University of Glasgow Reviews

3.3
CEO

1. student

I worked at University of Glasgow

Pros

fun, great city, great people, good resources

Cons

old university, can be a bit out of touch

2. Postgraduate research at Glasgow University

I have been working at University of Glasgow full-time

Pros

Top 100 University in the world with a rich history of producing world leading research. Facilities are continually updated and provide a nice working environment.

Cons

The weather! Also short and medium contracts as is the norm with post-doctoral research employment. Very competitive departments, meaning it would be difficult to obtain a permanent position.

Advice to Management

Support early career more by allowing formal supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate students, instead of the informal co-supervision status that is currently granted. Allow teaching experience whilst researching.

3. They need to overhaul the pastoral system.

Former Employee - Assistant Senior Resident in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Senior Resident in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at University of Glasgow

Pros

-It is a genuinely rewarding experience to help the students -You get accommodation sorted -You are paid

Cons

-Senior management does not appreciate me. -It's a night shift, and you will be woken up during the night -Multiple threats from senior management if you do not agree with their views, then they will fire you. -You live in student accomodation, where room allocations, the size of these rooms, the quality etc vary greatly between halls and even within the hall. -Pay has been a major source of contention over the years, with little increase.The hours that I work does not correlate at all with the hours on my contract. You do not get overtime, even though you will need to do extra hours.

Advice to Management

I firmly believe that this job is an excellent opportunity for the University. The ASRs are in a fantastic position to offer an invaluable service should students need assistance, and have helped numerous students with their University experience. It is therefore extremely unfortunate that a number of my former colleagues have expressed their disappointment that they can no longer afford to work and live at student halls. I think it's easy to forget that the ASRs are also students with the same financial difficulties but also have the additional stress that comes with the job. It is important for the University to recognise the work that ASRs do and the value they add to the overall student experience and work to maintain the existence ASRs and to recruit the best possible candidates for the job.

5. Research Assitant

I worked at University of Glasgow

Pros

Good work/life balance. Historical and attractive place to work.

Cons

Parking a nightmare. Pretty tough to get up a grade in the salary scale.

Poor HE Employer - look elsewhere for work

I worked at University of Glasgow (Less than a year)

Pros

Location, academic and historical reputation.

Cons

I think University of Glasgow is a major revolving door employer. It should be no surprise when you click on their website and they have 30 jobs going in admin, while their local competitors have 3 - 5 jobs currently on offer. I relocated for my position and was treated poorly from the start. The professorial staff hold all the power, and if you're a lowly admin staff member forget it. I made a huge mistake taking that job and now feel stranded in Glasgow after being forced to resign after taking verbal abuse and vile criticism every day. Additionally, what is the point of a manager if they don't manage you? Never again.

Advice to Management

I have no advice as I'm sure management are completely unwilling to change. I hope other people see this review prior to taking a position at your institution.

7. Chemist

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Enola, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Enola, PA

I worked at University of Glasgow (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting research and friendly people

Cons

Very old and cold chemistry building

Advice to Management

Consider a new building!

Deeply dissatisfied

Former Employee - Senior Lecturer/Senior Clinician in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Lecturer/Senior Clinician in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at University of Glasgow part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

• The location is great, particularly for anyone who likes the great outdoors, and there is a lot going on in the city. • Many postgraduate students seem to enjoy the environment and the experience.

Cons

• I was employed at Senior Lecturer (SL) level for 6 years, in a role which combined being an academic and a clinician. During this time my experience was that the University (as an employer) was very happy to take (your time, your effort, your dedication) but very slow to give anything back, including any support. • In some Schools, including the one where I was employed, the criteria for individual advancement clash with what senior management will actually want - and expect - you to do in order to maximise financial gain and other markers of 'success' for the organisation. What is best for you as an individual is not given priority. Despite putting enormous amounts of time and effort into my work, regularly exceeding my basic working hours by 100% and more, and consistently exceeding annual targets none of this helped with career progression when it came down to it. In fact, those who progress are the ones who work out how to play the political game, and those who are sufficiently selfish to prioritise themselves at the expense of others. They then become managers, perpetuating the cycle of weak management. • In my opinion, there is a deeply, and worryingly misogynistic attitude ingrained in many of the more senior staff members of the University. This allows an insidious culture of bullying which the University seems to be making little effort to recognise, let alone tackle. The level of support shown to staff at middle and senior levels in particular is not good, and the environment can be hostile at times.

Advice to Management

Until you start to support, invest and believe in your staff, you will continue to lose valuable individuals from relatively senior positions. This only weakens the University in the long term. In my opinion, ignoring/tolerating the undercurrent of misogyny and bullying is not a good strategy.

9. University of Glasgow Research 'Associate

Current Employee - Research Associate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at University of Glasgow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly working atmosphere Regular working hours Glasgow is an inexpesive city to live in

Cons

Standard Post-Doc Salary Lots of people are lacklustern and demotivated

10. Glasgow University PostDoc

Current Employee - Research Associate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at University of Glasgow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice, productive atmosphere. Strong scientific impacts in a lot of different groups.

Cons

Some people get too relaxed and passive, not driving research effectively on their own.

Nightmare

Former Employee - Academic
    Former Employee - Academic

I worked at University of Glasgow full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Glasgow is lovely. Good access to countryside. Pre restructure - I enjoyed working here. The workplace I joined had a great feeling of camaraderie.

Cons

This is my personal opinion: 1. I had less and less time for research and ever greater teaching and teaching admin loads 2. My yearly assessment only seemed to be about performance (papers/grant income/students supervised)- make sure you are aware of how you will be judged - look it up on the P&DR pages of HR. The emphasis on my development/promotion as an academic did not seem to exist 3. I was hampered by a dysfunctional Institute/School structure. Infighting between university structures made life very difficult 4. Poor administrative support in every respect 5. In my opinion, women were treated poorly in my Institute.

Advice to Management

How about taking heed of the staff survey

RSS Feed </> Embed