University of Chicago

www.uchicago.edu

University of Chicago Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Robert J. Zimmer

Pros
  • The University offers good benefits and a great work atmosphere(in 24 reviews)

• Good benefits and reasonable work-life balance, if you want it(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is allergic to responsibility, yet repressive of initiative(in 6 reviews)

• There is little room for career growth and the salary is mediocre(in 5 reviews)

Toxic- It's not just a Britney Spears song.

Assistant Director Development (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsRelationships with peers tend to become very strong, as many times we have had to rely heavily on one another to complete tasks and projects- which tend to come down with pressure and very last-minute.

I have made friendships with co-workers that I treasure and who have understood how difficult working at UChicago has been.

UChicago looks nice on a resume- but was not worth it in exchange for the deplorable working environment.

ConsI like to consider myself a true optimist- but this is the absolute worst working environment I've ever been in. I almost don't know where to begin...

Advancement opportunities are rare, and promotions have been given to those people who (among other things) verbally abuse their coworkers and have been documented incidents during my time there. For a promotion, the worker is almost always a white male (which seems to contradict the "diverse working environment" UChicago likes to tout) and appears to always have an unusually close relationship with their boss. In other words, the "yes" man is alive and well in this office.

The actual team dynamic is disastrous. Micro-management is considered effective management, and I (along with my coworkers) were not trusted to make any type of decisions over programming whatsoever. Ironically, mistakes or failures would then be attributed to the same staff who did not have any control/decision making over those processes to begin with. While HR is aware of team issues and the horrible morale, no steps have been taken to address the situation- and supervisors have never openly recognized it with staff.

Trust between staff and management is non-existent. I have been made aware of examples when my supervisor has given me directions (which I had in handwriting from them), and then in my following through on those directions, denied any involvement (and blamed me) to those higher-up when it became a problem. "Throwing Under the Bus" could be an Olympic sport- and my career at UChicago suffered when I refused to participate (along with some of my coworkers). Staff are very rarely, if ever, thanked for their job. While it seems small, just knowing that someone/anyone recognized my work would have really made a difference in how I felt about my job there.

Any type of disagreement/criticism with management is severely frowned upon- there have been meetings where people have been expressly asked not to bring any of their issues/concerns to management as they will not be considered (for being too "negative" in nature). However, a condescending tone with staff is a hallmark of the office culture. The irony.

For a prestigious university with such a hefty endowment (approx. $6.67 billion dollars), as well as the pressure of hitting high goals (with an understaffed team), compensation is significantly less than at local/peer institutions. If you're in development and are looking for competitive pay, you will not find it at UChicago.

Underneath the shiny veneer of our logo, the University of Chicago has proven to me that no matter what your non-profit status is or how altruistic your mission statement may be, it exists as a quagmire of the worst aspects of a job. Arrogance, favoritism, sexism, duplicity and opportunism lives within the walls of their development offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou don't deserve advice.

OK

ProsTop tier university. Great for graduate training

Consbenefits are not great for staffs.

A prestigious University mainly focused on theoretical research

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsTeaching load for TA varies from class to class but all are great experience for those who will later on teach in the college.

ConsThe University is not located in a very safe neighborhood and you have to stay alert while walking in the street.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

Research Lab Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery stable, nice HR people

ConsLocation is in Hyde Park

Knowledge enriched, but not compensated equally.

Business Administrator (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe enthusiasm of the alumni makes it worth it. Great learning experience.

ConsChallenges are working with many different personalities.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be more appreciative of employees. You did not achieve your goals without the help of others.

Great work experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosintellectual, great co-workers, beautiful campus

Consa lot of hours, not the typical higher ed job

Great place to work

Business Administrator (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe U of C has a variety of opportunities for any management level.

ConsSome departments are underpaid for the same work as other departments.

Excellent research opportunities

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThey gave me a paid research job as a second year undergraduate with very little qualification. Just because they are a big research university does not mean that they overlook their undergraduates

ConsMy research job could have benefitted from more structure

Great place to grow intellectually.

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMy colleagues were fantastic. They are all incredibly intelligent, friendly and helpful. I could not ask for a better set of coworkers.

ConsHyde Park is not an ideal place to live if you really want to experience Chicago.
    Other than that, I really can't complain.

Part-time research assistant & student

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsDepends on department, but typically very flexible with schedules.

ConsCommuting by CTA everyday can be a hassle sometimes, but otherwise pretty solid for a part-time employee balancing work and school.

Worked for University of Chicago? Contribute to the Community!