University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics

Ken Kates

Positive experience

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Typical large hospital environment with generally nice people. Can be a confusing place to navigate and many parts of the hospital are quite old. However they are constantly building and expanding not only on the structure but the general environment of the hospital as a whole. Its situated in a small town obviously but there are still plenty of things to do and a very friendly midwest environment will greet you. Perk-access to the university rec center.

Cons

Confusing to navigate, over priced food, and horrible elevators!

Storeroom

Former Employee - Storekeeper II in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Storekeeper II in Iowa City, IA

I worked at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working in the storeroom was nice. They were flexible with scheduling and my co workers were very nice. It is also a relaxed work environment.

Cons

There weren't too many cons about working in the storeroom. There is a lot of walking, and it is easy to make a mistake by picking the wrong product. Besides that there aren't any issues.

Amazing place to work for as a student!

Former Employee - Student in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Student in Iowa City, IA

Pros

Flexible shift, great management and a best of all great pay.

Cons

None that I can think of

Good and not so good

Current Employee - Research Assistant/Data Manager in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant/Data Manager in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance as I am usually able to take off when needed for vacation or sick time. Great research facilities with some of the best doctors around.

Cons

Parking is terrible for employees and patients and can cost an arm and a leg the closer you get to the hospital. Wait lists are riduculous for certain lots and if you're not a doctor or "high-up" you don't move very much on these wait lists. It took over 3 years to be offered a spot in Finkbine and at that rate will probably take about 10 years + to be offered a spot at Kinnick. There is no opportunity to move up or get a raise as everything is extremely structured and the amount of paperwork to be done to get a simple raise is outrageous. I've been waiting almost 6 months now to have paperwork filled out for a raise/status change to even qualify me for a raise. Once the paperwork is filled out, it still has to go in front of a hospital board for approval, so no gurantees there. I've also noticed a lot of departments/personnel only care about degrees and not experience. And, if you're not a nurse or medical professional, the only extra training you will receive is what you seek out for yourself.

Offer extra training programs and incentives to employees. Redesign pay structures and stop overpaying "high-ups".

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have many open spots for current students and do not require you to work a grueling amount of hours on top of your class schedule. Pays well to the poor college students compared to everything else around the town paying at minimum wage. Schedules are set for the entire semester so you never need to know when you are working that week. Can easily get a scheduling change as long as it is a week before that change.

Cons

Student supervisors write you up if you are only a few minutes late, even if it was just after an exam or something of that nature.

Nice people, nice environment

I have been working at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics

Pros

great teaching hospital, many opportunities

Cons

in the middle of nowhere

Overnight work can be very rewarding, but not much feedback from management staff.

Former Employee - Psychiatry Nursing Assistant in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Psychiatry Nursing Assistant in Iowa City, IA

I worked at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, willing to work with school schedule, and change hours after you've completed 6 month orientation. Rewarding to work with patients and coworkers.

Cons

As a overnight worker never saw my manager, when I got my 6 month review, I only had one feedback comment, which was positive and was given by a very nice nurse. Otherwise, if someone hadn't liked me, they could have submitted feedback. So not very balanced review of the quality of my work.

Try to make the feedback system more personal.

stressful

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Iowa City, IA

I worked at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

big hospital with patients coming from all over Iowa with complex conditions

Cons

terrible transportation system. Their internship didn't have a structure

Don't give up on your Interns. I had a different RN preceptor on every shift I worked, which confused me more and made me really stressful. I discussed this with the unit manager but nothing changed. They kept extending my Internship period without communicating the reason and finally called me saying that they will transfer me to another unit. Went to the meet they asked me to go to talk about the other unit they will send me to, went and found out that they I had to leave because i didn't meet the expectations

Working a Temporary Position despite being a College Graduate

I have been working at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is above average of most places in Iowa City, Day shift hours (for those who have always worked horrid irregular hours)

Cons

Where to start? No parking (they'll make you pay for a spot that will leave you still with a short walk to work), extremely difficult to move up the ladder, many positions require the horrid merrit approval, and their systems are constantly changing. People are fake, doctors and nurses think they are better than everyone

Get rid of merit office

Management is based on MSN, not ability to manage people.

Former Employee - Acute Dialysis BSN in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Acute Dialysis BSN in Iowa City, IA

I worked at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun fast work place with young people in the learning phase of their careers. Great compensation and benefits.

Cons

Management. Probation period for nurses ridiculously long, 9 months???

Don't think having a MSN makes you a good choice for management. If you want to fire someone at least allow an opportunity to transfer to another department.