University of Colorado

Be The First To
Add Photos

University of Colorado President Bruce D. Benson

Bruce D. Benson

Pros
  • Hospital has Good benefits, clinically challenging and team work (in 6 reviews)

• Great work-life balance living in Boulder (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • To get stuff done, there would sometimes be needless red tape, something that would not be there in smaller companies (in 3 reviews)

• As any grad program, the balance between work and pay is pretty brutal (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Simple job but management made it stressful

Barista/Sales Assistant I (Former Employee) Aurora, CO

ProsState employed, medical and dental insurance, paid sick/holidays/vacation time

ConsNo raises, no room for advancement, no recognition

Advice to Senior Managementlearn morale

Do not work here

ProsGood benefits and flexible work schedules for everyone except staff.

ConsHorrible management and pay rates. Management has no respect for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that there is a problem and you have a very high turn over rate. Change.

A great place to live, but a difficult place to work.

Assistant Professor (Current Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsLocation, location, location. There are few places on Earth where you can work at a Research 1 university, live in the mountains, commute by public transportation, and ski powder for at least 6 months a year. The University itself is informal and everyone here understands the importance of having time out of the office. The campus is also pleasing to the eye and well-maintained. The grants office is very effective.

ConsSalaries are extremely low compared to peer (and lesser) institutions. The state offers virtually no support for higher education. The quality of students is poor. We are severely understaffed, and receive little administrative support. We are strapped for space, and much of the workspaces are in poor condition. Simple tasks, because they are unsupported, become big problems. And new internal and state rules make performing my job very difficult at times. There is a level of disinterest in supporting the tasks I have been hired to do that is breathtaking.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnable your workers, remove ridiculous hurdles and roadblocks. Support research and teaching with adequate staffing and resources. Make salaries competitive. Raise the bar for students and admission.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

University of Colorado Health Sciences Center still strugles to be inclusive of minorities.

Grants and Contracts Administrator (Former Employee) Aurora, CO

ProsStable employment, growing Biomedical research industry. That is if you are white or female.

ConsSystemic racism and cronyism still prevalent.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some integrity and character and show true leadership ability to make the tough decisions. Make positive change instead of the status quo that has been prevalent for decades, i. e., racism and cronyism.

Depends on both your department and your supervisor

Postdoctoral (Current Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsGood benefits. Beautiful campus, beautiful city.

ConsPay is academic (i.e., low). But you're very much at the mercy of your department and your supervisor. In some departments, the garbage is not routinely taken out and the bathroom's are a mess and the support staff are either completely over-extended or dysfunctional. In others, things run like clockwork. Also, some of the faculty are great to work for. They have your back, they assist you with career development and networking. Others are all about number one and it shows.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt least pretend you care about the people working under you. Also, in the upper echelons, please don't freeze hiring and raises, give yourselves a pay raise, and then send out defensive e-mails about how it's really a shared sacrifice because your raise is smaller than you would like it to be. It's just tacky.

Lots of egos and lots of politics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsFellow staff were friendly and nice. Hours were good, and the vacation time was ample for professional staff.

ConsI preface this by saying I had never worked for a university before. I worked for the Law School as professional staff. I found there to be a huge divide between faculty and staff, with the ego of several faculty bordering on arrogance. They treated most staff like they didn't have a brain. Also, it became apparent that competency wasn't the most important thing, but loyalty to the Dean was. There are several people that are clearly in way over their head, but what mattered most was they played the game right, and their loyalty could be counted on, not that they knew how to do their job.

There was little in the way of camaraderie or working together, most people just retreat to their cubicles or office space and buy themselves in the computer. Most departments are very competitive trying to make themselves look good at the expense of someone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need better leadership at the top, and need to put people into key positions who actually know how to do their jobs, rather than just suck up to top management.

Department Manager

ProsNice Colleagues, good weather, close to downtown.

ConsLack of funding, lack of interest in technology

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Eye opening; not always in a positive way.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsExposure to working with both a large public sector employer and a large and variable customer base; Learned how to navigate politics in a large institution; ability to work with business and acedemia;

ConsLarge budget cuts at the state level resulted in more work to do with less people -projects may not always get finished; Sr. management didn't always share changes or information that staff may have felt was critical; politics resulted in challenging working conditions;; management didn't know how to foster a cohesive working environment

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to receive staff level input on in ideas and execution since they are the ones on the front line. Build trust by being honest about sharing information that can be shared vs. information that you can't share immediately.

Department chaos

ProsThe student population is smart, energetic and very willing to engage in difficult tasks and discussions. The actual place of work, the town, is a wonderful place to live for the most part. A bit expensive, and not really as liberal as people outside believe.

ConsVery poor management for the past few years. A few faculty holding the entire student population hostage with petty egos and even pettier ideas about other faculty.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage more directly. Attend classes to see how the teaching faculty are doing. Be fair to all faculty, not just those in tenured positions.

Typical RA job but management lacks view of the big picture.

Resident Advisor (Former Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsBenefits were nice: lived in dorm and ate at dining halls for free. Was able to make my own decisions on disciplining my floor and community building.

ConsUpper management is secretive and gave very short notice of new/impromptu policies. I was on the job ALL the time, even when I was sleeping I would have to deal with issues if they cam up but that is the nature of the RA job. Off-campus life was also censored and work-life balance was non-existent because you had to make your work your life. They used to say, "It's not a job, it's a lifestyle."

Advice to Senior ManagementPut yourself in the RA's shoes and think about everything that you expect of them. Understand that not all RAs are alike and that you can't mold everyone into your ideal RA. From my experience the management desired robots, not real people.

Worked for University of Colorado? Contribute to the Community!