University of Colorado at Boulder

Updated Apr 18, 2014

University of Colorado at Boulder President Bruce D. Benson

Bruce D. Benson

82 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall, CU has given me a great opportunity with a flexible schedule.

Lab Assistant (Current Employee)
Boulder, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado at Boulder part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat schedule and great opportunities.

ConsSalary is low to start, and management can seem uncaring.

Can't imagine NOT doing this work!

Career Counselor (Current Employee)
Boulder, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado at Boulder full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI love my job - I have a lot of variety and work with great people. I have the opportunity to serve on a variety of committees and develop my leadership and interpersonal skills on a daily basis. My favorite part of my job is working with motivated students who want to excel in their career development.

ConsThere aren't a ton of opportunities to advance within each department. It can also be challenging to maintain work-life balance during the busier times of the semester.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

I am a graduate student, and it is what you would expect.

Boulder, CO

I have been working at University of Colorado at Boulder full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat campus, good computer support, world university, opportunities abound around the campus. I really like being up to date on my skills.

ConsSome buildings are run down. Most professors are workaholics. Students are paid...well student salary. There are politics. Dirty hallways. There is a need for updated information the classrooms.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate things. Listen to students. Be open to change. Need to have more collaboration between departments.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Secure but hard to get into

Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee)
Boulder, CO

ProsBenefits for classified staff: strict 40-hour work weeks, tuition credits (9 cr per year), PTO, Sick Days, AND paid holidays. It's a big campus so there's less interaction with other employees; staff council hosts lunches or breakfasts once a semester to increase interaction.

ConsClassified positions do not have the flexibility of working from home, even when times are slow. Snow days are not granted very often, even when roads are terrible. It's hard to transfer to other campuses or move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider offering work from home or making certain positions exempt, not classified. Promote training and added responsibilities to assist in career development.

Lots of variety within the University. Experience depends on who you work with/for.

Boulder, CO

ProsBeautiful location. Nice campus. Lots of great things available to you: gym, hospital, career services, etc. Access to lots of prestigious researchers.

ConsDisorganized and bureaucratic. Graduate Student Stipend is very low considering cost of living in Boulder.

Pretty nice place to be a graduate student

Boulder, CO

ProsOur department doesn't have the newest facilities, but they care about their graduate students and I have enjoyed my time here so far. I feel that I will be well prepared when I look for a job. Boulder is a beautiful place to live and work. There are many opportunities to get outdoors when you need a break.

ConsThe basic on-campus healthcare facilities were fine, but the lack of further coverage has left me disappointed (e.g., one eye exam a year and no coverage of glasses/contacts, no dental coverage). I don't know how this healthcare coverage compares to other universities. Cost of living—particularly rent—seems like it is rising quickly in Boulder relative to our graduate stipends.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend less money on your football team and more money on your students.

I worked at the Office of Orientation at the University of Colorado at Boulder

Orientation Leader (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Colorado at Boulder full-time for less than a year

ProsI really enjoyed the people I got to work with. Despite the long hours, the days go by pretty quickly. You also get paid to eat at the C4C dining hall at CU which is especially good during the summer because they're trying to impress the parents eating there.

ConsLong hours. You will often work the full 6am-6pm shift, and often you are left just sitting around waiting for an event to end or for someone to tell you what to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a better way to allocate our time, or coordinate schedules better so we aren't left with hours of doing nothing.

Great as a TA

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee)
Boulder, CO

ProsStudents here are very smart and motivated

ConsNot on top of my head

Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering

Chemical Engineering PhD Candidate (Current Employee)
Boulder, CO

Pros-High quality research
-Engaged and available faculty
-Excellent administrative staff

Cons-Convoluted procurement system
-Needs better management of user facilities
-Needs more open collaboration between labs within the department (e.g. equipment sharing)

University of Colorado was a great experience

Door (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Colorado at Boulder part-time for more than a year

ProsUniversity of Colorado was a great experience, good looking girls, and always something to do

ConsGot a bad rep for the marijuana laws as well as the coldweather

Advice to Senior ManagementGood

Worked for University of Colorado at Boulder? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Colorado at Boulder reviews and ratings in Colorado — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Colorado at Boulder CEO Bruce D. Benson. All 82 reviews posted anonymously by University of Colorado at Boulder employees.