University of Chicago Hospital

94 reviews filtered by
3.3
University of Chicago Hospital President Sharon O'Keefe
Sharon O'Keefe

Pros
  • Cutting edge research, relaxed work environment (in 3 reviews)

• Good benefits; you're surrounded by smart people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, and very boring and tedious work (in 3 reviews)

• It is diffiucult to move up the ladder, and the work life balance is not that great (in 2 reviews)

1. Radiology

Current Employee - Rad Tech
    Current Employee - Rad Tech

I have been working at University of Chicago Hospital (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Drs. Diverse atmosphere, learn a lot

Cons

Management can sometimes micomanage too much

Advice to Management

Listen to employees more

2. I was an undergraduate clinical research assistant, so this was basically an internship.

Former Intern - Research Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Research Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Chicago Hospital as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Super flexible staff/clinic hours, get to know the staff and doctors and have them write really great letters of rec/references for you. They are really friendly once you get to know the staff, and will work with you when you're recruiting patients for research studies.

Cons

Fast paced. Clinic goes fast and the residents and fellows assigned to department would bully you a bit into finishing early. I understand its their job to give the patient care, but it would be nice if they wouldn't just kick you out of the room and instead gave you a couple minutes to finish up or at least wrap up what you're doing and inform you to come back. Some residents did that, but some of the fellows would just kick you out.

Advice to Management

Not much that I have to say. Maybe more consistent with scheduling of volunteers? Hire someone to keep charge of organisation for the volunteers and interns?

3. Inspirational organization that has a wonderful opportunity to be a beacon on the South Side of Chicago for the world

I worked at University of Chicago Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Focused on safe, effective and equitable care for all. Leadership is always looking to improve the quality of care, employee environment and the community impact.

Cons

Not everyone wants to improve that the rate that is needed to achieve excellence in patient care, employee engagement and community benefit. Be strong enough to demand that everyone is respected and if people can not operate in a principled manner, let them leave.

Advice to Management

Keep improving the organization and especially reward those who have stayed, improved and had a great impact on people inside and outside of the organization.

5. Research Technician in a small lab, no complaints

Former Employee - Research Technologist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Research Technologist in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Chicago Hospital

Pros

Great work/life balance, appropriate salary, good location, very flexible personal days/sick days/vacation days. Access to healthy lunch options, public transportation, and university science community. These policies are lab dependent; my lab was small and I was functionally my own boss.

Cons

No knowledge of healthcare coverage (was on my parent's plan at the time). Different labs have different policies; but generally labs are open to your schedule.

Advice to Management

Again, laboratories are different from other parts of the company. Any issue I had was quickly resolved, and the administration staff was very helpful. Basically, I didn't interact with management; but my boss/Principal Investigator was awesome.

6. Very Stressful

Current Employee - Sterile Processing Technician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sterile Processing Technician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are courteous, benefits are generous, potential for growth.

Cons

Not a pleasant place to work.

Advice to Management

If you have not obtained certification in the sterile processing field and you are a manager. What does this say about this establishment.

7. Staff RN

I worked at University of Chicago Hospital

Pros

Worked with a wonderful group of nurses. There were opportunities for further learning through multiple classes held throughout the year. There are many opportunities to get involved with various committees and you can be as involved as you wish to be. Great training process set up for pediatric nurses.

There are excellent benefits with regard to paying for grad school and they give you wonderful opportunities to further your education.

Cons

Focus is very much on the Medicine side, not nursing. I think this is also because U of C has a Medical School and no nursing school.

8. Great learning experience, diverse cultures.

Current Employee - Nursing Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Nursing Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, most nurses awesome to work with, great learning experience.

Cons

Every work place have their ups and downs, they praise nurses but forget the other staff, some complications with staying true to their word.

Advice to Management

Don't always focus on just the nurses.

9. Non-clinical staff ignored, understaffed

Current Employee - Non-clinical Business Professional in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Non-clinical Business Professional in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Prestigious. Good benefits (medical, dental, vacation).

Cons

Non-clinical staff are treated as second-tier (educational and growth opportunities are largely for clinical staff). There is a culture of blame and huge deference to physicians (even when the docs are obviously wrong). Whoever yells loudest gets the goodies.

Advice to Management

Be more objective. Stop saying yes to all the squeaky wheels. Doing so is detrimental to budgets, planning and operations in general.

10. Never getting magnet status!!!

Former Employee - Staff RN in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Chicago Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good experience and good pay

Cons

Racist and over worked. Management has significant issues.

Advice to Management

Don't be racist.

11. Many organizations in one. Experience varies significantly by department, team, role, etc.

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Because it's a large organization with many departments and teams, there are many opportunities to learn. Well respected institution. Good benefits. Level of challenge.

Cons

Widespread lack of respect is often accepted from physicians and others higher in the hierarchy. Bureaucratic. Can be overwhelming. Silos. Parking.

Advice to Management

Disrespect and disregard for human dignity should never be tolerated on any level, and in fact, should be reprimanded. Unfortunately, in some cases, it's actually rewarded.