University of Iowa Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
University of Iowa President Sally K. Mason
Sally K. Mason

Pros
  • great people, interesting projects, great benefits (in 13 reviews)

• very good benefits and working environments (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • There is low-pay, but only because the job is created as a learning experience for students (in 7 reviews)

• Not a lot of job search help for graduate students in the hard-sciences looking to get a job in industry (in 4 reviews)

1. Good compensation and cause, awkward culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation packages tend to be generous for permanent hires. Environment is intellectually and socially stimulating.

Cons

Organization is bureaucratic and slow to move. Wide range of performance is tolerated, from full engagement to phoning it it. Leadership is always on the defensive.

Advice to Management

Resist the impulse to stay in the bunker. Make and articulate bold choices rooted in institutional values.

2. Great Institution that is trying to improve

Current Employee - Tennis Instructor in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Tennis Instructor in Iowa City, IA

Pros

Good benefits Good schools Some excellent programs Placement into Chicago

Cons

Iowa is incredibly boring Programs are good but not top tier Needs to figure out future

3. Steady but uninteresting

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on your boss it's low stress, easy work. Pay is decent, benefits are very good.

Cons

Not a lot of room for regular employees to innovate, only the "chosen ones" by management can introduce changes Subpar learning environment for a college Raises are pretty small and bad employees get the same as the good

Advice to Management

Need to reduce the red tape and cut down on waste from certain employees Encourage low level employees to suggest and develop changes instead of fellow MBAs

Poor management, stable employment

Former Employee - Software Developer in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Iowa City, IA

I worked at University of Iowa full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You don't have to work particularly hard and rarely does anyone get let go.

Cons

There's not much upward mobility. Pretty much the only way to get a promotion or a significant pay raise is to get a job offer from another company. Management is much more political than effective.

Advice to Management

Stop playing politics. Hire people for their skills, not their ability to suck up.

Opportunities for learning and professional growth are abundant at the University of Iowa

Current Employee - Administrative Services Coordinator in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As the major public sector employer in Iowa City and surrounding areas, the UI has much to offer: generally good pay and benefits, and many internal job opportunities.

Cons

I've been at the UI for over 30 years, first as a student and now as an employee. It saddens me that this venerable public institution has suffered massive losses in funding from the state (like so many universities across the country) and, as a consequence, is now forced to pursue fundraising and corporate strategies at an ever more frantic pace in order to support every new initiative and even maintain a fast-eroding base of core educational programs and services.

Advice to Management

Some of the salaries of middle-senior managers are obscenely high while the people who actually make the university run have seen their salaries barely (if at all) keep pace with inflation. Why hire Deloitte Consulting to figure out how to save money? Let's keep the millions you're paying them and invest it in something that actually adds value to the UI!

7. Enjoyable environment while pay was low

Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very nice environment to work. People are respectful and generally supportive. Benefits are very good with 2 days of vacation and one and half day of sick leave per month. Work is easy.

Cons

pay was low. no that much chance to get professionally trained. life in iowa city is kind of bored even there are lots activities.

8. Great experience overall.

Former Employee - Study Abroad in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Study Abroad in Iowa City, IA

I worked at University of Iowa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities for job and personal growth and leadership development.

Cons

Not always open to new ideas or willing to give new employees a say in decision making.

9. A great institution which values diversity and creates resources for employees to grow in their careers, and home life.

Current Employee - Administrative Services Coordinator in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The University of Iowa adds an additional $130.00 to my paycheck each month to help pay for my health insurance. Because of this, I pay a total of $50.00/month for myself and my 2 children. This is just one example of the amazing benefits the UI makes available for their employees. The diversity efforts on campus are numerous, as many of the colleges, departments, and organizations, have some kind of involvement in a committee or initiative focusing on diversity and how to maintain an inclusive environment for all. This is important to me as a non-white, low-income, single, mother of two.

Cons

The UI is so large, that each department or organization has developed it's own culture and common practices. I was very lucky to land a job in such a forward-thinking, flexible, and trust-worthy organization which values it's employees to the fullest, however, if I were to apply for another position elsewhere at the UI, I would be risking giving up this environment for one that might be a micromanaging nightmare. We get paid once a month, which causes me and everyone else I know in a pay grade similar to mine, to be flat broke before the next 1st of the month rolls around. Also, this really hurts employees when they first start a new job at the UI because they will not get paid until the 1st of the following month. The University of Iowa has great transportation options since parking space is extremely limited and expensive downtown and at the hospital. The cheapest being the $12.00 bus pass, which employees can have deducted from their paycheck each month. The van pool is also convenient for those not living close to a bus route, or even for those living in other towns and cities and will cost a little over $40/month. But... ...as someone who has no option but to drive to work because I require having two child car seats to take my children to daycare each morning and pick them up each afternoon, it is unfortunate that parking is so expensive ($98.00/month for a ramp if you're able to wait months or even YEARS on the wait list, or about $55.00 for a lot that you either walk a very long way to and from, or have to take a shuttle to/from with limited run hours.

Advice to Management

Free or low cost daycare for low to mid income employees is a must. As someone who's paycheck comes out to about $2200 after taxes, one can only imagine how the quality of life is for a family when they are obligated to pay over $1000/month in daycare. (and I am just over the income guideline for state assistance, so that is not an option.) The flex spending program for daycare is not enough. That alone only saves me about $400.00/year in daycare costs and the process to claim it is much too time consuming as I pay my provider weekly. Organizing a central resource to reserve conference rooms, venues, and equipment would be greatly beneficial, since currently, each organization has their own method, contact person, and policies. (Many do not use Outlook either). I'm sure there are multiple places we could use for our monthly meetings that are closer, more accessible, or more convenient, but we'll never know until we discover them by happenstance. What's with the whole merit staff vs professional/scientific staff thing? Why can't it just be one system? I've known many friends and family members who works for UIHC who don't get to participate in the workshops and free receptions and events on campus and I think that's unfair. Also the pay and benefits are different. How boring would that job be if you don't ever get to grow and network and do fun things at the place you commit so much time too?

10. Rhetoric TA

Current Employee - Rhetoric TA in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Rhetoric TA in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rhetoric is a great department to TA in as there is a lot of professional development. It's also very collegiate and less condescending toward undergrads than other departments.

Cons

Rhetoric isn't taken as seriously in the university so a lot of politics which you can generally avoid if you don't want to be a part of it. More of an issue for permanent faculty but there can be trickle down.

Advice to Management

Stick it to the men up the hill. Keep doing what you're doing. Undergrads love you even if they don't know it yet.

11. Humanities graduate student

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The humanities programs at Iowa are decent, Iowa City has a lot of culture for a small town, and graduate student compensation is pretty good.

Cons

It's graduate school. You work long hours for relatively little thanks or credit. Classes and research leave little time to work outside of a TAship or RAship.

RSS Feed </> Embed