University of Florida Reviews

• Florida
4.1
University of Florida President Bernie Machen
Bernie Machen

1. I have an excellent experience working for the University of Florida in Gainesville.

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Gainesville, FL

I worked at University of Florida part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The university has an excellent and dynamic scientific community. The atmosphere is collaborative as opposed to cut-throat competitive. There is a diversity of classes, departments, research resources accessible to students and employees.

Cons

Not much on the negative side. The medical benefit package could be improved. I did not have dental or vision coverage and the general medical coverage was mainly limited to the "infirmary", only in extreme cases did we get referral to doctors in the hospital.

Keep attractive diversity in students and employees. Keep offering diverse classes and allowing students to seamlessly take courses across departments. Improve the medical benefit package.

2. Great organization with dedicated people

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at University of Florida full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and a very positive working environment.

Cons

Salaries are low and raises are infrequent.

3. This school has been an amazing experience!

I have been working at University of Florida

Pros

The ability to build relationships for your future and surround yourself in a supportive environment.

Cons

Time management can be the hardest thing when managing teaching, classes, research, and extension/outreach if you are not organized.

Focusing on communication skills will go a long way.

5. Nice people, low salary and job potential.

Former Employee - Senior Laboratory Technician in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Laboratory Technician in Gainesville, FL

I worked at University of Florida full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Straight 8-5 job, manageable workload. If you are lazy and do the bare minimum, you'll be treated the same as people who work hard and care about their job....no incentive to improve.

Cons

Slow to change or adapt, low salary compared to other government or university jobs, difficult to enter workforce, management not excited or amenable to new ideas or techniques and very reticent to give raises or promote hard working employees.

If you want to keep good people around, you need to recognize their work. Myself along with 2 other top technicians in our department were able to get good jobs elsewhere (Nanotheraputics, Banyan Biomarkers) because UF did not pay decently and were slow to promote quality people.

6. A great working environment

Former Employee - Southwest Rec Gym Trainer in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Southwest Rec Gym Trainer in Gainesville, FL

I worked at University of Florida part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working on a college campus is amazing because you have access to all of their resources as well as a fun and relaxed environment

Cons

The pay was a little low for my liking but the pros of picking my schedule and an easy commute to work far outweighed this minor inconvenience

Management was great they would always check up on us to make sure we were happy and productive

7. UF Enterprise Systems.

Current Employee - Project Management Analyst in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Project Management Analyst in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at University of Florida

Pros

people are super nice and friendly. I learned a lot from the work.

Cons

it is hard to get promotion

nothing, everything is good

8. Basically just a college town with nothing else

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Gainesville, FL

I worked at University of Florida full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Warm climate, friendly people. Many brilliant professors to work with. In a small town could be a good thing if you need to spend most of your time in your study and work.

Cons

Location is the biggest disadvantage. Florida is far away from large job markets, and the university is in a small town.

Undergrad courses can be improved. Some courses needs to provide more advanced material with faster pace. More undergrad courses in practical topics should be supplied in senior year.

9. Survey Research Center, not sure how to find it on here, so I picked the general UF company.

Former Employee - Interviewer in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Interviewer in Gainesville, FL

I worked at University of Florida full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, decent starting pay for a college kid, you can break whenever, online scheduling, really chill people and management, productivity incentive is nice too.

Cons

Hard to do multiple shifts in a row, it starts to wear on you. Work slowed a few times and shifts weren't available sometimes. Rules can be kind of complex and ridiculous, but management will work with you for the most part.

Great all around, maybe a few inspiring breakfasts on the weekend wouldn't hurt. It's hard to keep focused when the surveys are terrible (tobacco).

10. A vast campus with very good research as well as recreational facility

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Gainesville, FL

I worked at University of Florida full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As an international graduate student, I liked the multidisciplinary research opportunity as well as working with people with diverse cultural background and nationality. I also liked the beautiful campus a lot.

Cons

Stipend for graduate students is not very high, as is the case at any other university

The graduate students office staff is very helpful and makes your life easier as a student. Keep up it up!

11. Graduate Teaching Assistant. Great opportunity to learn with an intense work load

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at University of Florida part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere. professors are friendly and want you to succeed and learn. Responsibilities make grow and develop technical as well as interpersonal skills.

Cons

Work load can be above more than the 10hr per week established for graduate teaching assistants. This can interfere and negatively impact your own classwork and/or research.

University of Florida Photos