University of Colorado Health Reviews

2.5
CEO

1. Great place to work

I have been working at University of Colorado Health

Pros

Good benefits and good co workers

Cons

Low pay and out of touch management

2. Time to clean out the cobwebs!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Loveland, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado Health

Pros

not too many pros, mostly just another hospital. They don't pay much attention to workers as people. Mostly feel overworked and expendable.

Cons

no communication from top down, they change things all the time and speak business jargon, management keeps getting more busywork and less time to see what's happening in their areas.

if you've been here since before the takeover by University, get out. We need new blood, especially in the top ranks. You don't know what you're doing and are too scared to change.

Great opportunities, but poor management

I have been working at University of Colorado Health

Pros

Teaching hospital, lots of research, lots of variety in patients with high acuity, many learning opportunities. Pay is competitive.

Cons

Management taking away weekend and night bonuses, understaffing.

Focus more on retention rather than recruiting.

5. Just like corporate America, they run mean and lean--

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Aurora, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good graduate nurse program. You get 3-6 months of orientation basically for free and an easy commitment for a couple of years. Then you have your experience and can move around.. And work elsewhere.

Cons

Timid middle management--our manager wants us to "giggle" more. Was hoping there might be a better answer for short-staffing, high acuities, negative morale and high stress. Since there is no longer a nursing shortage there is little incentive to retain nurses who have identified issues and want to find solutions..they too easily get labeled as "problems". Was hoping a teaching hospital would have less of a corporate feel--bottom line is almighty dollar.

Do not hire people in middle management and up unless they have degrees from reputable universities..leave positions open until you find the right fit. Upper management: please find an office in the hospital, not in a separate building. Seriously!

Just Another Health System! (JAHS)

Current Employee - Director in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Director in Aurora, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits match the industry, fairly strong financial position. I still think the system has great potential, but will be unrealized unless changes are made.

Cons

Prior to the partnership the culture was built on a true desire to provide excellent care - both from a quality and patient satisfaction perspective. This was done through making sure to hire and retain great people (and moving others on who didn't fit the vision). One of our partners did this better than we did, but we did not learn from them (PVHS). That has significantly changed and we have become just another health system. Probably still OK to get care, but not a place to advance careers in a way that capitalizes on the potential of our industry. Recent leadership hires have not gone well, and are seen as a joke within the system.

I would say focus on your patients and your people - however, I hear those words coming from some of our senior leadership, while their actions contradict their statements - you are quickly losing trust of the staff, if you haven't already.

Has potential not yet realized

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado Health

Pros

Very well funded with good money management. Some good leaders coming in. Retirement programs are pretty exceptional. Health insurance through Anthem is mediocre but relatively cheap.

Cons

Fails to invest in human capital. I am actually planning to leave very soon.
    Poor accountability - bad employees are allowed to stay despite the fact that there are mounds of evidence to support termination. This results in more work for those who are competent.
    When an opening that could have been a promotion was available hiring manager demonstrated that he was planning to go "outside" to fill the job. When I pointed out my credentials his response was, "oh you should feel free to apply if you want to." Not a strong endorsement - so why bother.

Clear out the "old Memorial" before they finish ruining all of the positive that could be had.

Good balance of work and family

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Aurora, CO

I worked at University of Colorado Health

Pros

Respect for employees and interesting work in a thoughtful atmospher

Cons

Compensation not always competitve with private sectory

Incompetent leadership with no value of frontline personnel

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at University of Colorado Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Appropriate pay and cohesive work unit, supportive of one another

Cons

Leadership is self-absorbed in protecting their positions and are threatened by discussions involving what is best for patient care. They have lost the ability to value the individuals that make operations possible: frontline personnel that continue to show up day after day, faithfully serving.

Practice what you preach. You pay lip service to being transparent in your practices, but your actions speak otherwise. Get back to the basics, and begin to show appreciation of those that make your jobs possible: frontline personnel doing the hard work.

Bean counters reign

Former Employee - Supervisor in Univ of Northern Colorado, CO
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Univ of Northern Colorado, CO

I worked at University of Colorado Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Caring individuals at the bedside...providing direct care...still have a chance if they start engaging and listening to those who have been in health care more than 10 years.

Cons

Leadership significantly negatively altered culture due to their classic error in trying to reduce the budget by slashing labor cost blindly. History constantly repeats itself because young hot shot executive leadership think they know better than those who have weathered the ups and downs of multiple economic turns. They bring in young inexperienced staff and leaders who are arrogant and lack real life experience to make decisons....reinventing the same broken wheels of Healthcare instead of listening to and respecting the wisdom and knowledge of those who went before them. The evidence that would lead to success is there...egos of the current leadership is blocking the opportunity to break out of the cycle of failure.

Move past your young inflated egos that make you think health care is all about balancing a budget, that can be placed on a spreadsheet, and guided by bean counters with no direct professional hands on care experience. You need to realize that those who understand that medicine is an art and a science should be your mentors and a large part of your leadership at all levels... your business models, smooth talking bean counters and numbers will lead to failure until you accept Healthcare is not a manufactured product and business models for products will never fit....learn from the past.

Not a very positive place

Pros

Salary and benefits are inline with other health systems. I appreciate our training and I also really like the few senior leaders who are trying to make this place better and who care about our patients.

Cons

Poor senior level leadership. New CEO is causing more harm than good. The CFO and his department are seen as the "bad guys" and not respected at all by nursing and others. Local, hospital leadership is not much better. There are bright spots, but those people are leaving to work for other companies who provide higher levels of care and who just get what it takes to be a successful system.