University of Hawaii at Manoa

3.2

CEO

RA

I worked at University of Hawaii at Manoa

Pros

Live and work in Hawaii. Very friendly atmosphere. Great Professors. Lot to learn.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of. Sometimes for international students...landing a job can be quite challenging if you need a visa.

Excellent employer

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at University of Hawaii at Manoa

Pros

Flexible around student schedules. Willing to accommodate you where / when needed. Good working environment with positive reinforcement and on-the-job training.

Cons

Not as many hours available as I would have liked. Pay is somewhat low in comparison to internship pay, etc. Can sometimes run out of things to do on slow days.

Make scheduling more flexible so that students can work less or more in a dynamic fashion-- if I have a project due I might work less hours, but if I'm free I can pick up the slack that week.

Great pay for part-time work while being a full-time student

I worked at University of Hawaii at Manoa part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedules, great pay, friendly environment

Cons

benefits, part-time student workers doesn't gain any benefits

programmer

I worked at University of Hawaii at Manoa

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, free to come and go as you please as long as deadlines are met. This was a great stepping stone in learning how to work in a team environment and manage multiple tasks over the course of a software development life cycle. Great management and leadership.

Cons

Not much of a work culture, though it is a university.

Some better work incentives

Certainly not a bad teaching gig, but financial support for graduate students is too low.

Former Employee - Instructor
    Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at University of Hawaii at Manoa (more than a year)

Pros

There are lots of opportunities for professional development and training as an instructor, as long as you keep your eyes and ears open to them.

Cons

Budget short-falls affect many aspects of UHM experience, most notably salaries and the conditions of buildings, classrooms, and other physical resources on campus.

Pay graduate students enough money to live in Honolulu. Many departments could accomplish this by accepting fewer students in their graduate programs. In this way, departments will be able to attract and retain overall higher caliber students.

High Expectations, Low Pay

I worked at University of Hawaii at Manoa part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best part of working for the University of Hawaii at Manoa is the location. The proximity to beautiful beaches and mountain views can't be beat.

Cons

As an employee of the University of Hawaii at Manoa, expect to have high demands on your time with little expectation of reward.

Decent place to work for.

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant

I have been working at University of Hawaii at Manoa

Pros

Job is relatively easy and doesn't take that much effort. The hours are very flexible. The people and the professors are pretty nice as well.

Cons

Can't go over a certain number of hours. You also need to make sure that you don't fall behind with the work and grading. The students are not very motivated.

Great location, but provincial.

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at University of Hawaii at Manoa full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Location is hard to beat. Some faculty is top notch (because they love to live here), some so so (because there was no other choice).

Cons

Low salaries. Very political. Kids education: public schools are bad, private are beyond reach.

Get out of the way.

No Integrity.... anywhere on campus.... watch your back

I worked at University of Hawaii at Manoa

Pros

Higher paying starting salary.... aaaaaand
    Work with jerks who think they are god sent
    Employees expect you email them back on a Saturday at 11pm Hawaii time Because they are in Germany and it's your job to be on call

Cons

Ridiculous out of pocket medical premiums, parking expensive and hard to find after 8 am, no work life balance, no support from management, supervisors blaming their own staff for things they were advised on but did anyway... let's spend everyone's money and try and hide it... etc. etc. Etc.

None, you don't listen anyway. You'll be getting stuck with "another" lawsuit soon enough

I enjoyed my time at the College of Education

Current Employee - Student Technician in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Student Technician in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at University of Hawaii at Manoa part-time (less than a year)

Pros

My boss is probably the nicest person I've ever worked for. It's an easy job and helps build problem solving for networking and AV.

Cons

Pay is low and there's too much downtime. It's also kind of unorganized, but not to the point where it interferes with what needs to be done.

Give us more projects to help build real world skills.