University of Connecticut

University of Connecticut Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

University of Connecticut President Susan Herbst

Susan Herbst

Pros
  • Good working environment, great pay and benefits(in 8 reviews)

• Good pay, flexible hours, lots of useful training(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Downsized the health insurance for graduate students(in 5 reviews)

• recent change in health insurance plan(in 4 reviews)

Really depends on where you work

Dining Services (Former Employee) Storrs, CT

ProsLots of different options of on-campus jobs for students. It's easy to get a job in a dining hall if you don't need a ton of income, just some spending money.

ConsCan be bureacratic. Most people stay away from one of the area managers. You can leave work feeling absolutely exhausted without feeling appreciated by upper management (really depends on who is managing on that particular day). You definitely can't use a lot of these jobs to pay for college without severely compromising your study time.

Great place!

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) Storrs, CT

ProsGreat research environment. Beautiful campus.

ConsLocation may be not that great. But a new town center is being built.

Very nice work culture, town, people and ambience

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Storrs, CT

ProsReputed university, nice campus, new downtown, close to major cities

Consless parking space, no good resturants

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing the good work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The administration does not value graduate students but a nice place to work if you have a good department

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Storrs, CT

ProsThere are modern buildings with the top departments having great work spaces. The campus itself is beautiful. There is a new Storrs city center that was build right off campus. This increased the number of restaurants and services. It is easy to commute (mostly traffic free and through beautiful woods) from the Hartford area if you have a car.

ConsThere are extremely high student fees taken out of graduate paychecks even when tuition is waved. The health insurance coverage for graduate students is poor. For many places it is cheaper to tell the healthcare provider that you do not have insurance. A graduate student union was just formed though it seems the administration plans on continuing to take advantage of graduate students anyway.

I like UConn

Assistant Professor, Residence (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsFlexible hours. Most people are friendly and professional about their jobs.

Consrelatively low payment, the starting salary is the same with the starting salary 10 years ago

Administrative Assistant - Great

Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Storrs, CT

ProsGained a lot of experience.
    Flexible hours.
    Campus is lovely.
    Understanding of class schedules.

ConsDifficult to move up.
    Pay slightly low depending on work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities for internal movement.

Could be much better; could be much, much worse.

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Storrs, CT

ProsFaculty very accommodating in their support of personal growth in research skills. High-quality research exceptional for state institutions. Ample facilities for nearly any instrumentation or fabrication needs.

ConsCompensation barely clears the high cost of living of Connecticut. Storrs is a unique community, and the lifestyle is best suited to those who enjoy neither urban nor rural living. Bureaucratic lunacy rationalizes employees subsidizing the university deficit whenever possible. Also, Susan Herbst.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay us on time. Stop trying to make budget cuts at the expense of 3,000 broke grad students.

Great place end, poor place to start

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost jobs are union so there is great job security. However bc most jobs are union it's next to impossible to get rid of bad employees or advance in any meaningful way. Beautiful campus, easy commute, cheap parking, good benefits and pretty relaxed summers if you are in a student facing role.

ConsNo room for advancement in union positions, even in academic advising or student affairs roles. No merit pay, multi layered bureaucracy (typical college campus), outdated technology, still heavily paper based processes. University does next to no snow cleanup so walking conditions are dangerous post storm. Terrible excuse for a student/staff gym/workout facility compared to other large public universities.

Treat the office staff well

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStaff is very friendly, treat the office staff well

ConsNot all the faculty speak to the staff on duty

Great Newspaper

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAble to grow within the organization. Everyone knows each other and it's a tight knit community.

ConsNewspapers aren't going to thrive in the future. It takes a lot of work to put together a daily newspaper.

Worked for University of Connecticut? Contribute to the Community!