University of Colorado

Updated December 19, 2014
3.8

University of Colorado President Bruce D. Benson
Bruce D. Benson

Pros
  • Hospital has Good benefits, clinically challenging and team work (in 6 reviews)

• Great work-life balance living in Boulder (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • To get stuff done, there would sometimes be needless red tape, something that would not be there in smaller companies (in 3 reviews)

• Decisions by upper management are not always well thought out with respect to unintended consequences (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Graduate studies in the Molecular Biology program. Overwhelmingly positive, but that largely depends on the lab you join

Current Employee - Doctoral Research Assistant in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Doctoral Research Assistant in Aurora, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This campus is growing, with great clinical collaborations available. I loved the open floor plan of the research buildings, and had strong program support.

Cons

Your experience can be very negative if you join a lab with a mentor that is not available often. Your experience also differs depending on the program you join. Aurora isn't the best area, and you're many hours from skiing.

I wish the university provided better support for career paths during your early graduate career. Sensitivity training and training on how to manage different student personalities and learning styles would be helpful for the principal investigators running student-based labs.

CU is a fairly neutral place to work

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Aurora, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Medical and dental benefits are decent here. My experience has been in the research labs where some areas receive good support, some areas do not.

Cons

For some of the academic positions, there is no reasonable way to contribute to a retirement plan and have the University match that at any level. This is not true at all universities so it is worth considering.

It would be useful if management generally had more contact with the individuals who work for them. We are interested and interesting people who want to contribute and help to create value in our research and studies.

It was a creative position within a very structured environment and guided by institutional guidlines.

Former Employee - Communications Professional in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Communications Professional in Denver, CO

I worked at University of Colorado full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Being able to contribute more modern, updated, valuable and creative changes in the messaging and branding throughout multiple channels.

Cons

The "company" was very slow to adapt and apply new changes/ideas - very bureaucratic.

Digital screens within office showing the real time flow of the statistics and analytics of "client" interaction and projects in process, as well as victories and completed projects.

Good work culture and environment

Former Employee - Assistant in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant in Boulder, CO

I worked at University of Colorado part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility of schedule
    Good work environment
    Benefits included
    Near rec areas

Cons

The weather. If you don't like living in extremes, don't come on here.

Great job despite bureaucracy

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I worked at University of Colorado part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at CU-Boulder, there were great benefits, good contributions to retirement funds, friendly coworkers, world class campus.

Cons

The biggest problem was the bureaucracy of work. To get stuff done, there would sometimes be needless red tape, something that would not be there in smaller companies.

Streamline redtape

Great University

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Boulder, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado part-time (less than an year)

Pros

A beautiful place to work. the geology is really incredible around this area too. The management are very helpful when you need to complete the necessary but menial requirements.

Cons

In general there aren't many cons to report. There were a few times where I couldn't get my field equipment because the roads were closed due to the football games.

It has been a good challenge and very fulfilling

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Aurora, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits and location are very good. If you want the opportunity to advance your career and work in a fast paced and growing company this is a good place for you.

Cons

You must work hard, which can be a con to some people but if you want to feel that you have accomplished something at the end of the day then this is a good place.

I work at the hospital of CU so I would say keep listening to the patient, which they are good at.

Great experience, flexible work hours

I have been working at University of Colorado full-time

Pros

Endless learning experiences, similar to a small startup company where you where many hats. Can usually come and go as you please if your PI is flexible. Benefits are astoundingly good.

Cons

Pay is not great. Although there are great benefits, the raises are usually around 3% every year. Rare to get bonuses.

Good upward mobility and connections, tedious office work.

Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator

I worked at University of Colorado full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Connected to massive resources and connections, especially in research.

Cons

Can sometimes feel like a glass ceiling in regards to job mobility--when changing jobs there is a ton of bureacracy

Setting real deadlines and supporting individual interests goes a long way in job satisfaction (vs micromanagement). My manager was great about making everyone feel like they're part of the team.

Fun, flexible for students

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Boulder, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They work around your schedule and give you good experience with speaking to vendors and other contributors to the university.

Cons

Sometimes they don't have enough tasks for all of the student employees so you go to work and there is not anything to do.