University of Glasgow

www.gla.ac.uk

University of Glasgow Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014
University of Glasgow – Glasgow – “in the office”

I thought slavery was banned ... Not in academia

Senior Lecturer (Current Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsAn academic career allows you to guide research and sometimes gives you enough time for you to do some yourself. Unfortunately unless you bring in millions of pounds in grant month your time is not valued and you are overloaded with too much admin duties and teaching.

ConsMost areas of research are underfunded by the EPSRC which means that the senior management at the University of Glasgow penalise the majority of staff for not securing millions of pounds in funding. As a result they overload these member of staff with too much teaching and admin. For these staff members they have to undertake research in their own time. This leave very little time for life outside of academia. Also, the salary for lecturers, senior lecturers are very low. Makes it very difficult to raise a family.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter conditions for academics. Stop expecting 50 hour weeks for low pay. Value all contributions from staff. Stop expecting academics to recoup their salaries from research and accept teaching/admin income from staff.

MsC in Museum Studies? Walk away...

ProsGlasgow University as a whole is a good institution, that have plenty of really good seminars and workshops to attend. The presence of the Hunterian and a wide arrange of really good lecturers are a pros.

ConsThe MsC in Museum Studies, should in effect be cancelled. It is not academic at all, some of the teaching staff have no experience in Museums, they have a bit of a "I want to research, yet the job says I have teach"-attitude. Some of the things that are taught are directly wrong and some of the courses have absolutely no relevance whatsoever.

Advice to Senior ManagementCancel the course or get much better qualified staff. The course is a total waste of time.

Cliquey, no training

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Proscheap gym, swimming, west end

Conscliquey, stuffy, management too busy lunching

Advice to Senior Managementtrain staff!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A fine establishment tarnished by poor management

Administrator (Former Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsWonderful setting, good work/life balance. Plenty of on-site amenities for staff and students alike. Excellent transport links to rest of the city.

ConsShockingly out-of-touch management. An inherent inability to cope with change. Toxic, politically-motivated barriers to advancement within departments.

Good University that could be better...

Research Fellow (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent University with good resources and academics. Excellent location in the west end of Glasgow.

ConsNo doubt department dependent but lack of career support/development for contract researchers. Don't seem to take their redeployment register seriously - in fact HR dept deliberately deceives to ensure it is not used when convenient. Struggle with genuine interdisciplinary working. Too little contact between departments/schools - this is a wasted resource.

placement

Prosgood communication at work place

Conslack of appreciation of the copleted projects

Wonderful location

Senior Library Assistant (Current Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsThe area, flexi-leave (when it's not an issue!!), good work-life balance.

ConsSome departments reluctant to implement flexi-leave while others openly flaunt it and book theirs well ahead! The poor wage rises!

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter wage increases!

Excellent Administrator

Student (Former Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsGood work /life balance .Good support for student and many opportunity for developing research .

ConsSalaries and benifits .Shortage or funding and travel or for software to help students.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk for feeback from adminstration and students for development.Think international !

Post-Doc

Research Associate (Current Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsGreat career opportunities, interesting colleagues, and great research environment in broader community. Lots of opportunities to link research interests to community groups within Glasgow. Students are bright and often very committed to applied research. Really great learning community.

Conspay is not great, very bureaucratic work environment, and there is definitely a self-confidence problem in reference to anything Edinburgh does.

Nince job during your studies to reduce accommodation costs

Assistant Senior Resident (Current Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsUniversity gives many discounts for their staff (museums, concerts, gym etc), no matter that you are working just a few hours a week

ConsIt does not pay enough to cover the whole cost of the room in the Halls. Sanctuary Management is not a good choice of the University to manage the halls...

Worked for University of Glasgow? Contribute to the Community!