University of Chicago

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Robert J. Zimmer

202 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Horrible toxic work environment

Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe best reasons to work here are the caliber of students that you work with. They are highly intelligent and curious.

ConsIt is a toxic, sexist environment where the adminstration treats you like garbage. The benefits suck, many of your coworkers don't care about students and there is a lot of mediocrity, the commute sucks. This was the worst job I have ever had, and after this experience I will never work at a university again.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership is quite poor here. It is a very sexist, demeaning culture, and it is obvious that the culture of the place is all about prestige, and they do not care about employees at all.

Very Racist, Low pay

Clinic Licensed Practical Nurse Senior (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe Benefits are the only good thing

ConsVery racist place to work and they will not pay LPNs what they are worth. My manager asked me to do things that were very unethical and could potentially cause harm to my nursing licences. The University of Chicago is very clickish and will down talk, and be very demeaning to there employees. I was asked to resign after i told my manager that i would not do unethical things. So i resigned. You win some and you lose some.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire someone to do your dirty work because someone with sense will not do it. LPN's are nurse and should be afforded the same benefits as RNs. My manager got rid of me when she found out I wanted to go back to nursing school. Tuition reimbursement is 100% for LPNs that are full time which I am, and the info is located on their homepage website.

The vast bureaucracy and insecurity of academics is hard to take

Administrator (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Prosbeautiful campus, discounted tuition, wonderful classes

Consa great many of the people who work for the University of Chicago spend much of their time trying to prove how smart they are. the posturing is tiresome.

Advice to Senior Managementhire more folks who have worked in corporate and small business settings

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not for everyone; certainly not for me.

Chicago, IL

ProsHigh-prestige university and a big name in graduate business schools. Benefits were excellent; pay was good.

ConsRaises were non-existent for the 3 years I was there, though that was supposedly due to the economic crunch. Faculty is, with notable exceptions, highly aware of their status and prestige, and treat support staff as underlings and nuisances. Managerial skills vary by department, but there seemed to be a disproportionate number of power-conscious blowhards who impose petty demands for the sake of proving they can.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a very close eye on your department heads; some of them seem to be given free rein to abuse employees, show favoritism, ignore stated policies, and perform active revisions of history ("I never said that", said one, and when the employee (not me!) presented this manager with an AUDIOTAPE of this manager saying the very words s/he claimed not to have said, the manager fired the employee for insubordination. That's par for the course.)

The Urban Education Institute is beyond awful.

Chicago, IL

ProsThere are none. I guess if I had to say something it would be that they have decent benefits.

ConsIf you don't agree with your boss, you're in for trouble
    They will never fire you but I have heard them talk about making the environment bad enough to make people quit (constructive discharge)
    Very much a shut-up and do your work mentality
    Staff do not bother showing up for meetings on time
    Management has no real world experience
    Management is untrustworthy
    They waste grant money left and right

Advice to Senior ManagementGo out in the real world and get experience outside of the education sector.

The worst place to ever work

Systems (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsLocation in the City is great

ConsHR is terrible, there is no direction throught the entire university. No definable vision, no real plan of getting anywhere. If I could submit zero stars I would.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a plan that does more than use flowery terms and lip service. Action, Action, Action.

Disappointing with respect to management abilitites and agendas.

ProsLaid back.
    Come and go as you please.
    Compensation OK.

ConsMost management "juiced-in" from University family.
    Senior management overpaid.
    Medieval with respect to for-profit company thinking.

Advice to Senior ManagementBlow up the Press and start over again with management with at least room-temperature IQs.

Not a good place to work here as staff- I know very few people who enjoy working here

Admissions Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGood vacation benefits and health insurance. This is a prestigious university which attracts some of the brightest and interesting students that I have encountered.

ConsPeople do not get recognition for the work they do. Compensation is quite low here, and it is very hard to advance here. Being a staff member at this university really is horrible and I know administration in many different parts of the university who are unhappy. Senior Management is horrible, the people who are in power are failed Ph.D's who could not get tenure-track teaching jobs and are now administrators. Fake and back-stabbing coworkers. All in all, not a happy place to work. Morale is bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff members are key to a university and treating them with respect and dignity is important to the university. Better education benefits is also important. Retaining employees is important to an organization.

I realize that job satisfaction varies widely across departments. My dissatisfaction stems from our non-responsive HR.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsSurrounded by inquisitive and energetic students, low stress, plenty of lunchtime lectures and other interesting events on campus, good work-life balance, staff access to various facilities (e.g. athletic facilities, libraries)

ConsThe amount of red tape is wholly overwhelming. University systems, routines, and databases are slow, clunky, and outdated. There is little room for career growth and the salary is mediocre. To make matters worse, HR is avoidant and makes many empty promises. Again, experience differs greatly from department to department.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to retain talent, please start treating people with respect. Given the amount of red tape present, being an administrative assistant can be frustrating work; unreasonable (and unchecked!) demands from supervisors, empty promises from HR, and inefficient systems makes for a poor working environment.

Choose another graduate school!

Graduate Student (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsName recognition associated with a degree from the University.

ConsUniversity is blatantly uninterested in the problems that face graduate students in the Social Sciences. TA's are grossly underpaid, the health insurance package is abysmal, and funding in general is insufficient and insulting.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake your graduate students seriously.

Worked for University of Chicago? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Chicago reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Chicago CEO Robert J. Zimmer. All 202 reviews posted anonymously by University of Chicago employees.