University of Exeter

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

David Harrison

Great expanding institution with a thriving academic community

Project Manager (Current Employee) Exeter, England (UK)

ProsLeading on research on climate change, from the physical to the social aspects of it

ConsLocation is remote within the UK and bad access to international airports and fast trains to London (which are also very vulnerable to flooding, making journeys out of Exeter very long and exhausting)

Lots of freedom for personal development, changing the status quo can be tough

Pros- Lots of perks to working within education sector (discounts etc)
    - Tons of holiday and time in lieu accepted
    - Interesting and varied projects because of working with students
    - Quite informal atmosphere - young organisation with a good social life

Cons- Lack of adhesion to deadlines with clients can be hard, students don't appreciate professionalism
    - Tiny budgets with unrealistic expectations
    - Students are fickle, need to keep up with trends but convincing anyone to change processes is really hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the people you hire to be the experts advise in those areas - you'll benefit hugely.

Great experience working as a full time PhD scholar at University of Exeter

PhD (Current Employee) Exeter, England (UK)

ProsThe research facilities are very good to learn more and more.
    The professors are supportive and make sure that you do your job. There are presentations, literature review and exams in first year of PhD to confirm that students are able to go foward. A very nice, straight forward and clean process.

ConsThe PhD stipends are not that great. Specially the salaries are limited for 3 years only which is definitely not a sufficient time to finish your research work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

GOod

ProsTeachers were knowledgeable and helpful.

ConsNot may opportunitties to network your way.

So far, so good, lots of pressure to innovate and expand the business

ProsReasonable pay, holiday, good location, interesting

ConsParking, lack of communication and teamwork, little interdisciplinarity

A strong Student Union with a fair and flexible work environment for students and ex-students alike.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Exeter, England (UK)

ProsIt is great working at the Exeter University Students' Guild as you get to have a direct impact on the positive experiences that the Guild provides for the 15,000 students studying at the University of Exeter. The Guild is a fun place to work and they are very flexible for building a good balance between your work and your studies / life. There is generally an openness to new ideas and bringing your own edge to a role, even if it's not always possible to accomodate every idea.

ConsMost of the negatives of the work environment at the Students' Guild are common across all Student Unions. Being a relatively flat organisation with many small teams, it is hard to find opportunities for advancement within the Guild itself, as there simply are not many positions to move into. Some areas of the management structure are a little weak and I believe this to be due to the fact that many people are promoted to management positions in order to keep members of staff in the organisation (to provide advancement options), even if they are not yet suited to a management role. However, I believe that Exeter Guild is strong amongst it's peers in many of these regards, which makes it a great place to work if you are looking to work in the Student Union sector.

Working at the university of exeter

ProsGreat area, nice campus, friendly people

ConsThe pay is relatively poor

Advice to Senior Managementbetter incentivisation

Review

Researcher (Current Employee) Exeter, England (UK)

ProsFlexible working environment, good benefits and opportunities to move about within the company.

ConsNot enough "staff only" space, for relaxing/eating lunch etc...

Climate System research - Land surface modelling

Early Stage Researcher (Current Employee) Exeter, England (UK)

ProsLocation, staff, networking, metoffice, flexibility

Consoffice space and parking space

Messy

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Exeter, England (UK)

ProsThe ability to balance personal and work is good.
    The social aspEct is a good thing, enabling you to meet and socialise with similar individuals.

ConsPay is not spectacular.
    Hours can be long.
    Messy describes alot of the way things are run here.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management structure is messy, managers ar competent but somehing falls down somewhere. Casual staff are good but are managed inefficiently.

Worked for University of Exeter? Contribute to the Community!