University of Chicago

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
3.8

Robert J. Zimmer

Pros
  • The University offers good benefits and a great work atmosphere (in 24 reviews)

• Good benefits and reasonable work-life balance, if you want it (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is allergic to responsibility, yet repressive of initiative (in 6 reviews)

• There is little room for career growth and the salary is mediocre (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent experience.

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Chicago full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hyde Park is a nice area with plenty of attractions. UChiacgo faculty and students are friendly and helpful. Overall a very positive experience.

Cons

None really to discuss, aside from parking. The area around campus is not safe at night, and students should avoid walking around then.

None

Great place to work and grow career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great, very bright people to work with; plenty of room to grow career in research setting; hard work gets recognized and awarded; research is cutting edge; beautiful campus.

Cons

Administration/HR processing can be more efficient; higher-ups can be more down to earth, social and relaxed; in terms of outside environment, there are not many shops/restaurants to choose from around the area.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Business Administrator  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Administrator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The U of C has a variety of opportunities for any management level.

Cons

Some departments are underpaid for the same work as other departments.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent research opportunities

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They gave me a paid research job as a second year undergraduate with very little qualification. Just because they are a big research university does not mean that they overlook their undergraduates

Cons

My research job could have benefitted from more structure

Toxic- It's not just a Britney Spears song.

Former Employee - Assistant Director Development  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Director Development in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Chicago full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relationships with peers tend to become very strong, as many times we have had to rely heavily on one another to complete tasks and projects- which tend to come down with pressure and very last-minute.

I have made friendships with co-workers that I treasure and who have understood how difficult working at UChicago has been.

UChicago looks nice on a resume- but was not worth it in exchange for the deplorable working environment.

Cons

I like to consider myself a true optimist- but this is the absolute worst working environment I've ever been in. I almost don't know where to begin...

Advancement opportunities are rare, and promotions have been given to those people who (among other things) verbally abuse their coworkers and have been documented incidents during my time there. For a promotion, the worker is almost always a white male (which seems to contradict the "diverse working environment" UChicago likes to tout) and appears to always have an unusually close relationship with their boss. In other words, the "yes" man is alive and well in this office.

The actual team dynamic is disastrous. Micro-management is considered effective management, and I (along with my coworkers) were not trusted to make any type of decisions over programming whatsoever. Ironically, mistakes or failures would then be attributed to the same staff who did not have any control/decision making over those processes to begin with. While HR is aware of team issues and the horrible morale, no steps have been taken to address the situation- and supervisors have never openly recognized it with staff.

Trust between staff and management is non-existent. I have been made aware of examples when my supervisor has given me directions (which I had in handwriting from them), and then in my following through on those directions, denied any involvement (and blamed me) to those higher-up when it became a problem. "Throwing Under the Bus" could be an Olympic sport- and my career at UChicago suffered when I refused to participate (along with some of my coworkers). Staff are very rarely, if ever, thanked for their job. While it seems small, just knowing that someone/anyone recognized my work would have really made a difference in how I felt about my job there.

Any type of disagreement/criticism with management is severely frowned upon- there have been meetings where people have been expressly asked not to bring any of their issues/concerns to management as they will not be considered (for being too "negative" in nature). However, a condescending tone with staff is a hallmark of the office culture. The irony.

For a prestigious university with such a hefty endowment (approx. $6.67 billion dollars), as well as the pressure of hitting high goals (with an understaffed team), compensation is significantly less than at local/peer institutions. If you're in development and are looking for competitive pay, you will not find it at UChicago.

Underneath the shiny veneer of our logo, the University of Chicago has proven to me that no matter what your non-profit status is or how altruistic your mission statement may be, it exists as a quagmire of the worst aspects of a job. Arrogance, favoritism, sexism, duplicity and opportunism lives within the walls of their development offices.

You don't deserve advice.

OK

I have been working at University of Chicago full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Top tier university. Great for graduate training

Cons

benefits are not great for staffs.

A prestigious University mainly focused on theoretical research

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Teaching load for TA varies from class to class but all are great experience for those who will later on teach in the college.

Cons

The University is not located in a very safe neighborhood and you have to stay alert while walking in the street.

Good

Current Employee - Research Lab Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Research Lab Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very stable, nice HR people

Cons

Location is in Hyde Park

Knowledge enriched, but not compensated equally.

Current Employee - Business Administrator  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Administrator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Chicago full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The enthusiasm of the alumni makes it worth it. Great learning experience.

Cons

Challenges are working with many different personalities.

Management should be more appreciative of employees. You did not achieve your goals without the help of others.

Great work experience

I worked at University of Chicago

Pros

intellectual, great co-workers, beautiful campus

Cons

a lot of hours, not the typical higher ed job

Worked for University of Chicago? Contribute to the Community!