University of Iowa

Be The First To
Add Photos

University of Iowa President Sally K. Mason

Sally K. Mason

Pros
  • Great benefits, great community in which to live and raise a family(in 13 reviews)

• Great work environment and people(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • You start out at a low pay and yearly raises are next to nothing(in 5 reviews)

• Graduate students often just explained enough to get through the experiments, only given simple online training for safety hazards(in 4 reviews)

125 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Humanities graduate student

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsThe humanities programs at Iowa are decent, Iowa City has a lot of culture for a small town, and graduate student compensation is pretty good.

ConsIt's graduate school. You work long hours for relatively little thanks or credit. Classes and research leave little time to work outside of a TAship or RAship.

Awesome working atmosphere

Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsSmall town environment
    Affordable cost of living
    Midwest hospitality

ConsFar from big cities
    the only place you have to pay your own tuition among the Big Ten
    Not much collaborations with other top ranked universities

I was TA in Chemistry

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsNice and calm city,people are amicable and free bus service for the university and mall
    nice food and community nearby

ConsLots of snow in the state, Some time more work is taken from lab TA like lab cleaning and equipment cleaning which is not what grad student should do

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand need of international students

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Graduate Teaching Assistant

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsGreat people to work for!

ConsA regular graduate teaching/research assistantship does not cover summer months.

Fantastic institution to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsThe University of Iowa offers fantastic benefits, more-than-competitive salary, and a friendly environment.

ConsI would say that the cons to working at the University of Iowa are slim to non. I like it here.

It was a good experience while being in college.

Computer Tech (Former Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsIt is a short commute to class and flexible with your school schedule.

ConsThe pay is lower than I would have liked.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work mentoring student employees.

I am very happy with my experience as an RA and the relationships I developed with my residents, staff and management.

Resident Assistant (Current Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsThe benefits of being an RA at Iowa are unheard of elsewhere and if you have a personality that fits the job well it is easy to put in the time that being an RA requires.

ConsIf you are really interested in changing the way things are done and being extremely innovative this might not be the job for you. The status quo is valued at Iowa.

One of the most amazing adventures of my life: the people I have met, and the things that I have learned.

Student Office Worker/Ambassador (Current Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsThe most amazing people that I work with, awesome work environment and camaraderie around the office.

ConsConstantly being on campus after a long day at school or long nights studying.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeeping up the office chemistry and making the students happy brings in great results!

Desk Clerk Currier/Stanley

Desk Clerk (Former Employee) Iowa City, IA

Prosflexible hours depending on your classes. You can work on homework during your shift once you finish all your tasks. Other co-works are usually really good about switching/ covering shifts when you can not work. If you go home for the summer or study abroad, you can continue working the following semester

ConsYou start out at a low pay and yearly raises are next to nothing. Overnight shift is required. Weekend shift is also required. You might also have to work over Thanksgiving or spring break.

Good place to work, bad manager

Manager, Public Relations (Former Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsGood benefits, committed colleagues. Located in a great place to live. An intellectually stimulating environment. Opportunities for professional development in some departments and units.

ConsBelow-market salaries; difficult managers in many departments and units. Not a lot of transparency regarding important decisions and changes. An unfortunate number of disengaged employees across the institution

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more up-front about decisions that affect employees. If you ask for employee input, actually take it into account--don't just solicit input and then go ahead with pre-determined plan of action.

Worked for University of Iowa? Contribute to the Community!