University of Colorado Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
98 reviews filtered by

1. Excellent University

I have been working at University of Colorado

Pros

I enjoyed the people that I worked with. My supervisor was excellent.

Cons

I was a little limited in what I was able to perform since it was a work-study position

building automation, Energy saving program, Using the most advanced energy analysis software and seimens building autom

Current Employee - BAS in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - BAS in Denver, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado full-time (less than a year)

Pros

the job and the workers are very friendly, the profit margin is growing. for full time employees the befits are great, long years experienced peoples worked at the place.

Cons

the position ladder is very long. not able created positions for engineering department, Budgeting questions not get answer for a long periods

managements open door policies are great to talk any time with scheduled meeting.

3. first rate to work for

I worked at University of Colorado

Pros

first rate to work for

Cons

first rate to work for

5. Awesome! RC1

Former Employee - Animal Care Tech in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Animal Care Tech in Aurora, CO

I worked at University of Colorado full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great co workers, great staff morale, great PI's and researchers. time off policies, flexible work hours. I loved learning more and more about medical testing, behavior testing and all the fantastic things that these people do. I loved how the care techs and vet techs cared more about the health and safety of all of the animals more then the peoples research. If a mouse was super sick or something we did everything possible to help the mouse or whatever animal.

Cons

It was hard to euthanize mice.

Keep up the Awesome work Michelle!

6. Good place to work, nice location, great benefits.

I have been working at University of Colorado full-time

Pros

Great work-life balance living in Boulder.

Cons

Not much chance for upward mobility within the organization. Workforce has fewer young people than expected working at a University.

7. It has been a good experience

Current Employee - Operations in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Operations in Denver, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado full-time (more than a year)

Pros

decent pay, benefits and opportunities for furthering education and employment. I get to work with people trying to help others improve their lives. We are always looking for ways to help the dept. run smoothly for all concerned with the least amount of trial and error as possible. I'm given a good amount of personal time & vacation time to balance work and leisure in my life to remain fit. I have been active in the employee healthcare site about managing my health. It has been very helpful about diet and exercise, which also effects my psychological and spiritual outlook on life.

Cons

I don't want to mention, I don't always like the people involved in my work. It does challenge me to find ways to look for the good in others which I believe does help me. So I am grateful for those people who do challenge me and my serenity.

8. If you don't have an MA or MS when you accept your position, don't expect to move up.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at University of Colorado full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are good, but the training is lacking. You can find lots of opportunities to attend talks and other sessions, which are incredibly interesting. Working with students is great and keeps you young!

Cons

Difficult to break through the glass ceiling for pay and promotions if you are viewed as administrative.

Realize that there is an entrenched hierarchy that is indicative of higher ed and ask your employees how it affects them.

9. Great for learning

I worked at University of Colorado

Pros

Learned how to use many research equipment and the research process

Cons

very dull and boring at times

10. Loved the environment and the people, administration can be a bit, well, bureaucratic.

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Boulder, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Of course, it is a great place to be. Wonderful location. Generally -- depending largely on the department you are in -- the people are enthusiastic and caring. And, there are terrific opportunities to work on innovative projects and be innovative yourself. Great place for an undergraduate to get a jump start on their career. Also, look for mid-career opportunities in interesting, unusual roles.

Cons

As with every employer, there are politics to be played. These vary wildly by department, group and even professor/mentor. Research your prospective department and especially your mentor very careful. Ask questions: make sure your mentor is a service leader, interested in helping you succeed as well as seeing their own projects succeed. Many are like this... many are not.

Also, be wary of the administration. If you think they have made an error in contracts, etc., pound on doors until it is resolved. It will come back to haunt you -- even years later -- if you don't fix it now.

Make sure that the professors and other mentors are getting the training they need to be good mentors. Some are outstanding in the role by nature -- others (too many in the sciences and engineering) -- have no skills at all in this regard and need help building those skills. Without those good mentors, students aren't excelling and representing the school as well as they could when they hit the workforce.

11. Good place to work in grad school

I have been working at University of Colorado

Pros

flexible assignments, tried to accommodate requests

Cons

exam weeks did not allow much time for my own work