University of Chicago

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014

3.8

Robert J. Zimmer

Pros
  • The University offers good benefits and a great work atmosphere (in 24 reviews)

• Good benefits and reasonable work-life balance, if you want it (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is allergic to responsibility, yet repressive of initiative (in 6 reviews)

• There is little room for career growth and the salary is mediocre (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Teaching Assistance-ship

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Chicago, IL

Pros

Working here has been an absolute joy and I could not have been happier with my choice to pursue this undertaking at an institution that prides itself on being a haven for life of the mind.

Cons

Despite what some may say, the self deprecating attitudes of the general undergraduate student population is not representative of the true culture that would thrive in this type of community. People are genuine, work hard, and strive to find meaning.

Excellent Employer. Fantastic research university.

Current Employee - Building Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Building Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Scholarly environment, rewarding work and workplace

Cons

Student employment kept largely separate from full time staff. While there is interaction there are not as many opportunities for transition as possible

Excellent Research University. Scholarly environment.

Former Employee - Research Specialist II
    Former Employee - Research Specialist II

Pros

The university prides itself on its research with a commitment to greatness. The research that come out of the university is progressive, innovative, and scholarly. Prides itself on having alumni who have earned Nobel Peace Prizes.

Cons

Incredibly high stress and intense working environment with pressures to not just conduct important research but be the best. There is also little room for career advancement. Bureaucracy is difficult to navigate.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Post-Award Administrator

Current Employee - Post-Award Administrator  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Post-Award Administrator in Chicago, IL

Pros

It's one of the most famous universities in the world.

Cons

Since the limited budget issue, you will have less opportunity to continue to increase the knowledge.

Undergraduate research is highly recommended

Former Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Chicago, IL

Pros

The best way to apply the material learned in classes and gain out-of-class experience is to participate in cutting-edge research as early as possible. Most faculty have funds allocated for taking on a student or two; a combination of professors, postdocs, and senior students will help you. Research opportunities are not limited to just the physical sciences. I not only learned a great deal, but I am personally satisfied that the body of work I accomplished is meaningful in the context of my field.

Cons

Initially finding a faculty adviser can be difficult. I had to rely on some connections I made through graduate students. On the other hand, there is no harm in asking multiple people at regular (but not too frequent) intervals. Everyone is generally nice. Also, as an undergrad, the learning curve is rather steep. Don't expect to switch research groups every 6 months and try many different fields. In 6 months you will just learn the basics of what is being done. Expect to dedicate 1-2 years for each group, at least.

Good acadmic atmosphere, good place to level up your career

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

nice people, good professors.decent pay for postdocs

Cons

the living enviorment is terrible. dare I say I have received the emails regarding robbery/crime around the neighbores everyday?

no. I don't talk to the management. I only spoken with my advisors mostly.

Monotonous work lacking clear direction

Former Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Chicago, IL

Pros

In some small way, contribute to important research. I enjoyed being able to work directly with a professor whose name I have read in popular publications.

Cons

Repetitive data entry work without clear deadlines or understanding of project. I did not understand what the greater purpose of my monotonous labor was.

Better communication about purpose of work.

postdoctoral fellow

Pros

Great, very bright people to work with; plenty of room to grow career in research setting; hard work gets recognized and awarded.

Cons

The town of Hyde Park is not good place to live.

U of C, IT Services - good

Current Employee - IT Person  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT Person in Chicago, IL

Pros

ability to make a difference and give feedback, flexible work hours, work from home policy, annual reviews and several recognition programs, open positions e-mailed to all staff but the advancement process is competitive, good team atmosphere with people in my group

Cons

would like better training plans and clearer advancement paths, work-life balance, long commute from west suburbs, parking, Lab School benefit can be tough to get for middle school kids

improve training policies, make sure managers follow up on advancement paths

Great Long term employment

Pros

If you are interested in pursuing a MBA, there is a great educational benefits

Cons

Unless you are promoted, you will only receive cost of living raises

Worked for University of Chicago? Contribute to the Community!