University of Connecticut Health Center

Susan Herbst

1. Research Assistant

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Farmington, CT
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Farmington, CT

I worked at University of Connecticut Health Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and time schedule

Cons

Pay scale is not so great

Advice to Management

Keep going

Union Heavy=unfair environment

Former Employee - Administrative in Bristol, CT
    Former Employee - Administrative in Bristol, CT

I worked at University of Connecticut Health Center (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are state benefits and are ridiculously generous but don't wonder why they are "broke". All that costs an insane amount of money.

Cons

Very elitist environment if you work in the schools, clinics, or hospital. Very few docs and administrators will respect staff. Most treat staff like children. Overall they treat everyone like hourly employees. If you are a mid level professional who has current skills, you will be surrounded with people with ancient skills. You will never be rewarded for doing your job well, being conscientious or going above and beyond. Someone who knows less than you and works less than you probably makes so much more than you because the state rewards service and NEVER performance. The union membership is "optional" meaning if you decline membership, you can't vote and you will STILL pay dues. The union president and vp make so much money that it will make you puke given that they don't have much control or influence in anything and in more recent times skill nor the ability to negotiate.

Customer Service Representative

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Farmington, CT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Farmington, CT

I have been working at University of Connecticut Health Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

UCONN is a union shop. Difficult to meet the 90 day probation period but if you do you are in for life.

Cons

Because it is a union shop there are many employees that are there that shouldn't be. Difficult to terminate substandard employees in a union shop.

Advice to Management

Wouldn't help.

5. Positive experience, change afoot.

Current Employee - Research Associate I in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Research Associate I in Hartford, CT

Pros

Diverse workforce with many levels of qualified colleagues.

Cons

Senior departmental structure and cohesive collaboration across departments, unpredictable.

Advice to Management

More job specific skills maintenance/ new skill requirement training can be accommodated in view of cost cutting.

6. I worked at the University of Connecticut Health Center for 1 and a half years post graduation from UConn.

Former Contractor - Research Assistant in Farmington, CT
    Former Contractor - Research Assistant in Farmington, CT

I worked at University of Connecticut Health Center as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Dedicated Staff and Faculty, generally a good atmosphere, Great benefits, flexible work schedule. I personally benefited from a fantastic supervisor/ P.I.

Cons

While Farmington is a great place, getting here at times can be a challenge depending on time of day/ home location

7. Great Atmosphere. Dedicated Management an

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Farmington, CT
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Farmington, CT

I have been working at University of Connecticut Health Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Research and lab facility are great. Most of UCHC Classes can be taken by UConn grad students. In between Boston and NYC

Cons

Distance to main campus. No shuttle but frequent buses to Hartford.

8. Clinical Engineer

Current Employee - Intern in Farmington, CT
    Current Employee - Intern in Farmington, CT

I have been working at University of Connecticut Health Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small department, offers good learning experience for beginners

Cons

Small department, a lot of work to be done, a little unorganized

Advice to Management

Clinical Engineering Manager would help.

9. Very professional, nice atmosphere

Former Employee - Statistician in Farmington, CT
    Former Employee - Statistician in Farmington, CT

I worked at University of Connecticut Health Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Professional, great benefits, nice coworkers, mission of workplace to help others obtain excellent healthcare. Coworkers and managers were always respectful and helpful. great teamwork in department. Onsite cafeteria. Huge facility, felt like its own "mini city". Felt lucky to have worked there.

Cons

Work was repetitive- Would have like more contact with patients and families. Often a long walk from parking to work. Sometimes had to take a shuttle from remote lots.

10. Exciting place to work!

Current Employee - Faculty Member in Farmington, CT
    Current Employee - Faculty Member in Farmington, CT

I have been working at University of Connecticut Health Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

collaborative, interactive, invested group of researchers and clinicians. Great support from the Governor and the state.

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

11. Research Assistant 3

Current Employee - Research Assistant III in Farmington, CT
    Current Employee - Research Assistant III in Farmington, CT

I have been working at University of Connecticut Health Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

State benefits, pension, flexibility, great for research development Large interaction between other labs for questions

Cons

State deficit issues impact our raises, or lack there of Unions Hard to move around and branch out of your area

RSS Feed </> Embed