University of Edinburgh

www.ed.ac.uk

University of Edinburgh Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014
University of Edinburgh – Edinburgh – “My new work Place”

University of Edinburgh – Edinburgh – “My new work Place”

University of Edinburgh Principal Sir Timothy O'Shea

Sir Timothy O'Shea

Hard work

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsYou get to work with very successful researchers and learn from them. High standards are expected and this pushes you on in your career. Staff are confident that they will get something published and this confidence is contagious.

ConsMany things are extremely disorganising and disjointed. The left hand never knows what the right hand is doing. Everything takes longer than it should.

Fantastic academic environment for PhD training

PhD Student (Current Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsThe University of Edinburgh 4 year biomedical PhD studentships (one of which I attended) provide access to an exceptional range of world-class research laboratories spanning many aspects of biomedical science. Edinburgh's research institutes are very well equipped with core facilities, making specialist equipment widely available to researchers. I had a very positive experience here, was provided with excellent mentorship throughout and career opportunities when the time to move on came.

ConsIt should be understood that PhD studentships offer a lousy salary (everywhere).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep 4 year PhD studentships, support higher salaries for PhD students.

It was a really enjoyable experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStaff members are very helpful, good communication, open to suggestions.

ConsNot a lot of opportunities to advance.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice place to work

ProsPeople are nice.
    Salary is above average.
    High quality students and academic staff members.

ConsToo cold in the winter.
    A bit too generous to undergraduate students.

Excellent Uni

ProsNice campus, very organised and many experts around if you are doing research

ConsEdinburgh is quite expensive city

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPositive, stimulating work, and a great city.

ConsNo real cons in my view.

Advice to Senior ManagementProtect what's there and build on it.

A racist institution...Doesn't matter if you have a Ph.D. from the same university and try to get a position here.

Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsReputation including world leaders in scientific research. Free access to pianos in the Music School in Nicolson Square.

ConsRacist attitudes of management, not scientists, that run the academic departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop discriminating against candidates from ethnic minorities especially when they have a Ph.D. from the University of Edinburgh and are equally as well if not more qualified than the staff that are running this institution and interviewing you.

it's a chanllenging job for non-native employees

Prosflexible for most of the time

Consacademic specific to the job

Lonely researching

Postdoctoral (Former Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsAcademic life, beautiful city, nice coworkers, good reputation

ConsPoor organisational administration and strategy, chaotic teaching

Advice to Senior ManagementSort out the structure and administration to enable the academics to provide their teaching and research functions as effectively as possible

A great place to work

Receptionist (Current Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsProviding service to excited young minds as well as to tutors and lecturers is a rewarding job. Plus my coworkers are fun and funny and make the hours pass quickly. Lots of joking along with the work.

ConsAs a foreign student, I could only work 20 hours per week, as per the limits of my visa.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's nice to be somewhere that trusts and encourages its employees to make good decisions.

Worked for University of Edinburgh? Contribute to the Community!