University of Colorado

www.cu.edu
Profile Unclaimed

Find some sort of financing other than being a TA if you come here for grad school

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Boulder, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love the campus at CU, and teaching is a blast. The undergraduate population isn't the sharpest I've experienced, but every class I taught has always had one or two students who really engage with the material and make teaching a bit easier.

Cons

They don't pay a living wage. Rent in Boulder is around 900 per month for a 400 square-foot single-bedroom unit, and teaching assistants receive, on average, anywhere from 900 to 1,300 dollars per month. You do the math. Sure, your tuition gets remitted, but what does it matter if you have to take out loans to cover living expenses like, say, food? I'm going to leave CU with a doctorate and a mountain of debt to go along with it, thanks to these policies.

Stop inflating your own salaries and hiring more administrative positions on the backs of graduate students and adjunct faculty.

Great

I have been working at University of Colorado

Pros

I'm compassionate and I enjoy taking care of others.

Cons

I don't have any con's with this company

I'm glad to be able to work for this company

Student Hourly

Current Employee - Grader in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Grader in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado part-time (less than a year)

Pros

For the most part, it is what I expected it to be, but this completely depends on the department you're working for. It helps pay the bills!

Cons

There have been a few training requirements that I wasn't made aware of before I accepted the job.

One of the best career chapters in my life

Former Employee - Human Resources (Program) in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Human Resources (Program) in Boulder, CO

I worked at University of Colorado full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Professionalism, Mutual Respect, Positive Learning atmosphere, leadership in Human Resources is positive

Cons

Some of the employees are struggling financially and need a higher wage to support their family.

I think the counseling services could be helpful to staff and faculty - through individual counseling, family counseling, and particularly departmental in-service workshops. Otherwise, good job!

Dying industry struggles to stay afloat

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at University of Colorado full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Relatively easy to get a temporary, low-paying job for textbook rush at the beginning of each semester. Great campus with many opportunities for the intellectually inclined. Benefits are excellent. Many highly educated colleagues and whip-smart students. Great location and excellent cafeteria in the same building.

Cons

Bookstores in general and academic bookstores specifically suffer under the increase in textbook prices. Students aren't buying as much as they used to, and there are cheaper alternatives like Inter-Library Loan, ebooks, borrowing from other students, etc. Profit margin is slim on textbooks and decreasing all the time. The change in the retail book market isn't going to get better. Ever. Few opportunities for personal growth, promotions, or professional development now (was great about ten years ago). Management has saved ongoing monies over time by firing (or letting retire) many employees and not promoting anyone to take their place(s), just redistributing the work to remaining employees with no increase in pay nor job title/rank. Capitalism, nepotism, and cronyism. Management is heavily imbalanced toward men.

Work on growing employees professionally and paying them better. The cost of living in Boulder is high and your wages have stagnated.

Will Never Live Up to Potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado full-time

Pros

The mission and vision are something to be very proud of.

Cons

No communication or organization structure. Lack of respect and value for employees.

Leadership and organizational flow needs to be developed. Improve communication and show that you value your employees hard work and commitment.

I would not suggest working at UCCS.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with students is a great experience. They love to learn and are eager to assist with daily tasks.

Cons

Although it is great that the campus is growing, the staff is not. Upper management piles on more and more work to the same amount of staff and expects excellent results from an extremely overworked and extremely underpaid staff.

Management needs to start caring about the staff that works at the University. You need to keep people to run a growing University.

Excellent University

I have been working at University of Colorado

Pros

I enjoyed the people that I worked with. My supervisor was excellent.

Cons

I was a little limited in what I was able to perform since it was a work-study position

building automation, Energy saving program, Using the most advanced energy analysis software and seimens building autom

Current Employee - BAS in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - BAS in Denver, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado full-time (less than a year)

Pros

the job and the workers are very friendly, the profit margin is growing. for full time employees the befits are great, long years experienced peoples worked at the place.

Cons

the position ladder is very long. not able created positions for engineering department, Budgeting questions not get answer for a long periods

managements open door policies are great to talk any time with scheduled meeting.

I worked at University of Colorado

Pros

first rate to work for

Cons

first rate to work for