University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics

Add Photos

Ken Kates

Wonderful place to work

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsMany opportunities to change positions while still working for the hospital. Higher pay than many other hospitals in Iowa and Illinois. guaranteed raise for merit employees after first year.

ConsMust pay for parking, can be a hassle. And there is always construction going on. Watch out for parking tickets...they will catch you if you park in the wrong place.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Working a Temporary Position despite being a College Graduate

ProsPay is above average of most places in Iowa City, Day shift hours (for those who have always worked horrid irregular hours)

ConsWhere to start? No parking (they'll make you pay for a spot that will leave you still with a short walk to work), extremely difficult to move up the ladder, many positions require the horrid merrit approval, and their systems are constantly changing. People are fake, doctors and nurses think they are better than everyone

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of merit office

Management is based on MSN, not ability to manage people.

Acute Dialysis BSN (Former Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsFun fast work place with young people in the learning phase of their careers. Great compensation and benefits.

ConsManagement. Probation period for nurses ridiculously long, 9 months???

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't think having a MSN makes you a good choice for management. If you want to fire someone at least allow an opportunity to transfer to another department.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It has the potential to be great, but politics will keep you down unfortunately.

ProsBenefits are probably the best part of working here. Time off is adequate. The overall environment is a positive one and they strive for patient satisfaction.

ConsThe merit union is the biggest downfall in my opinion. Employees in merit positions aren't compensated as well as the other union and this drives people away, like myself. An example of the discrimination between unions in the same office is the 2nd shift differential. Merit employees make about $100/week when the P&S union employees make $500/week. That is just the tip of the iceberg! The merit union is only really there to protect employees that do something wrong, plain and simple. Also, there is hardly any chance for advancement or promotion unless you take an entirely new position elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake employees feel valued and get the unions on par with each other. Maybe then the turnover rate wouldn't be so high in areas like mine.

Great place to work!

Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible hours for student employees
    Great training programs
    Room for growth

ConsCalling in sick or "signing off" is annoying, half the time the message doesn't make it to nurse manager

Guest Services

Guest Services (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent balance between school and work.

ConsFull-time employees tend to slack off.

Good Experience

Student Programmer (Current Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsFlexible hours around school, a lot of good experience with programming.

ConsThere was not anything bad about working there. All of the other programmers were very helpful.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery 6 months there is a chance for a promotion.

Poor management and lack of officer support

Hospital Security Officer (Former Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsGreat officers, decent benefits as long as union contract was strong.

ConsPoor support from director and assistant director.

Excellent Benefits

Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsLots of opportunities for advancement. Good pay and great benefits. Most employees are very professional. Good working environment throughout, employees voices are heard and respected.

ConsLarge organization, too much administration/high ranked individuals making decisions for the rest of us when they don't know how they will affect the actual workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel that there should be annual supervisor and manager reviews just like there are annual employee reviews. This should be a 2 way street.

Great place to work

Budget Accountant (Current Employee) Iowa City, IA

Prosgreat place to focus on your academic research.

Conspeople don't communicate too much.

Worked for University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics? Contribute to the Community!