University of Chicago Hospital

Be The First To
Add Photos

University of Chicago Hospital President Sharon O'Keefe

Sharon O'Keefe

Pros
  • Cutting edge research, relaxed work environment(in 3 reviews)

• Fast paced, challenging environment, good pay, great location(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, and very boring and tedious work(in 3 reviews)

• Advancement opportunities are limited unless you know someone; no significant difference in pay based on education i(in 2 reviews)

High caliber environment, but a great deal of inertia as well.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat amount of resources available to employees in terms of research guidance and learning. Good for people interested in clinical and laboratory research. Also, access to conferences abound, the downtown campus regularly hosts excellent forums and CMEs that invite accomplished professionals of different specialties.

ConsIt can be difficult to try new things and gain momentum when experimenting with something out of the ordinary. Not a con specific to UCHospitals, of course, but something to expect regardless.

Great place to learn but it comes with challenges

Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGreat work/life balance
    Supportive, management
    Great learning environment for clinicians and non-clinicians
    Talented employees
    Best pay in Chicago market

ConsVery Political
    Less progressive than other academic medical centers
    Physicians are perceived to be more of the focus than the patient (perceptionally)
    Okay food options
    HR isn't always in sync with management
    Subpar communication regarding changes across the board
    Disgruntled, bitter employees due to lack of employee engagement

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement strategies to make employees happy in order to make the patients happy
    Doctors should not be the primary driver behind some organizational decisions (beneficial to patients and staff)

A new experience in a high paced office.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsGreat patient care and busy environment

ConsPhysical location and parking is challenging.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good career development opportunities

Postdoctoral Scholar (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsNote I was in a research unit of the hospital so my review may not apply to the clinical side. The unit offers a great work environment where you can access to many of the brightest people in the world and enjoy some spillover of their thinking. It was a delight to spend a year there and I fully enjoyed it.

ConsThe location is not the best. I lived in a university apartment one block and occasionally could hear gun shots. Cost of living could be high though may be moderate compared to coastal metropolitan areas. Traffic was bad but may be not the worst. You would experience most of the cons for a metropolitan area.

Resident In Diagnostic Radiology (Former Employee)

Prosgreat experience as a resident physician with great teachers, faculty and patients/ cases, top academics and easy going atmosphere

Conssouth of Chicago, not best neighborhood, poor parking, costly food in out pt good café, bad food in cheap hosp café. salary could be better

I had great experience with staff and working for the University

Human Resources Talent Acquisition Sourcer/Recruiter (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat exposure and opportunity for growth for the right candidate also great location

ConsNo permanent positions and permanent positions were only part time and hard to get into

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more permanent and less temp jobs would be great

An ordinary institute to perform your postdoc research

Postdoctoral Scholar (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsInterdisciplinary research centres; beautiful campus; extended dining options; the laboratories are well equipped and one could progress his/her research comfortably.

ConsBenefit packages is poor; postdocs don't have a real status and are not considered real employees although they perform most of the work in the research lab. The Cummings Life Science Center building is hideous!

Intern Radiology Engineering

ProsGreat team in the Radiology Engineering department.

ConsNew equipment - doesn't break.

Great benefits

Emergency Room Coordinator (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsUniverversity of Chicago Medical center offers great health and tuition reinbursement. The pay scale is above average similar job titles in the city of Chicago.

ConsIt is diffiucult to move up the ladder, and the work life balance is not that great. If you are in the union you have to adhear to the attendance policy which is not fair and a set up for failure.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Surrounded by Intelligent People

Patient Appointment Coordinator (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAbove average pay compared to other healthcare facilities

ConsLove my job : )

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps more tuition assistance for students not attending U of C.

Worked for University of Chicago Hospital? Contribute to the Community!