University of Colorado Reviews

Reset
3.8
University of Colorado President Bruce D. Benson
Bruce D. Benson

Pros
  • Good environment, one class paid for by the system every semester, knowledge enrichment opportunities and good benefits (in 6 reviews)

• Good work-life balance, decent compensation, not overly bureaucratic (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Decisions by upper management are not always well thought out with respect to unintended consequences (in 3 reviews)

• As any grad program, the balance between work and pay is pretty brutal (in 2 reviews)

1. Great Place

Current Employee - Network and VPN Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Network and VPN Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent people and location. Fantastic benefits and PARA

Cons

Lower than average salary hard no yearly bonus structure.

2. CU Boulder

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at University of Colorado (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are generally nice and cooperative

Cons

There are a lot of Office Politics

Advice to Management

Be More personable to lower level employees

3. Graduate Research Assistant

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Boulder, CO

I worked at University of Colorado part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked as a graduate research assistant in the department of computer science and found it to be a great place to work. The faculty was very attentive to my needs and I had access to any available department resources that could help me accomplish my tasks.

Cons

Although the faculty were very helpful and available many of my graduate student peers were absent. Overall, there could have been more focus on building a sense of community among the graduate researchers.

Advice to Management

It would be helpful to have more culture building opportunities with fellow graduate students. This could include informal activities but more importantly it would be better to have cross-collaboration among research groups in the department.

5. Best place to work....ever!!

Former Employee - EAP Counselor in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - EAP Counselor in Boulder, CO

I worked at University of Colorado (More than a year)

Pros

A rich place to work! Great people, great values!

Cons

I can't think of anything the I would list as a "con". I guess, the salaries could always be improved

Advice to Management

Thanks

6. Great overall experience.

Former Employee - Computer Programmer/Analyst in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Computer Programmer/Analyst in Boulder, CO

I worked at University of Colorado full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, but great benefits. Best retirement plan as an employee of the state of Colorado. Challenging, and yet interesting. Once people start here, they tend to stay for a very long time.

Cons

You tend to stagnate in the same role due to budget constraints, even though you generally will get pay raises every year, except when times are tough, such as during the recession. Sometimes there's crunch time, but generally overtime is not expected.

Advice to Management

Reviews come from the top down. There ought to be a way for employees to review managers as well.

7. Research Assistantship

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Boulder, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado

Pros

Good resources, smart people

Cons

depends on the research group you are in but I saw a good amount of projects that didn't seem to be going anywhere

Advice to Management

I did a PhD here and I wish I had more time and guidance at the beginning in choosing a project

8. Typical state job

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Boulder, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As with other government jobs, this one is relatively stable. As a professor, there are particular expectations that must be met in order to be promoted and receive tenure, but the work itself is meaningful.

Cons

The state of Colorado does not provide cost of living increases, so salaries remain relatively stagnant, even with stellar performance reviews every year.

9. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Student Employee in University of Colorado, CO
    Current Employee - Student Employee in University of Colorado, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work at most of the time.
    -Relaxed
    -Productive
    -Fun
    -Mountains
    -Not too busy

Cons

-Stressful when busy
    -Tough boss]
    -Can be boring
    -Not enough $$
    Hard to think of legitimate complaints.

Advice to Management

-Good job

10. Find some sort of financing other than being a TA if you come here for grad school

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Boulder, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the campus at CU, and teaching is a blast. The undergraduate population isn't the sharpest I've experienced, but every class I taught has always had one or two students who really engage with the material and make teaching a bit easier.

Cons

They don't pay a living wage. Rent in Boulder is around 900 per month for a 400 square-foot single-bedroom unit, and teaching assistants receive, on average, anywhere from 900 to 1,300 dollars per month. You do the math. Sure, your tuition gets remitted, but what does it matter if you have to take out loans to cover living expenses like, say, food? I'm going to leave CU with a doctorate and a mountain of debt to go along with it, thanks to these policies.

Advice to Management

Stop inflating your own salaries and hiring more administrative positions on the backs of graduate students and adjunct faculty.

Dying industry struggles to stay afloat

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at University of Colorado full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Relatively easy to get a temporary, low-paying job for textbook rush at the beginning of each semester. Great campus with many opportunities for the intellectually inclined. Benefits are excellent. Many highly educated colleagues and whip-smart students. Great location and excellent cafeteria in the same building.

Cons

Bookstores in general and academic bookstores specifically suffer under the increase in textbook prices. Students aren't buying as much as they used to, and there are cheaper alternatives like Inter-Library Loan, ebooks, borrowing from other students, etc. Profit margin is slim on textbooks and decreasing all the time. The change in the retail book market isn't going to get better. Ever. Few opportunities for personal growth, promotions, or professional development now (was great about ten years ago). Management has saved ongoing monies over time by firing (or letting retire) many employees and not promoting anyone to take their place(s), just redistributing the work to remaining employees with no increase in pay nor job title/rank. Capitalism, nepotism, and cronyism. Management is heavily imbalanced toward men.

Advice to Management

Work on growing employees professionally and paying them better. The cost of living in Boulder is high and your wages have stagnated.

RSS Feed </> Embed