University of Chicago

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014
3.9

Robert J. Zimmer

Pros
  • The University offers good benefits and a great work atmosphere (in 29 reviews)

• Good benefits and reasonable work-life balance, if you want it (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance in my role, even though they emphasize it because it's non-profit (in 6 reviews)

• Not enough room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

249 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to learn from top-notch researchers

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very friendly faculty and staff, great opportunity to learn numerous techniques, great opportunity to meet many new people and work with many different teams, benefits are good

Cons

pay could be better, extremely faced paced, often feels like there is minimal room for error, disagreements between faculty members can feel a bit stifling sometimes, growth or improvement is not only based on personal performance but often feels based on external circumstances that cannot be controlled

Postdoctoral scholar at Uchicago

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment for interacting with really smart people, fantastic postdocs, grad students and faculty.

Cons

Not much opportunity for personal growth in terms of finding collaborations across environments and department.

Senior Associate Director

Former Employee - Senior Associate Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Chicago (more than 8 years)

Pros

The University of Chicago is a great place to work if you are connected to the University. The University offers great benefits and training programs.

Cons

Depending on what department or division that you work for, there is not always enough room for career advancement. Annual salary increases are not great.

Provide more opportunities for career growth if you want to retain top employees.

Better than most universities for adjuncting but still poor

Former Employee - Lecturer In the Humanities Core in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Lecturer In the Humanities Core in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Chicago as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pays much better than other universities for adjunct faculty positions, got an office, got reimbursed quickly for expenses, desk copies of textbooks reimbursed

Cons

When the president makes over $3 million a year, they can certainly compensate adjunct faculty better, library privileges were better when I was a grad student there, so that was a problem. obviously no benefits as an adjunct

Pay all your teachers fairly, not just the upper level ones and provide benefits

decent grad school experience

Current Employee - Graduate Student - BSD in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Graduate Student - BSD in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Courses are quite flexible, good academia atmosphere, great mentors available when choosing a lab to work in, decent studying environment (library, study room etc)

Cons

The neighborhood is kind of sketchy, and not a whole lot of entertainment.
    But the situation is improving, with the opening of new restaurants, fitness/shopping center, movie theater etc

Positive experience at the Department of Psychology Laboratory

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Chicago full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Though the flexibility you are given completely depends on the size of the lab and the personality of the PI, generally I found the environment to be incredibly encouraging of personal development. The professors inspire respect from the research assistants. Everyone is held to a high standard for hard work, intelligence, and academic rigor. The social environment is congenial and family-like. We celebrated everyone's accomplishments, big or small. I was allowed to attend HR workshops to enhance my skills.

Cons

The general mood at UChicago is somber and highly scholarly. It is not a place that is encouraging of frivolous, non-academic pursuits. While it is a great place to work for anyone who wants research experience, or an insider view into professorial or doctoral student life, I don't think it would be a very relevant or "useful" place to work for those not interested in entering some serious academically oriented research. The hierarchy within the labs are also quite rigid, as years of experience, and educational level pre-determine your level of position within the laboratory. You would have to be seriously proactive and have great insights in order to be allowed to pursue your own project. The opportunity is open to do so, but you really would have to be quite persistent and be able to navigate funding issues.

Teaching Assistance-ship

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Chicago part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working here has been an absolute joy and I could not have been happier with my choice to pursue this undertaking at an institution that prides itself on being a haven for life of the mind.

Cons

Despite what some may say, the self deprecating attitudes of the general undergraduate student population is not representative of the true culture that would thrive in this type of community. People are genuine, work hard, and strive to find meaning.

Excellent Employer. Fantastic research university.

Current Employee - Building Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Building Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Scholarly environment, rewarding work and workplace

Cons

Student employment kept largely separate from full time staff. While there is interaction there are not as many opportunities for transition as possible

Undergraduate research is highly recommended

Former Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Chicago as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best way to apply the material learned in classes and gain out-of-class experience is to participate in cutting-edge research as early as possible. Most faculty have funds allocated for taking on a student or two; a combination of professors, postdocs, and senior students will help you. Research opportunities are not limited to just the physical sciences. I not only learned a great deal, but I am personally satisfied that the body of work I accomplished is meaningful in the context of my field.

Cons

Initially finding a faculty adviser can be difficult. I had to rely on some connections I made through graduate students. On the other hand, there is no harm in asking multiple people at regular (but not too frequent) intervals. Everyone is generally nice. Also, as an undergrad, the learning curve is rather steep. Don't expect to switch research groups every 6 months and try many different fields. In 6 months you will just learn the basics of what is being done. Expect to dedicate 1-2 years for each group, at least.

Good acadmic atmosphere, good place to level up your career

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

nice people, good professors.decent pay for postdocs

Cons

the living enviorment is terrible. dare I say I have received the emails regarding robbery/crime around the neighbores everyday?

no. I don't talk to the management. I only spoken with my advisors mostly.

University of Chicago Photos