University of Hawai'i

Updated October 16, 2014
3.4

University of Hawai'i President M.R.C. Greenwood
M.R.C. Greenwood

Pros
  • Culture supports work-life balance and family life (in 3 reviews)

• Excellent benefits, leadership roles, promotion potential, amazing work environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low Salary, beauracracy, not much vertical movement (in 2 reviews)

• No one takes responsibility or demonstrates accountability (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

46 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Intramurals

Former Employee - Official & Scorekeeper in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Official & Scorekeeper in Honolulu, HI

I worked at University of Hawai'i part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, excellent management, personal growth, leadership opportunities, flexible hours. My personal experience was overall very good; I would definitely recommend for an on-campus job.

Cons

Working with peers, training could be improved, student management needs more balance. Personally, I felt the most difficult aspect of this job was working as an authoritative figure over people the same age as or older than me. It was a challenge, but the end result is worth it.

A little more time could be spent on training, the grad-assistant shouldn't be able to overpower the general managers but rather facilitate harmony amongst them (be there more for guidance purposes rather than authority and power).

Great place, great people.

Current Employee - Instructor in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Instructor in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at University of Hawai'i full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Beautiful environment in Manoa, great team in my department.

Cons

University kept me on lecturer pay long after I should have been moved to instructor pay.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Invasive Species Biologist in Kahului, HI
    Former Employee - Invasive Species Biologist in Kahului, HI

Pros

Cons

training is limited, compensation is very low

Do better in exposing your projects to the public in order to attract more funding

Excellent Staff and Work Environment

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at University of Hawai'i full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Staff are friendly and cooperative. Brand new IT building provides excellent facilities and leadership is very responsive to needs. Nice, quiet, clean and air conditioned. Very good work life balance.

Cons

The biggest drawback compared to private sector is the pay, however with the time off and benefits the overall package is competitive - but you will probably be making your lunch at home and bringing it, like most folks. It is also difficult to advance your career since the company doesn't "grow" like a private company would.

Research Assistant

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Honolulu, HI

I worked at University of Hawai'i part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learn stuffs and tuition waived. Will gain more research experience while attending school.

Cons

It's really hard to maintain the job, and it is depend on the funding situation of the professor you've been working on.

If you want to get something done do it yourself.

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at University of Hawai'i part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The students are fun although fairly lacking in fundamental education. The classes are disorganized in general and everyone loves to not set up anything until the last minute. TAs are paid less than most other graduate schools on the mainland where stuff is cheaper.

Cons

If you want something done you always have to push for it yourself. Working for UH Manoa as a TA can be like being back in junior high...you have to play politics.

Bring Chancellor Apple back!

You can learn a lot based on the department you work, I did because of the great environment and co-workers.

Former Employee - Institutional Support (Administrative & Fiscal Support) in Honolulu, HI

I worked at University of Hawai'i as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I got to learn a lot about the processes because my supervisor took the time to explain well and was happy about my eagerness to learn. Co-workers were one of the best I have ever met. Everyone supported each other and together we got a lot of work done. I would say that this would be an ideal place to grow when you are starting off in your transition from a student to someone looking for an job.

Cons

I did not encounter much challenges besides that if you work here long enough and there is enough help, eventually there won't be enough work and you will be doing smaller task such as shredding or filing. Looking back, there is a lot to learn, but over time the whole process comes together and you will easily be able to see the whole picture of their operation.

Keep up with what you are doing. I think you guys have been doing a great job.

Postdoctoral research

Former Employee - Biomedical Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Biomedical Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Honolulu, HI

I worked at University of Hawai'i full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to learn and self develop. Overhead benefits are good (i.e. automatic 10% retirement contribution). Some state of the art facility and technology to utilize. Multi-ethnic workforce is fun to be associated with.

Cons

Salary doesn't match up with the cost of living in this state. Local collaborations and expertise of a specific are are very few or not available. Only very few true mentor are available, you will be mostly on your own. Company culture doesn't focus on talent retention. Huge bureaucracy and messy politics.

Quality in Paradise

Former Employee - Assistant Director, First Year Composition Center in Honolulu, HI

I worked at University of Hawai'i part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I went back to school as an "adult student" to get a long-delayed degree, and found all my coursework to be quite stimulating, and the professors very eager to teach, and very knowledgeable. My experiences working with the English Department as Assistant Director of the Composition Center, and with the Geology Department in one of the labs, were very fulfilling.

Cons

I think about the only major drawback to the system is the relatively meager state funding. The Art Department and English Departments were both targeted, and courses were cut due to "budget concerns" while the Athletics Department grabbed a larger and larger share of tuition for their programs. I do not think that a research facility of this calibre should suffer in order to support college athletics.

Definitely Recommend UH

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hilo, HI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hilo, HI

I worked at University of Hawai'i full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

UH is a good work environment with good opportunities and benefits.

Cons

Your experience at UH most definitely varies depending on the department that you work in. They're all very different from one another.