University of Colorado Health

CEO

Excellent manager and team

Current Employee - Applications Developer Associate in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Applications Developer Associate in Aurora, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent team and manager, support from CTO, after-hours support is rotated through the team and calls are infrequent, excellent work-life balance, pay is average but benefits (other than PTO) are above average. Having also been a patient I know that it is one of the best hospitals in the metro area and knowing that we are supporting that care is a warm fuzzy.

Cons

PTO policy is pretty bad, no paid holidays, no sick leave, all time off is take out of your PTO accrual which is very low considering all the time you have to post against it.

Take a look at the PTO policy, especially the differences between hourly and salary employees (i.e. salary employees don't get holidays but don't get paid time and a half for working holidays). Keep focusing on process improvement and driving system integration.

Great Unit

Current Employee - Patient Care Assistant in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Patient Care Assistant in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado Health part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The neuro unit is fantastic. The manager is wonderful. The pay is fair and far better than the majority of PCT pay in the area.

Cons

Small hospital that merged with a large company - changing dynamics.

More integration of employee opinion in changing environment.

Interesting! Fun at times, long hours, lots of travel.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

I worked at University of Colorado Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training was great! Some fun co-workers, very hard workers.

Cons

Poor poor choice in supervisor, he couldn't do the job the rest of us could. Have to be a true suck up to stay in the good graces of management. The director shows tons of favoritism and lies a lot. Too much travel for the pay and too boring during down times.

Stop lying to people. People want the truth. Give up some control. Stop hiring the followers, the sheep. They are the bad ones! No room for growth in this position.

Growing Large- Kinda like the population they take care of

Current Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

UCHS provides a stable environment as an employee. The offices, hours, and parking lots are nice. Clinical staff do seem to care about patients. Technical staff seems to be a bit overwhelmed.

Cons

Lack of leadership shows, from the top brass getting their heads cut off, to the miserable employee engagement survey results.

From health care to health is a joke. You want people to get sick, and you want to get paid as much as possible.

Great Environment, focused on patient care and doing the right thing!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado Health as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Leadership, vision and mission. My immediate leadership was very open and engaging and maintained focus on the overarching vision and mission to provide the very best in patient experience and care.

Cons

Large organization with rapid growth creating some inflexible requirements and guidelines

Keep a small, nimble, dynamic organization attitude and approach as you continue to grow.

Poudre Valley Hospital Lab drives fear and intimidation into the work place.

Former Employee - Lab Courier in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Lab Courier in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at University of Colorado Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Clean environment and good people below the manager level.

Cons

"Big Brother" atmosphere. Communications are terrible and minimizing costs is the primary focus. No effort is made to involve workers in decisions that directly impact them.

At least make an effort to involve employees in decisions that might impact them. There's a perception that there is an inner circle of a favored few. If you;re in that, great. If you're not, you're fair game for job elimination.

RN

Current Employee - RN in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - RN in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They provide tuition reimbursement for continuing your education.

Cons

Management seems to be more interested in saving and making money, which does not get passed down to employees, than making sure patient safety is the top priority. They make budget cuts in all the wrong places and leave employees to be overworked, and to work in unsafe situations.

6-7 patients on the busiest and heaviest floors is not a safe workload for a nurse. 20+ patients for one CNA is not a safe load.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Health and retirement benefits are great

Cons

Mediocre management and slow advancement

Going downhill fast

Current Employee - RN II in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - RN II in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Still some genuine caring staff that haven't given up and work together as a team. I like my direct supervisor.

Cons

People are leaving in droves because of the day to day stress of continual change and increases in nurse to patient ratios. The lack of caring exhibited when 5 hospitals merged into one huge company is astounding. They are dismantling their best hospitals piece meal. Pay is uneven across the company for equal jobs. After 10 years I'm finally considering leaving myself.

Back off on some of these changes before there is a sentinel event. Hospitals full of new nurses and clinical staff, overworked and understaffed, are sure to cause harm to our patients. I'd be surprised if there haven't been some already. Nurses want to feel good about the care they are giving. Equalize pay and shift differentials between the hospitals. Do you think we don't communicate with each other?

Taking health care to it's lowest common denominator

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

the few remaining employees who still try to give great patient care despite the avalanche of garbage they're trying to withstand, co-workers seem for the most part to support each other

Cons

every day something else happens, feeling like you're walking into a minefield every day you go to work, has decimated the morale of the workforce, employees feel like management does not care about them at all, more demands on fewer staff while the number of CEOs seems to multiply.

If you can't figure out what you're doing without running to consultants, can't communicate with staff because you don't know what you're doing, can't staff units to provide quality patient care, then get out of the health care business.