University of Chicago Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. It helps to have an academic background

I worked at University of Chicago

Pros

Fantastic place to work, especially if you are familiar with institutions of higher education and the way they work. You will be surrounded by lots of really smart people who take their work and mission very seriously, and pride themselves on doing/being the best they can.

Cons

Everything you do or try takes lots of time and to develop. Every idea and decision is examined, discussed, evaluated, challenged, refined, improved, and discussed again, before moving forward. This is something the University of Chicago particularly prides itself on, and I suspect most of the staff there would consider this a solid endorsement, however in my experience, the end result did not necessarily justify the means.

Advice to Management

Although my experience there was overall a favorable one, I did not work there long enough to presume any advice I might offer to any university leadership.

2. Exciting place for research

I have been working at University of Chicago full-time

Pros

Excellent office facilities, very smart and colleagues, name recognition

Cons

housing condition not good, living condition can be improved

3. Administration does not care about staff

I worked at University of Chicago full-time

Pros

You're surrounded by really smart people, and the work is often interesting. I've heard the pay and benefits are good compared to other colleges and universities in the area, although lower than comparable salaries in government or the private sector. Some departments have excellent managers and coworkers.

Cons

The culture is arrogant and elitist. Many faculty and especially the upper administration demonstrate little to no respect for staff or the surrounding community. Administration makes poor decisions and show a lack of common sense or sound strategy in decision-making. Administration salaries are way too high compared to staff. The President acts more like a CEO than a faculty administrator, and seems to be corporatizing the University. The Hyde Park campus is difficult to commute to unless you live in Hyde Park or nearby. There are no direct CTA trains, the Metra Electric line does not connect to any of the other Metra lines, and parking is extremely difficult. The University has done nothing to alleviate this problem. Even if your department tries to maintain decent work-life balance, the lengthy commute undermines these efforts.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees with respect, rather than as disposable resources who don't factor into your decision making.

5. Research Support Assistant

I worked at University of Chicago

Pros

Worked under experts in field from all across the world. I had an amazing boss/PI, placed a lot of responsibility and autonomy in my hands. Our work has been published in numerous leading publications.

Cons

As with any research lab these days, always fighting for more funding. Lab could have been much more effective without having to spend so much time writing grants.

Advice to Management

Tough to say how, but do your best to secure funding to prevent losing top-tier research talent with the limited number of fellowships, grant-funded positions, etc.

6. Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture of people. They offer training and are very supportive with growth within the company. Also very supportive with personal home-life issues.

Cons

When people leave they give you extra responsibilities with no extra pay. But thats typical for most companies.

7. Working at U of C

I have been working at University of Chicago

Pros

Intellectual and competitive environment. Nice core facilities

Cons

Compensation seems to be lower than in other institutions

8. Research Specialist

Former Employee - Research Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Research Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Chicago full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Fantastic location on the prettiest campus to which I have ever been - Great medical benefits - Decent pay - University gives ample paid leave

Cons

- Very segregated community with little interaction between various research units - HR is relatively useless if a problem should arise between you and the PI

Advice to Management

Figure out a system that prevents PIs from wantonly abusing those who work under them

9. research coordinator

I have been working at University of Chicago

Pros

good environment, good training, very helpful and understanding

Cons

too far for me, salary not too good for qualifications

10. Graduate Student

Current Employee - Graduate Student
    Current Employee - Graduate Student

I have been working at University of Chicago full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Alright PhD Financial Support (it's at least guaranteed 5 years, even if it isn't a whole bunch). Better summer financial support now than when I started. Great community of other grad students with many grad-related activities on campus. Increasingly more opportunities for learning about careers outside of academia (via workshops, internships, externships, etc). PhD stipend includes tuition remission and health insurance. Good campus for learning, thinking, and getting work done. The name goes far when applying to jobs both locally and nationally.

Cons

Stipend slightly less than comparable schools. Have to pay an activities fee every quarter (around $350). Quality of your PhD experience will vary widely depending on your advisor (of course, that is true almost everywhere).

Advice to Management

n/a

11. looking back

I worked at University of Chicago full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, intellectually stimulating, wonderful students, great library, wonderful to be a part of an international community, placing value on cultural diversity, caring contribution to the Southside of Chicago

Cons

Horrible and growing bureaucracy, unnecessary hierarchy, lack of respect for professional staff, lack of understanding of work/life balance, need to understand the modern workplace,

Advice to Management

Upper administration needs better to understand the situation and needs of the professional staff. The university is not a factory but an intellectual community made up of faculty, students, alumni and professional and clerical staff.

RSS Feed </> Embed