University of Glasgow

CEO

Nightmare

Former Employee - Academic
    Former Employee - Academic

I worked at University of Glasgow full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Glasgow is lovely. Good access to countryside.
    Pre restructure - I enjoyed working here. The workplace I joined had a great feeling of camaraderie.

Cons

This is my personal opinion:
    1. I had less and less time for research and ever greater teaching and teaching admin loads
    2. My yearly assessment only seemed to be about performance (papers/grant income/students supervised)- make sure you are aware of how you will be judged - look it up on the P&DR pages of HR. The emphasis on my development/promotion as an academic did not seem to exist
    3. I was hampered by a dysfunctional Institute/School structure. Infighting between university structures made life very difficult
    4. Poor administrative support in every respect
    5. In my opinion, women were treated poorly in my Institute.

How about taking heed of the staff survey

Renowned British University with archaic and incompetent HR department

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at University of Glasgow as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I am an American biomedical engineering PhD who was conducting my postdoctoral fellowship at the University. The quality of some of the research being done at this University is remarkable. The campus is absolutely gorgeous with its beautiful Gothic architecture. State of the art facilities for several engineering and biotech research areas.

Cons

The HR department screwed up my Visa paperwork such that my work Visa expired 1.5 months before my job actually ended. This made my life with the Border Agency a huge nightmare. Once I arrived, I waited nearly a month to get my key card credentials which I needed to actually be able to start working properly. It seemed like there was a lot of backhanded rivalry amongst PIs in the departments. I was not able to conduct the studies that I had planned to do due to bickering and fighting amongst grad students and post docs regarding who had seniority to acquire certain cells.

It's difficult to make recommendations to management within university settings as it almost always seems like the people "calling the shots" are behind the curtain, like the Wizard of Oz. Certainly, though, the HR department could communicate much better than they do, hopefully preventing colossal screw-ups like my Visa situation in the future.

I thought slavery was banned ... Not in academia

Current Employee - Senior Lecturer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Lecturer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at University of Glasgow full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

An academic career allows you to guide research and sometimes gives you enough time for you to do some yourself. Unfortunately unless you bring in millions of pounds in grant month your time is not valued and you are overloaded with too much admin duties and teaching.

Cons

Most areas of research are underfunded by the EPSRC which means that the senior management at the University of Glasgow penalise the majority of staff for not securing millions of pounds in funding. As a result they overload these member of staff with too much teaching and admin. For these staff members they have to undertake research in their own time. This leave very little time for life outside of academia. Also, the salary for lecturers, senior lecturers are very low. Makes it very difficult to raise a family.

Better conditions for academics. Stop expecting 50 hour weeks for low pay. Value all contributions from staff. Stop expecting academics to recoup their salaries from research and accept teaching/admin income from staff.

MsC in Museum Studies? Walk away...

I have been working at University of Glasgow

Pros

Glasgow University as a whole is a good institution, that have plenty of really good seminars and workshops to attend. The presence of the Hunterian and a wide arrange of really good lecturers are a pros.

Cons

The MsC in Museum Studies, should in effect be cancelled. It is not academic at all, some of the teaching staff have no experience in Museums, they have a bit of a "I want to research, yet the job says I have teach"-attitude. Some of the things that are taught are directly wrong and some of the courses have absolutely no relevance whatsoever.

Cancel the course or get much better qualified staff. The course is a total waste of time.

Cliquey, no training

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at University of Glasgow full-time (less than an year)

Pros

cheap gym, swimming, west end

Cons

cliquey, stuffy, management too busy lunching

train staff!

A fine establishment tarnished by poor management

Former Employee - Administrator in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Administrator in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at University of Glasgow full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful setting, good work/life balance. Plenty of on-site amenities for staff and students alike. Excellent transport links to rest of the city.

Cons

Shockingly out-of-touch management. An inherent inability to cope with change. Toxic, politically-motivated barriers to advancement within departments.

Good University that could be better...

Former Employee - Research Fellow
    Former Employee - Research Fellow

I worked at University of Glasgow full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent University with good resources and academics. Excellent location in the west end of Glasgow.

Cons

No doubt department dependent but lack of career support/development for contract researchers. Don't seem to take their redeployment register seriously - in fact HR dept deliberately deceives to ensure it is not used when convenient. Struggle with genuine interdisciplinary working. Too little contact between departments/schools - this is a wasted resource.

placement

I have been working at University of Glasgow full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good communication at work place

Cons

lack of appreciation of the copleted projects

Telephone fundraiser job with the University alumni office. Good pay, treated with respect

Current Employee - Student Caller Fundraising Team in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Student Caller Fundraising Team in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at University of Glasgow part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You're treated with respect and the pay is generally higher than you would expect if doing a similar job out with the university. There is extensive training and flexibility with shifts.

Cons

There's not much room to move up in the role.
    The job can be monotonous after a while and you can be met with a lot of animosity from the alumni when speaking with them.

Fun, some administrative annoyances as with most jobs

Former Employee - PhD Student
    Former Employee - PhD Student

I worked at University of Glasgow full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's in a great location, the campus is really pretty, the cheap gym access as a student is great and there are lots of pubs and restaurants nearby. The department I worked in was full of interaction between research groups and encouraged co-operation between them.

Cons

The weather is not great...! Sometimes it felt like it lacked a great structure for addressing employee concerns about management. Some of the line managers could do with a little more formal training in people management, to make life easier and professional interactions smoother for all concerned.

University of Glasgow Photos