University of Chicago

University of Chicago Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

University of Chicago President Bob Zimmer

Bob Zimmer

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance can be tough, but this should not be unexpected in a doctoral program"
    in 10 reviews
  • "The University offers good benefits and a great work atmosphere"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is little room for career growth and the salary is mediocre"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Senior management is allergic to responsibility, yet repressive of initiative"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

good place to work in

Postdoctoral Scholar (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Chicago full-time for more than 3 years

Prosstressful in the laboratory, in general, it is good place to work in.

Consstrict regulations, good work place though

A great company to work for...

Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Chicago full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLoyal to employees. Strong and stable company. Great place to retire from.

ConsChicago is very cold in winter. If you don't like cold and snow, this might be the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementImproved parking and transportation would greatly enhance the quality of the campus and the employee experience.

Research Assistant

Research Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Chicago full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery challenging and creative working environment

ConsI wish to have better trainings in data analysis skills rather than theories. Overall quite challenging.

Advice to Senior Management1) could have more data analysis practices in general

A prestigious university with high-quality faculty, staff, and students

Fundraising (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Chicago full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSince it is a large organization, there are many opportunities for growth, mentorship, and professional networking. Excellence is a standard, not a goal.

ConsLarge organizations can also foster layers of inefficient bureaucracy. This University reorganizes often but teams, departments, and divisions don't always collaborate as well as they could.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on the future, and avoid allowing traditions to hold back innovation.

Overall good experience

Financial Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Chicago full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe people here are fantastic! Working in academia has been a fairly good experience for me. I love how laid back things are and working with some of these faculty members is like working with mini celebrities given their backgrounds, discoveries, etc. Very smart, nice people for the most part. You definitely get a few bad eggs, but typically people here are wonderful. The benefits are also astounding! I currently have the UCHP health plan and I love it! Very good experience and great docs. One other bonus about working at the University is that we have an amazing retirement plan. We have a 403 b (i believe) retirement plan and in addition to that, after you have been at the University for over 3 years you are eligible for a pension. Having both a pension and a 403 b now a days a bit unheard of so props to the University on that!

ConsI second what many of these reviewers have been saying in terms of poor management, politics, and a somewhat messed up culture in which the majority of staff is looked down upon or devalued in comparison to faculty or higher management positions. This is something that I really wish would change here. The staff at the University is fabulous and I do not feel that we are recognized enough by Faculty and University Administration for what we do. Sure, the University is full of amazing faculty and brilliant minds but where would a lot of these people be without the staff that keeps this University running, submits their grant proposals, pays their salaries and supports them? It also is a bit hard to take sometimes when you see a staff member get let go or reprimanded for something small while some upper level staff or faculty can act completely horrific and nothing seems to occur. I also really felt it back in 2008, when their were 1000s of staff layoffs all while the University was spending tens of thousands into beautifying the quad. I understand that there are other issues at play here including limitations on what one can do with tenured faculty or even limitations on certain gifts and money that we are given. Some large gifts have to be spent on creating new buildings/fixing up campus versus salaries. However, I think the perception of these things tends to create a bit of an us versus them mentality and I think that University Administration should recognize this for once and start to work on shifting the culture and backing their staff a bit.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to recognize some of the issues with the politics and culture here and start to work on shifting it. Work with faculty or managers on their supervisory/people skills if they need help with this. Don't just let certain things slide because of their position. Also, perhaps having some more staff appreciation functions/days would be nice. We do get honored if we give so many years of service but I don't see much else coming from the University on this.

Short-term researcher in energy

Research Associate (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Chicago full-time for less than a year

ProsCampus is lovely, lots of events/talks/discussions to attend, lots of new buildings and equipment, most folk work on Macs

ConsHard to get exposure to higher-up people, can be very departmental and segmented

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on hiring folk full time, not just using overworked undergraduate and graduate students for research.

Good environment for academic research

Postdoctoral Scholar (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Chicago full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe University of Chicago has many top-tier researchers who are passionate about their fields. As a postdoc, it's a good place to concentrate on research and get good work done.

ConsMy departmental administration is great, but the university administration doesn't seem to have much respect for postdocs. Postdoc benefits, for example, are done through a third-party contractor, and are not the same as any other university employees. It took them more than two months to start my health insurance when I started working here.

i worked in a fast paced environment that was both challenging and exciting with a touch competativeness

Patient Service Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Chicago full-time for more than 10 years

Prosthe u of c is a learning experience that sticks with you for a lifetime. the people are hardworking and the benefits are good

Consnot always having the supplies you need to do a good job. it makes the patients suffer needlessly. trying to assist them could result in corrective action

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should listen to the employees more about issues concerning the patients and the non medical care

Not as good as Harvard

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Chicago full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits. You start with 3 weeks of vacation. Pretty campus environment with many cafes and coffeeshops. Great for taking a walk to clear your head. Good reputation.

ConsMassive bureaucratic gridlock, lack of creativity, disinterest in actually obtaining results. Lip service given to anything and everything. Administrative jobs operate primarily in support of lip service, not to advance innovation, learning, or quality, or to support students. General lack of competency and talent among personnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementWrite a mission statement. Hold people accountable to it. Stop trying to be Harvard. There is a fundamental conflict between wanting to excel and wanting to replicate. Excellence is achieved by leading, not by following.

Research Assistant

Research Assistant (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Chicago part-time for more than a year

Pros-Learned New Lab Techniques
-Self-determined Work Hours

Cons-Repetitive
-Employer disinterest in exploring talent

Advice to Senior ManagementTake advantage of research assistants, help strengthen their abilities as they are willing to help on any project. If you lead them well, they will continue working.

Worked for University of Chicago? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Chicago reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Chicago CEO Bob Zimmer. All 249 reviews posted anonymously by University of Chicago employees.