University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

• Urbana, IL
4.2
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Chancellor Phyllis Wise
Phyllis Wise

1. Great place to work. You'll get all the perks.

Current Employee - Computer Assistant in Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Computer Assistant in Urbana, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Pros

Great experience, great environment. You'll get all the perks working here. You'll be surrounded by intelligent people.

Cons

Too far from the city for me.

2. I teach advertising and public relations classes for the College of Media, Department of Advertising.

Current Employee - Visiting Lecturer in Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Visiting Lecturer in Urbana, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Pros

Interacting with students and learning about the ever-evolving field of advertising, marketing, PR and communications, especially new media.

Cons

Lack of funding, internal and external "politics," lack of autonomy to get things done, and the challenges of millennials.

3. I am working here as Building Supervisor at the Event Services as a part-time. It is a wonderful university!

Current Employee - Building Supervisor in Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Building Supervisor in Urbana, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee friendly, Systematic and helps students to work,play and study

Cons

More compensation and fund availability

5. EE student

Current Employee - EE Student in Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - EE Student in Urbana, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are plenty of resources and knowledgeable peers who you can use and consult. The atmosphere is good.

Cons

There are less available opportunities for international students compared school in California and east coast.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if the professors can respond more student emails and possibly more in time. Also, there should be more academic events all over the year to provide more opportunities for students to show their skills.

6. Undergraduate Research Assistant

Former Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Urbana, IL

I worked at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign part-time

Pros

Friendly staff, very helpful, lots of resources available, excellent libraries. I enjoyed working in a research laboratory for biomechanics and getting to work with all types of people and subjects.

Cons

The location of Champaign-Urbana is quite far from the nearest city, so often we would have to travel a lot for conferences and meetings with other clients. It was also hard to find a large subject pool meeting our requirements in such a small area.

Advice to Management

I wish that many more labs on campus had the funding to be able to pay undergraduate research assistants. As a volunteer, I was often distraught by not getting paid for the amount of work I was doing.

7. Research Assistant as a graduate student in University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Urbana, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Active research group, friendly atmosphere, good pay and tuition waiver, interesting projects to work on and a large campus

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult to find the proper group to work with. Besides, it may also be confusing that which groups are available.

Advice to Management

It will be better to hold more student session and workshops. Staff should be more open to students' questions. Notice should be made faster to be accessed.

8. Good Research School with Good Research Infra

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Urbana, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed Environment for Post-docs or Research Associate - it may depend on your PI.
    Safe living environment
    Low living cost

Cons

When you want to get industry job, there is not much actual 'permanent position' around.

9. Nice university, bad weather

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Urbana, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great engineering program, one of the top colleges in the county. Campus is big and diverse, which comes handy when you are interested in interdisciplinary study. Good infrastructure in general.

Cons

The weather is nothing compared to the west coast or the south... long, long winters with snow... Also transportation to near big cities is not ideally convenient.

Advice to Management

Increase the faculty-student ratio may help to provide more targeted education. Can offer more networking channel to the industry to defray the inconvenience on campus location.

10. A good university that handles student employment well.

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Urbana, IL

I worked at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked as a research assistant for the university - not a glamorous job, but everything was handled well by HR and I had a decent time there working for a professor. I never got the impression that they were unprofessional or untimely.

Cons

Obviously, it's not great pay, but this is coming from a research assistant. It was definitely nice to mention on my resume, but not exactly a huge career boost, either.

Advice to Management

I don't have much advice - perhaps to make the timesheet system more electronic. I'd rather not turn it in by hand at the end of the week when the process of filling it out is all electronic anyway. But, that was a while ago, and perhaps things have changed.

11. very flexible working schedule

Current Contractor - Research Assistant in Urbana, IL
    Current Contractor - Research Assistant in Urbana, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

you are very flexible to work and professor is very friendly and accessible.you have meeting with professor once a week to get assignment.salary paid every two weeks.

Cons

salary is low and the work load is unstable. you have to work to every details and you are not supposed to make mistakes.

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Photos