University of Glasgow Reviews

CEO

Nightmare

Former Employee - Academic
    Former Employee - Academic

I worked at University of Glasgow full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Glasgow is lovely. Good access to countryside. Pre restructure - I enjoyed working here. The workplace I joined had a great feeling of camaraderie.

Cons

This is my personal opinion: 1. I had less and less time for research and ever greater teaching and teaching admin loads 2. My yearly assessment only seemed to be about performance (papers/grant income/students supervised)- make sure you are aware of how you will be judged - look it up on the P&DR pages of HR. The emphasis on my development/promotion as an academic did not seem to exist 3. I was hampered by a dysfunctional Institute/School structure. Infighting between university structures made life very difficult 4. Poor administrative support in every respect 5. In my opinion, women were treated poorly in my Institute.

Advice to Management

How about taking heed of the staff survey

I thought slavery was banned ... Not in academia

Current Employee - Senior Lecturer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Lecturer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at University of Glasgow full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

An academic career allows you to guide research and sometimes gives you enough time for you to do some yourself. Unfortunately unless you bring in millions of pounds in grant month your time is not valued and you are overloaded with too much admin duties and teaching.

Cons

Most areas of research are underfunded by the EPSRC which means that the senior management at the University of Glasgow penalise the majority of staff for not securing millions of pounds in funding. As a result they overload these member of staff with too much teaching and admin. For these staff members they have to undertake research in their own time. This leave very little time for life outside of academia. Also, the salary for lecturers, senior lecturers are very low. Makes it very difficult to raise a family.

Advice to Management

Better conditions for academics. Stop expecting 50 hour weeks for low pay. Value all contributions from staff. Stop expecting academics to recoup their salaries from research and accept teaching/admin income from staff.

Deeply dissatisfied

Former Employee - Senior Lecturer/Senior Clinician in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Lecturer/Senior Clinician in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at University of Glasgow part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

• The location is great, particularly for anyone who likes the great outdoors, and there is a lot going on in the city. • Many postgraduate students seem to enjoy the environment and the experience.

Cons

• I was employed at Senior Lecturer (SL) level for 6 years, in a role which combined being an academic and a clinician. During this time my experience was that the University (as an employer) was very happy to take (your time, your effort, your dedication) but very slow to give anything back, including any support. • In some Schools, including the one where I was employed, the criteria for individual advancement clash with what senior management will actually want - and expect - you to do in order to maximise financial gain and other markers of 'success' for the organisation. What is best for you as an individual is not given priority. Despite putting enormous amounts of time and effort into my work, regularly exceeding my basic working hours by 100% and more, and consistently exceeding annual targets none of this helped with career progression when it came down to it. In fact, those who progress are the ones who work out how to play the political game, and those who are sufficiently selfish to prioritise themselves at the expense of others. They then become managers, perpetuating the cycle of weak management. • In my opinion, there is a deeply, and worryingly misogynistic attitude ingrained in many of the more senior staff members of the University. This allows an insidious culture of bullying which the University seems to be making little effort to recognise, let alone tackle. The level of support shown to staff at middle and senior levels in particular is not good, and the environment can be hostile at times.

Advice to Management

Until you start to support, invest and believe in your staff, you will continue to lose valuable individuals from relatively senior positions. This only weakens the University in the long term. In my opinion, ignoring/tolerating the undercurrent of misogyny and bullying is not a good strategy.

Poor HE Employer - look elsewhere for work

I worked at University of Glasgow (Less than a year)

Pros

Location, academic and historical reputation.

Cons

I think University of Glasgow is a major revolving door employer. It should be no surprise when you click on their website and they have 30 jobs going in admin, while their local competitors have 3 - 5 jobs currently on offer. I relocated for my position and was treated poorly from the start. The professorial staff hold all the power, and if you're a lowly admin staff member forget it. I made a huge mistake taking that job and now feel stranded in Glasgow after being forced to resign after taking verbal abuse and vile criticism every day. Additionally, what is the point of a manager if they don't manage you? Never again.

Advice to Management

I have no advice as I'm sure management are completely unwilling to change. I hope other people see this review prior to taking a position at your institution.

6. They need to overhaul the pastoral system.

Former Employee - Assistant Senior Resident in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Senior Resident in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Pros

-It is a genuinely rewarding experience to help the students -You get accommodation sorted -You are paid

Cons

-Senior management does not appreciate me. -It's a night shift, and you will be woken up during the night -Multiple threats from senior management if you do not agree with their views, then they will fire you. -You live in student accomodation, where room allocations, the size of these rooms, the quality etc vary greatly between halls and even within the hall. -Pay has been a major source of contention over the years, with little increase.The hours that I work does not correlate at all with the hours on my contract. You do not get overtime, even though you will need to do extra hours.

Advice to Management

I firmly believe that this job is an excellent opportunity for the University. The ASRs are in a fantastic position to offer an invaluable service should students need assistance, and have helped numerous students with their University experience. It is therefore extremely unfortunate that a number of my former colleagues have expressed their disappointment that they can no longer afford to work and live at student halls. I think it's easy to forget that the ASRs are also students with the same financial difficulties but also have the additional stress that comes with the job. It is important for the University to recognise the work that ASRs do and the value they add to the overall student experience and work to maintain the existence ASRs and to recruit the best possible candidates for the job.

7. Cliquey, no training

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at University of Glasgow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

cheap gym, swimming, west end

Cons

cliquey, stuffy, management too busy lunching

Advice to Management

train staff!

MsC in Museum Studies? Walk away...

Pros

Glasgow University as a whole is a good institution, that have plenty of really good seminars and workshops to attend. The presence of the Hunterian and a wide arrange of really good lecturers are a pros.

Cons

The MsC in Museum Studies, should in effect be cancelled. It is not academic at all, some of the teaching staff have no experience in Museums, they have a bit of a "I want to research, yet the job says I have teach"-attitude. Some of the things that are taught are directly wrong and some of the courses have absolutely no relevance whatsoever.

Advice to Management

Cancel the course or get much better qualified staff. The course is a total waste of time.

placement

I have been working at University of Glasgow full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good communication at work place

Cons

lack of appreciation of the copleted projects

Good University that could be better...

Former Employee - Research Fellow
    Former Employee - Research Fellow

I worked at University of Glasgow full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent University with good resources and academics. Excellent location in the west end of Glasgow.

Cons

No doubt department dependent but lack of career support/development for contract researchers. Don't seem to take their redeployment register seriously - in fact HR dept deliberately deceives to ensure it is not used when convenient. Struggle with genuine interdisciplinary working. Too little contact between departments/schools - this is a wasted resource.

A fine establishment tarnished by poor management

Former Employee - Administrator in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Administrator in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at University of Glasgow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful setting, good work/life balance. Plenty of on-site amenities for staff and students alike. Excellent transport links to rest of the city.

Cons

Shockingly out-of-touch management. An inherent inability to cope with change. Toxic, politically-motivated barriers to advancement within departments.

RSS Feed </> Embed