University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Updated November 24, 2014
4.2

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Chancellor Phyllis Wise
Phyllis Wise

Pros
  • Generally a pretty flexible work environment depending on the department you get hired at (in 18 reviews)

• If you enjoy good work-life balance, this is the place to be (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • small town makes you sometimes bored; (in 17 reviews)

• A little bit far away from big cities (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

189 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Temporary Assistant for CSL Lab

Current Employee - Temporary Assistant in Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Temporary Assistant in Urbana, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Can work remotely and get paid decently by hour. Supervisor and lab PI are very friendly and accomodating.

Cons

Hard to understand at what phase my project was as my supervisor and others were more concerned with other projects. No promotions for temporary worker unless they move on to a part-time/full-time position there.

Overall I have had a very good experience.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Urbana, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In general I have found the faculty to be very supportive, both in classes and research. The research resources at the university are fantastic. The campus life is good, as well.

Cons

Overall the compensation is low, but is about average for a graduate research assistantship. Can end up spending significant portions of time on your own, so may not be the best position for a 'social butterfly'.

Family-like Environment with Diversity

Former Employee - Programmer in Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Programmer in Urbana, IL

I worked at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The most thing I liked about the place is its flexible work hours, academic holidays and vacation, and its diverse and family-like work environment where people cares each other. People come from diverse cultural background making everyday more interesting.

Cons

Academic environment doesn't often come with the best innovation, and often time daily work can be little boring I guess. Then people would get less motivated for their work and career growth.

Great opportunities, poor management

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Urbana, IL

I worked at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My coworkers were all pretty interesting people and there was a strong sense of camaraderie within departments. The University does a lot of different things so there are quite a few opportunities to learn new technologies and try new things, as long as you are interested in staying in IT.

Cons

The internal politics are distracting and make it harder to get real work done. I found that this employer killed my enthusiasm fairly quickly once I realized most of the managers only paid lip service to your ideas. Also, there was always far more work than time. Crisis mode was pretty constant.

If you join as an hourly worker, figure out how to get salaried as soon as possible. Benefits for hourly workers are pretty much non-existent.

Work harder to keep talented people. I saw an alarming number of people come and go during my short time at UIUC. I ended up being one of them.

great

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Urbana, IL

I worked at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is a good university with good environment, excellent facilities, friendly people. I can skate there.

Cons

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is a good university, but winter is too long and too cold, and the place is not very safe.

good school

Friendly peers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

I worked at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign part-time

Pros

Nice people to work with.

Cons

Away from big cities.

No comment. They're doing what they're supposed to do.

Graduate TA for ECE198jl

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Urbana, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing students. For every discussion I taught students usually ask high-quality questions.

Cons

Since often asked for hard questions, need to prepare well before the class

Nice opportunity for graduate students

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Urbana, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Payment is relatively high considering that tuition is also waived for teaching assistants.
    Work amount is reasonable.
    Professors are nice and easy to work with.

Cons

Balance between work and research. For some courses, work amount is significant higher than others.

working at University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Urbana, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It has pretty good library access, and the facility is decent.

Cons

The city is kind of small and not much attractions around, you can get bored easily here.

Wonderful University for Engineering

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Urbana, IL

Pros

Prestigious university of engineering, great opportunities of research and leading professors. Champaign-Urbana is a good and cheap place for life

Cons

location I guess. The twin cities are in the middle of nowhere. You have to drive two and half hours to Chicago for a fair meal which is discouraging.

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Photos