University of Chicago

www.uchicago.edu

University of Chicago Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Robert J. Zimmer

Pros
  • The University offers good benefits and a great work atmosphere(in 24 reviews)

• Good benefits and reasonable work-life balance, if you want it(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is allergic to responsibility, yet repressive of initiative(in 6 reviews)

• There is little room for career growth and the salary is mediocre(in 5 reviews)

206 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Supportive environment for research-oriented undergraduates

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe faculty are very supportive of students who are interested in research. It's easy to approach labs, and most will take on undergrads with minimal experience. Undergrads get to participate in lab meetings and get hands-on research experience. There are often opportunities for summer and post-grad employment. Most labs are open to their undergrad research assistants completing honors work towards a senior project in the lab, often in conjunction with a graduate student.

ConsSome labs expect undergrads to complete a considerable amount of administrative or secretarial work, in addition to research tasks. As an undergraduate, there are few opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe explicit in the proportion of time expected for different tasks in job descriptions.

Brilliant

Student Support Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery friendly environment, flexible schedule

ConsNot too many cons as far as I remembered

Excellent.

Postdoctoral Scholar (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood training in leadership, competitive academic environment in one of the top-tier universities in USA, and constant intellectual challenge that will never leave you bored.

ConsSometimes work can get too competitive, and the location of the University is not in the best of neighborhoods in Chicago, but as long as you stay vigilant then it is fine.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to hone skills and become who you want to be in your career.

Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSomething new to see and do constantly.

ConsSame difficulties that face all.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe business side of the healthcare industry is important for the hospital to grow but without the patients and employees nothing could be done. Success comes through the patients and employees.

Great place to work

Business Administrator (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe U of C has a variety of opportunities for any management level.

ConsSome departments are underpaid for the same work as other departments.

Research Assistant at Computation Institute

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI get the opportunity to work with really smart people on very difficult technical problems on a daily basis. I really enjoy the work, and hugely appreciate the patience of my managers.

ConsPay is low, but this is to be expected for a part-time student job. Besides that, not much.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Great School. Great Colleagues.

Director of Alumni Relations (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFlexible hours, good compensation, great health insurance, lots of professional development opportunities, smart people, world-renowned institution, opportunities for growth and change

ConsParking is a nightmare, Hyde Park isn't the best neighborhood, bureaucracy can be maddening

Great place to work as a research programmer

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsInteresting problems, cool people, good benefits

ConsLow salary, not the most exciting neighborhood

Great place to foster change

Lab Tech (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosamazing people to work with

Constough work and competition always

Positive

Associate Professor (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat place to work in the city of Chicago.

ConsNone, but the area around the Univ is not so cool!

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for University of Chicago? Contribute to the Community!