University of Denver

Be The First To
Add Photos

University of Denver Provost Gregg Kvistad

Gregg Kvistad

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance and its nice to work around educators(in 10 reviews)

• Fun atmosphere, laid back work environment, best supervisor I've ever had(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Not alot of room for advancement(in 3 reviews)

• You must be able to navigate your way through the politics and red-tape of working for a university, this is not always fun or easy, but required(in 3 reviews)

Great experience for young professionals

Administrative Director (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsDU is flexible with scheduling and has amazing benefits- Look into the tuition reimbursement!

ConsThe cons are low pay and not much room for growth across departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on bridging the gap between faculty and staff in a meaningful way.

Time for a Complete Re-haul

ProsEmployee tuition waiver after 6 months of work

ConsNo room for advancement in particular departments. You are expected to complete work utilizing archaic practices (saving all paperwork in folders and file cabinets instead of using scanning and indexing); no raises for the past several years; feeling of being restricted to your office only (no flexibility to engage with other employees in same building without being questioned about whereabouts by supervisor); director does not engage with his/her employees; assist director does nothing to assist employees, but rather, sits in office all day - even when employees may need assistance with students/parents. Lack of professionalism by certain employees in regards to their dress, customer assistance, and depth of knowledge of departmental responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet go management/employees that add no value to the department/university; acknowledge hard-working employees more often than once a year (PEDS review); create growth opportunities and if there is no way of doing so or you just don't care to do so, then let potential interviewees know that there are no opportunities to grow; adapt to 21st century technological advances; encourage proper etiquette, both personally and professionally. Change the management mentality of "as long as I am a director/assoc/asst director everything is just fine" and encourage your employees to better themselves and support them should they choose to move up and out.

Flexible work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWas able to coordinate hours around graduate work. Advantage of close communication with incoming speakers allowed for great networking opportunities.

ConsPay not great. Job can be tedious.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to learn and grow.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSuper flexible, family friendly atmosphere in most departments. Access to great benefits, health and education. I worked in multiple different departments and had positive personal and professional experiences in all.

ConsMaxed out on growth - the people above me weren't going anywhere any time soon, so even after all that support I got to finish my degree (okay, and get another one!), there wasn't a position with the college that I could move in to.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you let your good people grow (which you do), give them somewhere to grow to that is still with the college.

DU Student

ProsBest university choice I could have made.

ConsThere are no cons to the University of Denver.

DU

ProsTuition waiver, health insurance, community.

ConsGlass ceiling. Limited advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess hierarchy more collaboration.

University of Denver

Enrollment Manager Advising (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsA wonderful atmosphere; respectable institution; advancement opportunities within or laterally; gorgeous campus; generous tuition remission policy; good health/dental/vision/life/retirement

Conspay structure, very small merit increases (currently wouldn't keep up with normal inflation); politics between divisions

Advice to Senior ManagementTo keep talent, you need to compensate talent in a manner that is competitive with the market

A university that has great potential to live up to its positive ideals.

ProsDepending on the department you work in, there is a lot of support in terms of diversity, personal and professional development and ensuring that it is a learning as well as working environment. It is usually a very laid back environment, and you get to work with students

ConsThe most definite con of the University of Denver is its decentralized and fragmented nature. There are departments that sometimes do very similar tasks, but never speak to each other. This is not just certain academic departments rarely interacting, which is more expected, but in regards to administration, there does not seem to be a cohesive organization. All this makes it difficult to work across departments, as well as hinders the work of those who haven't been here for years, because it is very much about who you know.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue promoting the values of inclusive excellence and a private university for the public good, which are things that made me proud to both work and receive a graduate degree at the University. However, please address the lack of cohesion between departments.

Great, stable place to work and build career

Database Coordinator (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsFlexible hours, good teammates, a comfortable and relaxed place to work

ConsLack of projects which gave you too much free time sometimes

Operations Manager

Operations Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsFun work environment, great team, fast paced

ConsBusy schedule and hard physical work

Advice to Senior ManagementIt was a leadership experience

Worked for University of Denver? Contribute to the Community!