University of Colorado Denver

www.ucdenver.edu

University of Colorado Denver Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014
University of Colorado Denver – Aurora – “University of Colorado Campus”

University of Colorado Denver Chancellor Don Elliman

Don Elliman

Pros
  • Good benefits, amazing retirement plan, decent stability(in 7 reviews)

• Great benefits at an affordable price(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, some positions are not open to international student(in 2 reviews)

• Poor leadership, highly bureaucratic and very inefficient(in 2 reviews)

IT Department Graduate Assistant

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat Pay and great learning

ConsBosses can be too critical sometimes as they are from military background

Advice to Senior ManagementEffort towards understanding employee work-life balance

CU is a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHealthy workplace, great culture, great place to work. specifically, the AMC

ConsI honestly can't think of any cons.

IT Manager

IT Manager (Current Employee) Aurora, CO

ProsGreat PTO, nice facilities, lower pressure

ConsPoor management, leadership and organizational direction

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on students and customers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

4 years experience as an Administrative Assistant in a healthcare setting.

Client Care AideII (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsJob security is the best "pro" here. Enjoy being considered a state employee and all the benefits that come with that, including paid holidays, sick time and the amount of vacation received.

ConsThe biggest downfall is when the state is in a financial crunch we feel it. It had been many years since a cost of living raise and when we did get one it was almost more insulting than not getting one at all. Didn't mind too much having to pay an extra 2.5% into the retirement fund, but would also like to be able to get that back without having to pay penalties for doing so. Should it really fall on the employees to fix the poor budget planning of the state? I think not!!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop saying there is no room in the budget for raises... When an employee deserves one, give it to them. Morale would rise, and so would production.

Great benefits, wonderful flexible schedule

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits are wonderful. Flex schedules are very helpful if you're going to school part-time while working full-time. Two weeks paid vacation.

ConsManagers sometimes can show favoritism and not be very considerate of employees. This was only in a certain department, however. Not sure about majority of departments on campus. Also in my department training was sometimes spotty and things were changed on you soon after completion.

A good place to work.

Assistant Professor (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsIt's a strong academic environment, but perhaps a bit narrow in approach. The administrative staff are friendly and always helpful.

ConsLeadership is a bit conservative. Very focused on financial aspects of the research. Promotion is via counting of papers and how many dollars brought in via grants. Innovative research that doesn't fit well within this paradigm doesn't get much support. Support equals "how can we help you get grants", rather than "how can we help you do science". They assume the latter follows the former. Not an unusual approach this day and age and not something they hide, but you should be aware.

Great mission, leadership, and colleagues.

Assistant Project Manager (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsTraining in invaluable and working for the children is great.

ConsThere are no cons to working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

A great experience builder.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Aurora, CO

ProsProvides good benefits and fair starting pay. With working here you get experience with a large institution with a well-known reputation that can lead to future opportunities and good networking.

ConsWith working with a partially state funded institution there is lots of red tape to cross before seeing changes occur and bureaucratic headaches to deal with. Departments and divisions can be isolated as to create really great working atmospheres or not the best working atmospheres.

Change will happen at glacial speed.

ProsGreat benefits at an affordable price. Generous vacation and sick time for Professional Exempt employees, but need to work 15 years to acquire similar vacation hours as a State Classified employee.

ConsLousy pay and always covering more than 2 positions worth of work. Forget about promotions and bonuses do not exist in the University system.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe accountable, engaged, and most importantly quit servicing your own interests rather than those of the Department you have been hired to be the Director.

School

Student (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGood school in the heart of downtown

ConsSome professors need to get with the program

Advice to Senior ManagementAudit you classes

Worked for University of Colorado Denver? Contribute to the Community!