University of Glasgow
www.gla.ac.uk Glasgow, United Kingdom 1000 to 5000 Employees

University of Glasgow Reviews

Updated Feb 11, 2014
University of Glasgow – Glasgow – “in the office”

I felt fairly treated.

Student (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Glasgow full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI like how the lectures and teaching is structured as well as the internationality among the students and lecturers.

ConsNot enough of elaboration of things not covered in lectures and self study directed.

Advice to Senior Managementget people to do more presentations

challenging

I have been working at University of Glasgow full-time for more than a year

ProsIntelligent professors and research opportunities

Consnone that I know of

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Centre of life science research.

PhD Student (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Glasgow full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAvailability of hi-tech devices for research. Leading researchers in life science are available to share knowledge and experience right next door. The architecture of the building as an open plan research lab allows easy communication between lab groups and fellow PhD students.

ConsWork/life balance is very hard to attain. We are expected to work long hours and often work weekends. It is very hard for people that have children.

Great research environment

Research Fellow (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Glasgow

ProsExcellent, world-class and stimulating research environment.

Good facilities and excellent support and guidance from from the research management (although this can be somewhat group dependent - maybe I was lucky).

Typically limited duration contracts, but good once you get on the rolling grants - in my experience, if you're any good, the management will do amazing feats of juggling to keep you regardless of funding problems.

ConsLimited chance of career advancement in research-only - as normal, to advance, you need to teach and the term time load can be rather high (supervision and not much else) - although some opportunities do exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn general, good job! Keep a eye on the teaching time load to ensure the university can keep its world-class research status. More opportunities for research-only posts (and advancement there) would be welcome (although noted that teaching is the primary function of universities!)

Post-Doc

Research Associate (Current Employee)
Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at University of Glasgow full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat career opportunities, interesting colleagues, and great research environment in broader community. Lots of opportunities to link research interests to community groups within Glasgow. Students are bright and often very committed to applied research. Really great learning community.

Conspay is not great, very bureaucratic work environment, and there is definitely a self-confidence problem in reference to anything Edinburgh does.

Nince job during your studies to reduce accommodation costs

Assistant Senior Resident (Current Employee)
Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at University of Glasgow part-time for more than a year

ProsUniversity gives many discounts for their staff (museums, concerts, gym etc), no matter that you are working just a few hours a week

ConsIt does not pay enough to cover the whole cost of the room in the Halls. Sanctuary Management is not a good choice of the University to manage the halls...

job conditions

Cleaner (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Glasgow

Prosthe conditions are good but the work is tiresome need more organisation i like the job though good salary

Consthe job is hard too much commitment , teamwork is good though and the environment perfect.

Advice to Senior Managementthey should involve workers more in planning

Satisfying work and a supportive environment

I have been working at University of Glasgow

ProsGood management structure that supports its employees through good communication. Flexible hours and fair consideration of personal commitments. All in all, supportive and encouraging.

ConsSecurity and stability of position is becoming an increasing issue due to re-structuring. This had led to feelings of anxiety and despondence, which is threatening the supportive nature of employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership would be improved with more consideration of personal anxieties of staff, who are keen to keep jobs they enjoy but are worried of losing when they believe they are being deemed dispensable.

There's a lot Glasgowing on at the University

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Glasgow

ProsJob security is certainly a bonus. There is a relaxed feel to University life and being based in the west end of glasgow is excellent.

ConsI personally believe that there aren't many opportunities for promotion in the University. Jobs appear to be awarded on factors that are unrelated to performance and ability. I have seen instances of senior management giving promotions to colleagues who they are friendly with rather than colleagues who are very good at their job.

There have been recent issues where senior management have attempted to save money by making unrealistic demands of departments. This has a negative affect on staff morale. The University is quite large and disjointed, when a task requires input from another department completion times increase exponentially.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe University is a large organisation with roughly 5000 staff and 25000 students. The senior management appear to make decisions based on unrealistic assumptions without much thought for the long term ramifications of change. It appears that on many occaisons management only see numbers on a spreadsheet and not the real cost of their decisions.

Good University that could be better...

Research Fellow (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Glasgow full-time for more than 8 years

ProsExcellent University with good resources and academics. Excellent location in the west end of Glasgow.

ConsNo doubt department dependent but lack of career support/development for contract researchers. Don't seem to take their redeployment register seriously - in fact HR dept deliberately deceives to ensure it is not used when convenient. Struggle with genuine interdisciplinary working. Too little contact between departments/schools - this is a wasted resource.

Worked for University of Glasgow? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Glasgow reviews and ratings. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by University of Glasgow employees.