University of Georgia

University of Georgia Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

University of Georgia President Jere W. Morehead

Jere W. Morehead

Pros
  • Easy work environment, great benefits, growth within the company (in 18 reviews)

• Great place to work, very flexible work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage for three years as a work study student, federally mandated - not their fault (in 9 reviews)

• I was mostly considered for part time temporary, but those jobs only lasted around four months if that long (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Grad Assist Opinion

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) Athens, GA

ProsGreat benefits, great opportunities in education

Consacademic politics can be challenging depending on the department, and there is substantial bureaucracy.

Graduate Research Student

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat learning and working environment with diverse people.

ConsI did not see a good health insurance benefit compared to its cost.

Great overall work experience!

Bus Driver (Current Employee) Athens, GA

ProsGreat flexibility and great pay for student workers.

ConsI can't think of any drawbacks.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have found UGA to be a supporting and creating learning environment

Associate Professor (Current Employee) Athens, GA

ProsThe faculty and staff are wonderful to work with. The students are varied and interested in furthering their education. Athens is a great place to live and raise a family.

ConsSalary compression has been a major issue, has been declining support from the state. Leadership at the University is good, but state government does not seem to value UGA the way it should.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove support for graduate students, work to improve support from the state, improve success in large Federal grants, support faculty sabbaticals or training in a second discipline.

You get what you put in

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Athens, GA

ProsLow pressure atmosphere; Access to excellent research facilities; Collaborative atmosphere; Beautiful campus; Ramsey Center, the recreational center, is top-notch.

ConsSalary is relatively low, but Athens has a relatively low cost-of-living; Mandatory health insurance for graduate students is not too expensive and services at the University Health Center are free or very cheap, but health insurance for dependents is very pricey.

UGA is a good place to work.

IT Professional (Current Employee) Athens, GA

ProsFamily friendly, low stress, job security, very good vacation policy, very good health insurance. If you want an 8 - 5 job in Athens, this is the place to be. Summers are very nice because the number of students goes down dramatically. You can also get employee football tickets.

ConsSalaries are far behind what they should be across the board. Having to pay to park at the place you work at is absurd.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay raises more than once every five or six years would be nice. Not increasing insurance premiums in the same year that you actually do get raises would be fantastic.

Working for University Housing was one of my most memorable experiences at UGA.

Office Assistant/Mail Clerk for UGA Housing (Former Employee) Athens, GA

ProsGreat work environment.
    Decent pay.
    Open lines of communication.

ConsStrict Part-Time hours limit. Working 20.1 hours in a pay period earns you a sit down meeting and your final warning.

Manager for Recreational Sports.

Manager (Former Employee) Athens, GA

ProsGreat management, wonderful coworkers, and fun work meetings.

ConsAverage pay, working at the Club Sports Complex did not have sufficient facilities to keep workers warm in winter.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice for management.

PSLAMP

Retention Training (Former Employee) Athens, GA

Prosworking with the UGA students

ConsThere needs to be more innovation for the students

Advice to Senior Managementbe innovative with your programs for student retention

Great first job post-Masters

Research Professional II (Current Employee) Athens, GA

ProsThis is a 100% research-funded position so many of the positives come from the group of people I work with and from my PI. I have always had schedule flexibility, opportunities for advancement and professional development, and an easy-going but professional work environment. My boss was wonderful when I had my son and allowed me to arrange a flexible maternity leave. I also had a good environment that supported me as a working, breastfeeding mother. I love Athens and have found a high quality of life for me and my family in this city. Part of that quality of life is because of the work environment I am a part of and that makes up for some of the cons.

ConsThe salary is lower than I would be making in the private market or in a bigger city.

Worked for University of Georgia? Contribute to the Community!