots of opportunities (that are easily accessible) to improve yourself personally an professionally.

ConsPay is a little less than I'm sure most would like, but having been other places feel like it is more than offset by some very good benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementEach week, set aside an hour or two and get out of the Admin building. Spend some time in places that maybe you've never been on campus, or schedule a lunch with an employee that would never expect it. You might be surprised at what you will learn.

Great Place to Work

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Edmond, OK

ProsWonderful work environment, wonderful caring people that want you to grow and expand yur knowledge. Not content with the status quo. It is a place with the attitude "We can always grow and be better."

ConsParking! And, traffic in Edmond!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to offer employee growth opportunities and professional development. It is the best way to show employees you care

Lucky to Work Here

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) Edmond, OK

ProsCo-Workers are very welcoming. UCO offers very comprehensive on-board training which is a definite plus for getting your career off to a good start. They really want you to progress and learn and offer tons of professional development classes throughout the year. They reward hard work and like to promote from within. Great paid holiday schedule, especially if you have school-aged children. Good benefits- health, life, retirement, tuition reimbursement for yourself and family.

ConsHard to get hired. They have tons of applicants for each job (because it is a great place to work). Count yourself very lucky if you do get hired. Don't give up if you don't. Apply for everything you think you are qualified for.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep employees a top priority just as you do now. It really makes a difference with employee retention and overall career satisfaction.

University on the rise

Professional Staff (Current Employee) Edmond, OK

ProsLots of changes and expansion into new areas of the city, new technologies, teaching methods, etc. It's exciting to be part of a campus that is looking towards the future and not dwelling in the past. I get along well with colleagues and I never have to take work home with me. There are ample opportunities to be involved in both job-specific and campus-wide committees. Excellent benefits.

ConsCompensation is slightly less than I would make at the same position elsewhere in the state, but, so far, the atmosphere and people almost make up for it.

It has been rewarding.

Cashier In the Bursar's Office (Current Employee) Edmond, OK

ProsI really like the staff in my office, we are like a family. I enjoy visiting with the students and learning about their hopes and dreams for the future. I get the opportunity to visit with students every day. Compensation is much more than just dollars you have to consider all benefits. The employees insurance is paid by the Universtiy, we are allowed to use the Wellness Center and then there's GET'EM. Time off is wonderful we have 3 days at Thanksgiving, 2 weeks at Christmas and a week at Spring break. These are in addition to our normal vacation and sick days and Martin Luther King, Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day.

ConsI really don't have much as far as cons. The values of the company are to give the students an education and to prepare them for their chosen careers. My immediate leadership is great as well as up the ladder. Since I've been here there hasn't been any decissions made that have not made for a better benefit for the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementI encourage you to keep making the decissions that you have done based on what's good for the students and the faculty and staff. If anything I feel the university doesn't get as much credit as it should. Why weren't the TV stations here last weekend showing the Endeavor games. Why was there not more about the 2013 Lady's Softball team winning the National Championship or what about our Cheer, Pom, and Stunt teams at Nationals? There is so much good done here and compared to other universities in our state we offer programs that they don't. I encourage more Publicity about how great we really are.

University of Central Oklahoma Talent Acquisition Manager responded to this review

Jun 20, 2014

Thank you for your review! I fully agree about the staff in my office also - they are great to be around, and make it a pleasure to come to work each day! The benefits at UCO certainly add up to make ... More

UCO will always be home to me.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Edmond, OK

ProsI am a UCO graduate, and I was excited to return to UCO as an administrative assistant for an academic department. I enjoy my work environment, and I have had wonderful interactions with colleagues all across campus. Also, there are numerous benefits available to full-time employees. This university truly cares about the well-being of both its students and employees.

ConsI don't think I received adequate training or guidance for my position immediately after I was hired, but I was able to learn more about policies and procedures as time passed.

Worked for University of Central Oklahoma? Contribute to the Community!