University of Iowa

Updated November 24, 2014
4.1

University of Iowa President Sally K. Mason
Sally K. Mason

Pros
  • Great benefits, great community in which to live and raise a family (in 13 reviews)

• Good benefits, quiet place to live, no traffic, easy access to various facilities, low living cost (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • There is low-pay, but only because the job is created as a learning experience for students (in 7 reviews)

• Graduate students often just explained enough to get through the experiments, only given simple online training for safety hazards (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

145 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I've only worked as a TA in the Computer Science department, but overall I've had no major complaints.

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It completely depends on which professor you are teamed with, but my experiences have been generally positive so far. The amount of work is appropriate, and they are as accommodating as possible with schedules.

Cons

The only real problems I've had have been related to miscommunication between professors and students on assignments. I have nothing negative to say about the work environment besides the fact that many of us did not have real offices due to space constraints, which for me is more of a minor inconvenience since I prefer to work at a coffee house, anyway. Oh, and TA assignments are rarely settled more than a couple weeks ahead of the semester's start--at least I knew that I would have one, just not which class.

Loved working here, this is a great place to work during college

Current Employee - Assistant Service Technician in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Assistant Service Technician in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training process was easy, the city is great it has a great environment. They give you off for breaks too which is one of my favorite things because you get to visit family for thanksgiving and christmas.

Cons

It is horribly cold in the winter along with super icy every where you go because they use sand to get rid of it and not salt.

Teaching assistant

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I got a chance to help my student and upgrade my knowledge and there is good environment to all access that help you to teaching and helping students. There is good compensation and it is well ranked university too.

Cons

I did not see any bad approach from any leaderships administration. They are really helpful and try their best to equip you with all necessary materials.

It is good to have such good environment in work places and it is to the more profitable to work with your employee very closely. This helps not only to the growth of personal relationship but also to the development and prosperity of the company.

Steady but uninteresting

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on your boss it's low stress, easy work.

Pay is decent, benefits are very good.

Cons

Not a lot of room for regular employees to innovate, only the "chosen ones" by management can introduce changes

Subpar learning environment for a college

Raises are pretty small and bad employees get the same as the good

Need to reduce the red tape and cut down on waste from certain employees

Encourage low level employees to suggest and develop changes instead of fellow MBAs

Great place to work, do research and study

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

peaceful work environment, very accessible, don't have to spend too much time traveling, good insurance and benefits, good salary for this geographic area given the standard of living.

Cons

Employment opportunities limited, work culture varies with labs.

nice place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Research Scientist in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Assistant Research Scientist in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cons

cold weather, long winter, more opportunities to be provided for professional development

Something might be taken to save energy and go green, instead of keep campus freezingly cold all year around - winter is already too long at this place.

Good Job Bad Pay

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A great environment, always progressing and striving to get better and build research.

Cons

Academia cannot compete with industry salaries. Unless you are training or transitioning it is not wise to work in academia for a long time outside of professor/PI/MD roles.

Compete with industry salaries to retain great staff, ditch the current method of promotion.

A wonderful experience of learning and growth.

Former Employee - Web Developer in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Iowa City, IA

I worked at University of Iowa part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay as a student, exposure to practically every field you'd ever be interested, and opportunities to support you. I learned a ton of invaluable skills in interpersonal interaction, coding, and instructing customers. I got to travel as well. Compensation is about what you'd expect for a student part-time job. Iowa City is wonderful.

Cons

Some of the bosses I had here seemed a little to complacent with how things were, and not how they could be better. You don't have much say in a lot of what happens round the office. Nepotism is rampant. My boss was a little incompetent at returning basic emails, and was very passive aggressive in his communication.

You have a wonderful, easy job, but that doesn't mean you should just sit there and take it for granted. Work a little harder, and you may see an improvement in overall employee work efficiency.

Good experience at Uiowa

Current Employee - Computer Aide in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Computer Aide in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work
    Awesome city
    good pay and benefits

Cons

budget cuts projected in the future

none

Poor management, stable employment

Former Employee - Software Developer in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Iowa City, IA

I worked at University of Iowa full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You don't have to work particularly hard and rarely does anyone get let go.

Cons

There's not much upward mobility. Pretty much the only way to get a promotion or a significant pay raise is to get a job offer from another company. Management is much more political than effective.

Stop playing politics. Hire people for their skills, not their ability to suck up.