University of Chicago Hospital

Updated February 16, 2015
3.9

University of Chicago Hospital President Sharon O'Keefe
Sharon O'Keefe

Pros
  • Cutting edge research, relaxed work environment (in 3 reviews)

• Good benefits; you're surrounded by smart people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, and very boring and tedious work (in 3 reviews)

• It is diffiucult to move up the ladder, and the work life balance is not that great (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Research Technician in a small lab, no complaints

Former Employee - Research Technologist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Research Technologist in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Chicago Hospital

Pros

Great work/life balance, appropriate salary, good location, very flexible personal days/sick days/vacation days. Access to healthy lunch options, public transportation, and university science community. These policies are lab dependent; my lab was small and I was functionally my own boss.

Cons

No knowledge of healthcare coverage (was on my parent's plan at the time). Different labs have different policies; but generally labs are open to your schedule.

Again, laboratories are different from other parts of the company. Any issue I had was quickly resolved, and the administration staff was very helpful. Basically, I didn't interact with management; but my boss/Principal Investigator was awesome.

Staff RN

I worked at University of Chicago Hospital

Pros

Worked with a wonderful group of nurses. There were opportunities for further learning through multiple classes held throughout the year. There are many opportunities to get involved with various committees and you can be as involved as you wish to be. Great training process set up for pediatric nurses.

There are excellent benefits with regard to paying for grad school and they give you wonderful opportunities to further your education.

Cons

Focus is very much on the Medicine side, not nursing. I think this is also because U of C has a Medical School and no nursing school.

Great learning experience, diverse cultures.

Current Employee - Nursing Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Nursing Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago Hospital full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, most nurses awesome to work with, great learning experience.

Cons

Every work place have their ups and downs, they praise nurses but forget the other staff, some complications with staying true to their word.

Don't always focus on just the nurses.

Non-clinical staff ignored, understaffed

Current Employee - Non-clinical Business Professional in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Non-clinical Business Professional in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Prestigious. Good benefits (medical, dental, vacation).

Cons

Non-clinical staff are treated as second-tier (educational and growth opportunities are largely for clinical staff). There is a culture of blame and huge deference to physicians (even when the docs are obviously wrong). Whoever yells loudest gets the goodies.

Be more objective. Stop saying yes to all the squeaky wheels. Doing so is detrimental to budgets, planning and operations in general.

Never getting magnet status!!!

Former Employee - Staff RN in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Chicago Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good experience and good pay

Cons

Racist and over worked. Management has significant issues.

Don't be racist.

Many organizations in one. Experience varies significantly by department, team, role, etc.

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago Hospital full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Because it's a large organization with many departments and teams, there are many opportunities to learn. Well respected institution. Good benefits. Level of challenge.

Cons

Widespread lack of respect is often accepted from physicians and others higher in the hierarchy. Bureaucratic. Can be overwhelming. Silos. Parking.

Disrespect and disregard for human dignity should never be tolerated on any level, and in fact, should be reprimanded. Unfortunately, in some cases, it's actually rewarded.

My experience provided an opportunity to grow in an academic setting, where innovation is expected.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The work that you do, will be meaningful and impactful to people around the world.

Cons

There is a deliberate culture shift in progress, to change to a more collaborative culture, enabling more opportunities to share information and work products across the institution.

Seek out opportunities to engage, the surrounding community with people from the community who can articulate more clearly the work that you do and just how it helps. This continues to be an area of opportunity for the Hospital and the institution itself.

Excellent Company!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Chicago Hospital full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The Medical Center's brand is well-respected, employment is highly desirable and the institution has an interest in community-development. The current CEO, Sharon O'Keefe, is engaging, outspoken, culturally aware, innovative and seeks to break the mold.

Cons

There is limited opportunity for upward mobility.

Employee training and enhancement opportunities should be promoted better. Opportunities for advancement should be outlined (i.e. development tracks). The tuition-reimbursement amounts should be re-negotiated.

Good for first experience (Worked as a clinical research intern)

Former Intern - Clinical Research Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Clinical Research Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Chicago Hospital as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good way to get your foot in the door as a student, and also to interact with many kinds of people in the medical field.

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth. A lot of the work was administrative and not engaging.

Overall it was just okay.

Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Chicago Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It was close to my home. The pay was pretty good.

Cons

There was not enough training, there were to many cliques, the management was awful. Management went out and partied with employees and just too much favoritism.

Be professional, do your job and treat everyone the same.