University of Iowa

Add Photos

University of Iowa President Sally K. Mason

Sally K. Mason

121 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great first time research experience, wish i would have done more.

Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    Iowa City, IA

ProsA lot of flexibility with scheduling, Graduate students were very helpful in getting started and explaining advanced concepts, it was a very relaxed environment.

ConsGraduate students often just explained enough to get through the experiments, only given simple online training for safety hazards.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake research opportunities more accessible to students and give more options for student idea-based research topics.

Very satisfied

Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    Iowa City, IA

ProsGreat work environment and people. very flexible.

ConsParking is horrendous, you almost certainly have to pay to park off campus and take a free campus bus in every morning.

Iowa OSA

Archaeologists (Former Employee)
    Iowa City, IA

ProsGood archaeologists. You will learn a lot.

ConsYou have to really push the beaurocracy to get your per diem.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enjoyable environment while pay was low

Senior Applications Developer (Current Employee)
    Iowa City, IA

ProsVery nice environment to work. People are respectful and generally supportive. Benefits are very good with 2 days of vacation and one and half day of sick leave per month. Work is easy.

Conspay was low. no that much chance to get professionally trained. life in iowa city is kind of bored even there are lots activities.

Great experience overall.

Study Abroad (Former Employee)
    Iowa City, IA

ProsMany opportunities for job and personal growth and leadership development.

ConsNot always open to new ideas or willing to give new employees a say in decision making.

"Cool working atmosphere"

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee)
    Iowa City, IA

ProsMost of the Professors are very understanding and helping. Good pay for a student job, covers health insurance and most of the tution. Not allot of pressure like other graduate assistant jobs.

ConsOverall for this job, I think CS Department is pretty nice and cool. More work load in the finals week.

A great institution which values diversity and creates resources for employees to grow in their careers, and home life.

Administrative Services Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Iowa City, IA

ProsThe University of Iowa adds an additional $130.00 to my paycheck each month to help pay for my health insurance. Because of this, I pay a total of $50.00/month for myself and my 2 children. This is just one example of the amazing benefits the UI makes available for their employees.

The diversity efforts on campus are numerous, as many of the colleges, departments, and organizations, have some kind of involvement in a committee or initiative focusing on diversity and how to maintain an inclusive environment for all. This is important to me as a non-white, low-income, single, mother of two.

ConsThe UI is so large, that each department or organization has developed it's own culture and common practices. I was very lucky to land a job in such a forward-thinking, flexible, and trust-worthy organization which values it's employees to the fullest, however, if I were to apply for another position elsewhere at the UI, I would be risking giving up this environment for one that might be a micromanaging nightmare.

We get paid once a month, which causes me and everyone else I know in a pay grade similar to mine, to be flat broke before the next 1st of the month rolls around. Also, this really hurts employees when they first start a new job at the UI because they will not get paid until the 1st of the following month.

The University of Iowa has great transportation options since parking space is extremely limited and expensive downtown and at the hospital. The cheapest being the $12.00 bus pass, which employees can have deducted from their paycheck each month. The van pool is also convenient for those not living close to a bus route, or even for those living in other towns and cities and will cost a little over $40/month. But...

...as someone who has no option but to drive to work because I require having two child car seats to take my children to daycare each morning and pick them up each afternoon, it is unfortunate that parking is so expensive ($98.00/month for a ramp if you're able to wait months or even YEARS on the wait list, or about $55.00 for a lot that you either walk a very long way to and from, or have to take a shuttle to/from with limited run hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementFree or low cost daycare for low to mid income employees is a must. As someone who's paycheck comes out to about $2200 after taxes, one can only imagine how the quality of life is for a family when they are obligated to pay over $1000/month in daycare. (and I am just over the income guideline for state assistance, so that is not an option.) The flex spending program for daycare is not enough. That alone only saves me about $400.00/year in daycare costs and the process to claim it is much too time consuming as I pay my provider weekly.

Organizing a central resource to reserve conference rooms, venues, and equipment would be greatly beneficial, since currently, each organization has their own method, contact person, and policies. (Many do not use Outlook either). I'm sure there are multiple places we could use for our monthly meetings that are closer, more accessible, or more convenient, but we'll never know until we discover them by happenstance.

What's with the whole merit staff vs professional/scientific staff thing? Why can't it just be one system? I've known many friends and family members who works for UIHC who don't get to participate in the workshops and free receptions and events on campus and I think that's unfair. Also the pay and benefits are different. How boring would that job be if you don't ever get to grow and network and do fun things at the place you commit so much time too?

Rhetoric TA

Rhetoric TA (Current Employee)
    Iowa City, IA

ProsRhetoric is a great department to TA in as there is a lot of professional development. It's also very collegiate and less condescending toward undergrads than other departments.

ConsRhetoric isn't taken as seriously in the university so a lot of politics which you can generally avoid if you don't want to be a part of it. More of an issue for permanent faculty but there can be trickle down.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick it to the men up the hill. Keep doing what you're doing. Undergrads love you even if they don't know it yet.

Teaching Assistant

Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsEasy Work and Reasonable Pay

ConsDemanding Professor and Cheap Dean

Good work/life blance

Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    Iowa City, IA

ProsA peace and nice city to live in and very well balanced of work and life

ConsToo much snow in winter

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for University of Iowa? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Iowa reviews and ratings in Iowa City, IA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Iowa CEO Sally K. Mason. All 121 reviews posted anonymously by University of Iowa employees.