University of Colorado Reviews

Updated August 14, 2014

3.8

University of Colorado President Bruce D. Benson
Bruce D. Benson

Pros
  • Hospital has Good benefits, clinically challenging and team work (in 6 reviews)

• Great work-life balance living in Boulder (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • To get stuff done, there would sometimes be needless red tape, something that would not be there in smaller companies (in 3 reviews)

• As any grad program, the balance between work and pay is pretty brutal (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Good upward mobility and connections, tedious office work.

Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator

I worked at University of Colorado full-time for more than a year

Pros

Connected to massive resources and connections, especially in research.

Cons

Can sometimes feel like a glass ceiling in regards to job mobility--when changing jobs there is a ton of bureacracy

Setting real deadlines and supporting individual interests goes a long way in job satisfaction (vs micromanagement). My manager was great about making everyone feel like they're part of the team.

Fun, flexible for students

Current Employee - Student Assistant  in  Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Boulder, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado part-time for more than a year

Pros

They work around your schedule and give you good experience with speaking to vendors and other contributors to the university.

Cons

Sometimes they don't have enough tasks for all of the student employees so you go to work and there is not anything to do.

Great place to work. Recommend!

Former Employee - Professional Research Assistant  in  Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Professional Research Assistant in Boulder, CO

I worked at University of Colorado full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

awesome benefits. great culture. gorgeous campus

Cons

in my job the workload was out of hand.

don't bite off more than you can chew.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Learning and Being Professional

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Boulder, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice Graduate School Program to Study such as Physics, Chemistry;Friendly People around as Neighbors; Quite and Safe Environment for Hiking.

Cons

No Fancy Chinese Food such as Dumplings, Hotpot;Not Much International Activities to Make Friends with; Not Much Girls' Festivals, such as Dancing Classes.

More Festivals for Internationals to Get Involved in and Learn More about US and Boulder History and Culture.

Educational community feeling, quiet, safe and clean with good benefits

I worked at University of Colorado part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good environment, one class paid for by the system every semester, knowledge enrichment opportunities and good benefits.

Cons

Too many politics, hard to get in, easier to move around once in but otherwise their hiring policies are a little crooked. They tend to build the job descriptions around people they want in the position so outsiders never get the chance to be hired, it's all rigged.

Clean house once in a while to get new talent, hire more honestly, more care about the existing employees and a little less politics.

Lots of egos and lots of politics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at University of Colorado full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fellow staff were friendly and nice. Hours were good, and the vacation time was ample for professional staff.

Cons

I preface this by saying I had never worked for a university before. I worked for the Law School as professional staff. I found there to be a huge divide between faculty and staff, with the ego of several faculty bordering on arrogance. They treated most staff like they didn't have a brain. Also, it became apparent that competency wasn't the most important thing, but loyalty to the Dean was. There are several people that are clearly in way over their head, but what mattered most was they played the game right, and their loyalty could be counted on, not that they knew how to do their job.

There was little in the way of camaraderie or working together, most people just retreat to their cubicles or office space and buy themselves in the computer. Most departments are very competitive trying to make themselves look good at the expense of someone else.

They need better leadership at the top, and need to put people into key positions who actually know how to do their jobs, rather than just suck up to top management.

great

I have been working at University of Colorado

Pros

Work whenever I want, interesting work.

Cons

Pay isn't as great as industry

Simple job but management made it stressful

Former Employee - Barista/Sales Assistant I  in  Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Barista/Sales Assistant I in Aurora, CO

I worked at University of Colorado full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

State employed, medical and dental insurance, paid sick/holidays/vacation time

Cons

No raises, no room for advancement, no recognition

learn morale

The good, the bad, and the ugly

Current Employee - Professional Exempt Staff  in  Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Professional Exempt Staff in Boulder, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In my position, there are a few great things:
    Flexibility in work hours/ work location (good directors have probably allowed for this)
    Great connection with coworkers- longstanding relationships and friendships
    Coworkers really support one another - there is a good team sense and support system within office (this is what keeps me at CU)
    Most prof exempt coworkers work hard - pull their weight
    Make lots of 'friends' within department due to nature of longevity for employees
    Have a lot of good clients, although some faculty need to let go of their egos
    Good vacation/sick leave/etc.
    Casual environment

Cons

Very undervalued, supported and appreciated by higher management (if didn't have office support- wouldn't be a great place to be as the office makes up for this) -leadership's favorite word is "no"

Horrible pay - NO pay raises (even with consistent stellar reviews which allow for highest pay raise percentage - this is for professional exempt positions- don't know about faculty positions

No opportunity for growth in current office - no where to move up to as we are not an academic dept

State employees- don't work, but can't fire them, just have to wait until they retire
    Dept is too tied to the state system - need to separate from the state more

Benefits have gone downhill and gotten more expensive over the last 10 years - have lost some benefits as the State has declared them "perks"

Extremely bureaucratic, which makes doing your job well very frustrating - even when you have 'learned how to navigate the system'

No buy-in for services rendered to the public as university system is too large and fragmented with each area having its own vested interests and direction

Academic people 'running' a business - (which has proven itself to not be a good idea) -

Quit having tunnel vision only for the 'numbers' and start working on raising morale within the department. Figure out how to provide better pay raises. Start supporting the 'beams' that are holding you up by appreciating your staff and listening to them. Practicing saying 'yes' - and making your actions more succinctly line up with your words.

It's a pretty good place to work.

Current Employee - Academic Support Professional  in  Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Academic Support Professional in Aurora, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of room for growth within the intstitution. There are many opportunities to learn.

Cons

Sometimes individuals who have been here for a while tend to always let you know that they have more knowledge than you.

You are managing professionals, most with degrees. Please do not treat them like children.

Worked for University of Colorado? Contribute to the Community!