University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Updated September 26, 2014
4.1

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Chancellor Phyllis Wise
Phyllis Wise

Pros
  • Generally a pretty flexible work environment depending on the department you get hired at (in 15 reviews)

• Great place for engineering/physical sciences (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • small town makes you sometimes bored; (in 16 reviews)

• A little bit far away from big city, sometimes feel bored especially during the summer (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

274 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Engineering Post-doc

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate  in  Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Urbana, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have a great advisor who is extremely supportive without being overbearing. I know there are many highly regarded faculty on campus. I have recieved great support on my own personal research. Also, I would say that I have met many interesting people doing interesting things in other departments. Great place for engineering/physical sciences. Great post-doc experience.

Cons

I don't have any real cons. I'm sure there is somebody somewhere on campus doing something stupid in management, but I don't really pay attention to the politics. If you want to come here and do research, it's a great place.

As a student worker at a residence hall, I am very satisfied with my on-campus job at UIUC.

Current Employee - Desk Clerk  in  Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Desk Clerk in Champaign, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very flexible work schedule. Minimal tasks to do at the beginning of a shift. After completing your tasks, you can do whatever you want at the desk such as homework or study.

Cons

Sometimes you get stuck working late night/early morning shifts.

None. The way everything is run is just fine.

The best place anyone would ever want to go for college.

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Champaign, IL

Pros

Great education, great towns, great culture.

Cons

Nothing. place is really great.

Great place to learn and play.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Undergraduate Researcher

Former Employee - Undergraduate Researcher  in  Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Undergraduate Researcher in Urbana, IL

I worked at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Get a chance to work with professor and do some research before going to Grad school so that you can get a sense how phd life is like.

Cons

salary is pretty low compared to that in the industry.

Pretty good.

Software Engineering Internship

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern  in  Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Urbana, IL

Pros

-Great salary
    -Very interactive work environment
    -fellow interns were both smart and considerate, and I got to spend some quality time with them
    -Collaboration with interns from various other fields made my experience much more interesting
    -Professors provided constructive criticism on our projects and constantly pushed us to succeed

Cons

-only got compensation for 30 hours of work a week
    -didn't provide housing
    -professors were busy a lot of the time, so I didn't get to talk to them as much as I would have liked to

Employment experience varies greatly by department

Former Employee - Research Associate  in  Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Urbana, IL

I worked at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours, great vacation/sick leave i.e. while my Champaign-Urbana colleagues working in science/engineering/IT outside the university (in industry) typically earned higher salaries than me, I had about 3-4 times as much time off annually as them. Trade offs.

Cons

Moderate pay. Can be difficult to advance depending on dept., most advancements require moving depts., buildings, starting over in new setting with new people, often this is necessary for even an incremental advancement.

Some of the long term staff are simply retired in place, especially in IT. These are people just there collecting paycheck, doing bare minimum, and not rocking any boats, but this hurts ability for campus to move forward and innovate.

It is very good university to work

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate  in  Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Urbana, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign full-time for less than a year

Pros

good platform to start with

Cons

the city is self is too far away from chicago. It is not easy to travel around.

I do not have any right now.

Great town to live in, nice culture

Former Employee - Program Director  in  Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Program Director in Champaign, IL

I worked at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I enjoyed working in an innovative environment where thinking differently was embraced. Nice benefits for academic professionals. Champaign is a great community with a lot going on.

Cons

Low pay for non-tenure track staff and raises are far and few between. Not much opportunity for promotions. The atmosphere of a corrupt state government has placed a lot of restrictions on the university as far as hiring. It takes a long time to get through the process of hiring, like nearly a year, and the restrictions on what is allowed and not allowed makes it difficult to vet job candidates. Also, the weather in that area can be quite severe.

Give more attention to non-tenure track faculty teaching undergraduate courses. You do a lot of things right, but trying to consolidate learning technologies into a one size fits all setting will lead to no good.

Good place for postdoc training.

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow  in  Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Urbana, IL

I worked at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign full-time for more than a year

Pros

The university provides excellent research environment. Lots of collaboration with people from other departments. You are easily inspred by other scientists and get new ideas. A pretty good atmosphere for learning and academic research.

Cons

Too cold in winter.

Working to live

Current Employee - Medical Records Administrator  in  Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Medical Records Administrator in Urbana, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good hours for work life balance. Benefits are excellent. Vacation and sick time is unreal.

Cons

Hard to work your way up, someone might make more than you because of time at job not quality of employer, but that is how the civil service system works.

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Photos

Worked for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign? Contribute to the Community!