University of Houston

University of Houston Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

University of Houston President Renu Khator

Renu Khator

Pros
  • Good work environment and you get time to work on PhD topic (in 23 reviews)

• Work Life Balance great benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is low and raises are very some at times (in 6 reviews)

• So much red tape when trying to process a request (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

great environment

Prosgrowing university with community ties and promising future

Consnone, I have enjoyed several years working at the UHV campus

Student Tech Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsI have worked really hard to find a place for myself in this university and now I love it. I say I graduated from the University of Houston that it will mean something. I don't think I'm missing out in terms of quality of education, but socially the school has a lot of catching up to do. It's hard to make friends.

ConsOut of the three universities that I attended, this was by far the best. UH has a job center that can get you internships and future jobs, WELL WORTH IT! While I say this, each department at UH is fairly different; each department is like a fiefdom. I was in the ECE department where the professors were present during their office hours, and were very willing to help the students.

Wouldn't recommend

Program Manager (Current Employee)

Prosonly positive has been friendly co-workers

ConsDifficult administration; lack of communication

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Residential Life and Housing student employee,

Residential Life and Housing Student Worker (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI met more students on a personal level and established more friendships than in my classes.

ConsMinimum wage. The most highly skilled individuals are classified as unskilled labor. This is simply to say that the University gets premium quality individuals, both intellectually and culturally, while paying them minimum wage. No flexibility regrinds schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your student workers as the competent and capable individuals they are.

A good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood benefits, friendly environment, and an aesthetically pleasing campus are the main highlights of UH.

ConsLocation in the city, although central, is not the safest albeit not the most dangerous. Nobody should be alone at night on campus or the apartment complexes within close proximity to campus. Antiquated promotion system, inconsistent leadership at the top with visions that different from those actually implementing plans. Virtually no school pride, although it is better than in the 80's and 90's.

Advice to Senior ManagementUniversity leadership has a vision, but not necessarily the right one for the school. Attaining Tier One status is a great goal, but there is so much other issues that must be addressed first. Most offices are understaffed for the number of students at the university. Although some process are automated, there are no procedures for issues that fall outside the "rules" of the system.

very nice campus and other people in the university system

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThis is a very nice campus atmosphere and a lot of very nice people in the University. Close to Downtown Houston. Good if you are working at the main campus. You have the ability to use some of the facilities since you will be a staff member. The university setting is a challenging place to work since you will always be encountering people of high intelligence who will inspire and challenge you.

ConsCon if you are working at main campus is the traffic getting there... It's in Houston - 4th largest city in US. Anyhow, Getting around campus might be a con if you have to go to different buildings during the day. It's been a long time since I worked there and can't say too much negative about the University of Houston.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining employees on new state regulations and university rules should be done at least once a year.

University of Houston General Review

ProsGood for specific subjects like Petroleum Engineering and Subsea Engineering due to proximity to market. Good for business education related to Oil and Gas.

ConsExtremely unsafe, very cumbersome and outdated university system.

Dreadful.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt is a convenient job for a student.

ConsDealing with the managers and the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe happy for once!

Typical Laid Back Government Job

Functional Analyst I (Current Employee)

ProsLong Lunches, low stress, great benefits and vacation

Conslower pay, office staff may be "uncultured", favoritism

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide incentive for ongoing training.

Great community of people but b/c public sector employment, salaries are below market and growth potential is limited

User Services Specialist II (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsEveryone is easy going and friendly.

ConsLower paying public sector salaries & benefits.

Worked for University of Houston? Contribute to the Community!